Is it really possible to get a bachelors degree?
Create Post

Is it really possible to get a bachelors degree?

I was just curious if it is really possible to get a bachelors degree while serving 4 years in the Marine Corp? Especially a music ed degree? My recruiter says yes, but I still can't see how it is possible. Just curious

If your in a non deployable mos then yes you can. But most likely not your best bet is to wait until your out since youll have the time and the g.i. bill

possible. but very unlikely in 4 years if you're starting from scratch.

There are a lot of college credit MCIs out there that you can do for free, 3 at a time. There's also online universities, something a lot of Marines opt for. I do know a couple Marines actually attending classes, and they always complain about how they have no free time.

It could probably be done if you take no brakes from it.

Could it be done? I suppose it is possible. A better question is whether it is something you personally can do, or should even try.

The average college student takes five years to graduate. They may be working a job on the side, but college is their main activity. As a Marine, your main activity is being a Marine. Everything else comes second.

I took classes as often as I could. However, that worked out to no more than 2 classes in any given semester and some semesters where class wasn't possible as well. Even online colleges have their limitations when you're in the field. It is hard to study when you're in the field. It is hard to believe that you're going to have an internet connection when you're a few miles from an electric light. And, taking books or a laptop with you, when everything you have is in your pack, becomes an exercise in futility.

Being a music major would make it even more difficult. All of the music majors I know had to have their tail ends in class, often playing instruments. Depending where you get stationed, that may not be a possibility at all. You'll have to be close enough to a university that offers a bachelors degree in Music Education... not all of them do.

It looks like you're going to have to make a decision. Either be a Marine or be a college student. You can do both at the same time, but something is going to have to take a back seat; and it won't be the Marine Corps.

I know of an 0311 that was short 6 credits of his Bachelors degree in his four year contract. He did all this through correspondence course and mostly on the "Machine's" dime.

We were a unit that deployed to Japan every 18 months and spent some pretty hefty time in the field.

He was an exception to the norm though and it had alot to do with his commitment level. Just saying all is possible, but not always probable.

Traditional correspondence courses are probably the best way to try to take a great deal of courses. You can throw a notebook into a seabag and it isn't much of an issue. But, I don't think that is too practical for this particular person- the major in question doesn't work well with not being in a traditional classroom setting.

Drwilkinson -

I would suggest you do whatever you can to get as many pre-reqs out of the way as possible, for example your English, history, math, ect, ect. Those type classes. Have you heard of the CLEP program? Well basically you can take a test and if you pass, you will receive college credit for the class. I did this and it helped GREATLY. I pretty much got almost 20 hrs. of college out of the way right off the bat. Also most bases (all I have been at) there is an education office, those people are there to help you, I would highly suggest you use them.

Here is a link to CLEP, its great, and as active duty military you can take the tests for free ($70-$100 saved) ...get a study guide and take some tests! It can be done, it just takes alot of commitment on your part!

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/...lep/about.html

I'm not even in the Marines anymore and I won't have my degree in 4 years! I'm 3 years in and I have a year and a half left. I can't imagine how one would get a degree while being active duty.

Spartan, it took me a while to get through as well. I know others that have taken a ridiculous amount of time. Life sometimes makes it difficult to take 16 hours/semester every semester.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    Spartan, it took me a while to get through as well. I know others that have taken a ridiculous amount of time. Life sometimes makes it difficult to take 16 hours/semester every semester.

yeah, life does make it hard...also changing my major 4 times doesn't help!

I only changed twice!

Quote Originally Posted by usmcfan02
    Drwilkinson -

I would suggest you do whatever you can to get as many pre-reqs out of the way as possible, for example your English, history, math, ect, ect. Those type classes. Have you heard of the CLEP program? Well basically you can take a test and if you pass, you will receive college credit for the class. I did this and it helped GREATLY. I pretty much got almost 20 hrs. of college out of the way right off the bat. Also most bases (all I have been at) there is an education office, those people are there to help you, I would highly suggest you use them.

Here is a link to CLEP, its great, and as active duty military you can take the tests for free ($70-$100 saved) ...get a study guide and take some tests! It can be done, it just takes alot of commitment on your part!

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/...lep/about.html

Wow, thank you very much. I am definitely going to do that!

Thread Information