Ribbon's out of BootCamp
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ribbon's out of BootCamp

I Am kind curious as to what the Ribbon is for that I see on new Marines after they graduate from boot camp?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    National Defense & Global War on Terror

Oh Ok ???????? Wow It just seemed Odd that they got ribbons for what ? Joining the Corps ? Not knocking them but we didnt get one until our good Conduct period ended .

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    In the fifty years since the creation of the National Defense Service Medal, it is only authorized for the following time periods.GWOT.....Authorized to be awarded to servicemen who have participated in or served in support of Global War on Terrorism Operations outside the designated areas of eligibility (AOE) for the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, on or after 11 September 2001 to a date to be determined. Initial award of the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal (GWOTSM) will be limited to airport security operations (from 27 September 2001 through 31 May 2002) and soldiers who supported Operations Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.

THEY DO NOT RATE THE GWOT UNTIL THEY GET TO THERE FIRST DUTY STATION AND IF THEY ARE WEARING IT THEY OUT OF UNIFORM.

I don't know what to tell you about that, Chief. Our DI's made us wear them on the parade deck along with the whole company when we graduated.

Interesting. The GWOT service medal isn't supposed to be awarded until you've basically got 30 days in the FMF or some other assignment where you have 'contributed'. I wouldn't think recruit training would qualify. This may have been a mistake on someone's part.

Never can tell, really.

The 'firewatch' medal (aka National Defense Service medal) was originally instituted during the Korean war, BTW. Just a history note on that one. And, it's always been an 'automatic' award right out of recruit training.

You think our Marines are 'ribboned up'? A new Air Force 'airman' right out of recruit training has the potential to be wearing the following:

AF Basic training ribbon
    AF Small Arms Expert Ribbon
    AF Basic training honor graduate ribbon
    National Defense Service.

That's as many ribbons/medals as I had after 6 years way back when...LOL.

You are correct Sgt they are not supposed to wear it until they hit the fleet.

You think our Marines are 'ribboned up'? A new Air Force 'airman' right out of recruit training has the potential to be wearing the following:
    AF Basic training ribbon
    AF Small Arms Expert Ribbon
    AF Basic training honor graduate ribbon
    National Defense Service.

I think the air farce also gets one for being able to wipe their own butt without mommies help

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sweet shot Ed thanks bro. You made me spill my Mountain Dew sheesh.

Jim

And, it's always been an 'automatic' award right out of recruit training.
    I never got it , Or did you have to serve during those Time mentioned before ?

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefUSMC
    THEY DO NOT RATE THE GWOT UNTIL THEY GET TO THERE FIRST DUTY STATION AND IF THEY ARE WEARING IT THEY OUT OF UNIFORM.
    Gunnery Sargeant who exaclty rates the gwot im a reservest and i've seen others who haven't been deployed have it but no one in my who hasen't deployed has it.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonGunner67
    I never got it , Or did you have to serve during those Time mentioned before ?
    For the National Defense, one MUST have served during the aforementioned dates. Even though those of us "in harms way" at Ping Tung, Taiwan, were defending this nation, we still don't rate the NDS ribbon. Go figure!!

NDS Medal

ALL service members should receive the NDS Ribbon straight out of boot in my opinion because even though you are still in training, that training could always be disrupted to go fight a war somewhere. In addition to that we were all defending our country. Isn't Keeping the peace an honorable defense to war?

To top it off at the very least, those who were in areas of conflict should receive the NDS. A ribbon should not be given the criteria of dates only but should be given in honors for the purpose of it's named presentation.

Last edited by Merc6432; 11-20-07 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Title correction

Quote Originally Posted by osborned
    I don't know what to tell you about that, Chief. Our DI's made us wear them on the parade deck along with the whole company when we graduated.
    That can't be right. The entire company was out of uniform! Check MOL, under the "awards" sub-section to see if you rate to wear that ribbon.
    MCO says Active duty mbrs must be in FMF for 30 consecutive days, while Reservists must serve 60 days active in the FMF.

Thread Information