Life in the fleet
Create Post

Life in the fleet

Over the weekend I was talking to a couple Marines, and they said right after SOI they went right into the fleet. What is life like in the Fleet.

It varies depending on your mos

My MOS is infantry

Every day was the same. Reveille in the form of a Bosn's whistle. Sweepdowns fore and aft. endless chow lines. occasional seasickness. Ships work details. keeping swabs out of your seabag. Quarters inspections. Some free time topside. The liberty was great and the chow was the best.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    "Keeping swabbes outa your seabag" LOL. Impish little fellas,,,,,

What's the average time in the fleet, before either deployment or a
    orther field training

What do you mean average time? All "operational" units are a part of the "fleet." You'll be in the fleet from the time you check into your first unit until the day you get out- unless you end up with a B billet or something.

If you want to know what goes on daily, do a search- that has been covered countless times here.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your in fleet, unless you are assigned to a base unit,,,, like base comm or something. fleet and ship are not necessairly the same thing. Fleet means you're ready to go. 24 hours notice most of the time. Am I wrong Bros, or what?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    Your in fleet, unless you are assigned to a base unit,,,, like base comm or something. fleet and ship are not necessairly the same thing. Fleet means you're ready to go. 24 hours notice most of the time. Am I wrong Bros, or what?
    You are correct, Sparkie. The term being in "The Fleet" comes from the old Fleet Marine Force organizational structure.

Pretty much right- recruiters, DIs and the like aren't in the fleet- and I don't think that the Security Force guys are considered part of the FMF.

right, security forces isn't the fleet either. The fleet is the "primary" Marine Corps, not B billets, and not special assignments.

Oh man, if your a grunt....the fleet life is awesome. Because you are either in the field doing cool infantry stuff (well it can be miserable sometimes).....OR your in garrison. In the rear, we don't do ****. seriously. I watch movies, play XBOX 360 and sleep while waiting for "word". That's all it is, being on standby in your room waiting for word and doing little bull**** things here and there. You PT for an hour or so every morning, then usually having an accountability formation at 0800 and then get cut loose for libo at 1630, maybe earlier. chow is on your own of course, it aint like bootcamp or SOI.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    FMFLANT FMFWESPAC SEMPER FIDELIS

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    WESPAC, Fist... only way to go. Ferget those eastern boys.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up Fleet Marine Force-usmc

(LOL)THAT'S WHEN 2ND.FORCE HAD MY AZZ IN THE COLD ATLANTIC FLEET MARINE FORCE LANDING TEAM!!!

Thread Information