Winter Training
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Training

Winter Training

Alright, winter is approaching, and I live in missouri, so it can get pretty cold here.

What kind of stuff can I do in my own house in order to keep working out with?

I'm can currently run 3.1 miles in under 25 minutes(I intend to shave off at least 5 more minutes), can do 74 Sit-ups in 2 minutes, and do 2 pull-ups.

I have a basic work-out machine in my house, but its mainly a bicep/tricep workout machine, it can also work legs, but not well enough for running.

I have no pull up bar or anythign that can support the weight to be used as a pull up bar. Is it possible to build one in my basement? Like from the cross beam for the main level?

Thank you for your help Marines and fellow Poolees.

~Kevin Lewis

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You need to work on your pullups. Smalcom is our guru for that, here is his profile. At the bottom read all his posts and threads he had that same problem when he started here.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=23276

Jim

Thank you Sgt Jim (Dear God, I hope I got his rank right) I sent him a PM and asked him for his help, I need only wait for his info on that.

Anyone else who can contribute information, it will be greatly appreciative.

He is a Staff Sgt. It is a good idea to be familiar with things like that as well as to condition your body for boot camp.

http://www.marinefamily.com/rank.html

Thanks for the information Cpl Echo_Four_Bravo, thats another thing I need to learn, the ranks, I can never remember them for the life of me.

I'll end up memorizing, along with the Marine Hymn, General Orders and Sentry Duties.

Work on your sit-ups and crunches and back muscles especially. You have to go beyond failure and stay consistent with your workouts. Get some free weights, but try strength training and not bulking up too much...that will only hinder you in boot camp. Run as much as you can when you can and work on your stamina. I grew up in North Dakota so I know your dilemna. But you can go hiking when its not too cold...we used to go deer hunting and ice fishing. Just remember...the more work you put in now, before boot camp, the easier it will be for you, I promise you that!! Promise yourself to get in the best possible shape you can be before you ship out, thats a good way to stay motivated. Its like getting ready for something but you don't know what's coming...and thats the truth. But the stronger you are the more confidence you have in yourself to do whats required of you....you'll be glad you did it. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Lewis
    Thanks for the information Cpl Echo_Four_Bravo, thats another thing I need to learn, the ranks, I can never remember them for the life of me.

I'll end up memorizing, along with the Marine Hymn, General Orders and Sentry Duties.
    I had the same problem and before I went to MEPS my recruiter gave me a crash course. Just remember the 3 = Sergeant, 1 Rocker = Staff, 2 Rockers = Gunny, ect.

Kevin,
    Kind of a stretch on your question but an inexpensive set of snowshoes is a great way to build leg strength.

I am in Upstate NY so I can relate to the cold interfering with training

well, it doesn't snow much, but when it does, it does damage, like that ice storm last year that had people without power for a week in -5 degree temps.
    Its just the cold plus the fact I'm not to... well rich? I'm kinda poor to tell the truth

Kevin,
    I feel your pain. When I was training I used to use a wooden pole from my closet, run through the handles of an old wooden military crate (for ammo or rockets?) I would then fill it with old Encyclopedias from 1970 that we had gotten free. When I would do curls, etc I would know how much I was lifting (heavy, med, light) by what letters the books were. Looking back on it I have to laugh, but you do what you have to.

Buckets and sand do wonders for squats (legs), chopping wood helps the upper back, arms, core muscles, etc. Do a google search on improvised workout equipment and you may be suprised what you find out there....

It is only limited to your imagination and SAFETY of course.

Just thought of this too...sometimes if you talk with your recruiter and they have a connection at the local YMCA, it can be a good thing....just a thought. You can tell him you will be looking for contacts for him/her....

Sometimes its not fun if its safe though.... ahem, explosive training?

Either way, I understand what you say, I'm hoping for a lot of snow this year with plenty of ice so I can shovel drives. That helped a LOT I bet, because last year my back and arms where sore all over after doing 5 driveways

Sometimes its not fun if its safe though.... ahem, explosive training?

Either way, I understand what you say, I'm hoping for a lot of snow this year with plenty of ice so I can shovel drives. That helped a LOT I bet, because last year my back and arms where sore all over after doing 5 driveways
    Okay. I can't argue with the fact that dangerous=fun.

Remember Kevin, there is no glory in telling a story that you dropped a crate of books on yourself while you were working out....chicks do NOT dig it.

Carry on!

You got a point there Cpl, made me and my GF laugh, cause she just called me and I was laughing about that so I told her, she is not laughing at your pain along with me.

Anyways, I'll keep that in mind.... now then.... to go find some food, cause I'm bored off my bum

I had a pull-up bar in my bedroom as a teen almost identical to Smalcom's and used it but preffered to jump up and grab an outside bar. It seemed easier even though i knew nothing about how to get that kip rhythm.
    I have a basic work-out machine in my house, but its mainly a bicep/tricep workout machine, it can also work legs, but not well enough for running.
    Air squats, if you cant handle leaving the house during inclement weather.

Wrestlin, humpin, shoeing horses i've earned legs like oak and do air squats when business is slow in the dead of winter, i would hate to see atrophy in something i have worked so hard for. Lucky me the knees are still sound. A 1/2 hour session__watching TV if you must__is an ass kicker for most, harder than a treadmill, gonowhere bike or jogging.

--->Dave

I just got a doorway pullup bar off the internet for 30$,its amazing.

i do NOT enter my room until i've done 10,i was stuck outside my room for 15 minutes the other night because i was exhausted after work but i wouldn't enter my room until i got 10

working my way to 20 of course.

Thread Information