Speech
Create Post

Thread: Speech

Speech

Hey, I need to write a speech for class. . A persuasive speech.
    I chose to persuade my audience to be more supportive of our Military.

I'm looking for particular incidents, events, stories when you felt disrespected, or looked down upon because you are a part of the Military.

&

It'd also be helpful if you guys could even just provide some insight on what you would like the general public to know about those who serve in the Military.
    --- EX. Dispel common misconceptions, stereotypes, etc ---

Or anything really would help!

Thanks for your help!
    Sarah ^_^

Credits
    Savings
    Why do you seek negatives ?

I agree, don't seek the negatives, we hear and read enough of that. Seek out the positive. Also, we are not military, we are Marines.

When i got out of the Corps my first job was two man graveyard security at a striking Freightliner plant. My partner Ted Olds, was a retired mill worker augmenting his income by staying awake with the owls. Ted was with the 1st MarDiv on Guadalcanal. He said that while stationed in SoCal during the war, he could stick his thumb out and get a ride directly, but when the war ended all he recieved was the middle digit for a response.

There were four former Marines in that civilian guardshack when he told his story. One of our supervisors who claimed to be with the 5th MarDiv at Iwo Jima, acknowledged his story as fact. Another supervisor and Vietnam Vet just lit a cigarette, nodded and looked off into the dark.

I'ts been a long time since i've seen trend sucking suburbanites wearing designer 'Old Navy' sweats with the American flag logo. Even the yellow ribbons on the expeditions and explorers have fallen off considerably. It's now reduced to *****ing about inconvenient fuel prices and the casual 'when will this F'ed up mess in the middle east end, are we still at war???'

I dont think you can instill__persuade__lasting patriotism__military support__into the public without a certain level of continous hardship and current worthy examples (if you can release that on your audience it might work longer than a feel good speach) and once thats passed, patriotism generally fades and is replaced with skepticism and aggravation and waning tolerance.

Persuasion towards military endeavors is quickly percieved by many Americans as an intrusive flag in the face, even if 'righteous' causes and results are present and have not been played out. Shortly after 911 liberal peacenicks could be observed gearing up for anti-war protests long before the Afghan war. Why? because even a hippy knows if you kick a hornets nest your gonna get stung.

Jingoism, well either you got it or you don't and the more you got or the more you appreciate what you have in this country, the more it makes sense to fight for it.

If this isn't what your looking for, well you could have chosen an easier less complicated topic, to sell.

--->Dave

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    You got to be careful with concentrating on the negative. You don't want to slide into a "feel sorry for us" line of logic. That's something no Veteran abides by.

Veterans are community leaders. From the White House to local PTA and Scout Troops. Its part of who we are. We don't stand around when something needs to be done.

Sarah, while I agree with what you are doing, perhaps you could work up something along the lines of this:

"Instead of focusing on the negative, as so many in the media and society seem to do these days, I, instead, choose to look at the postive aspects of the military culture in today's society......"

Then talk about all the GOOD things our Marines (and other services) are doing, not only in Iraq, but at home as well. The recent fires in California, Katrina, (Coast Guardsmen and National Guard), just to name two. Then talk about esprit-de-corps, cameraderie, and selflessness. End it with the citation (read or put the entire thing into your work, with proper credit) of Corporal Jason Dunham, or one of the other current Medal of Honor winners.

Bring the thing to a close with your beginning lines, "Instead of focusing on the negative, or the cult of victimhood that seems to surround today's military, I choose instead to focus on the positive aspects of military service, and I would hope that in the future....you would as well".

Just a thought.

I really appreciate your help!

I was mainly going towards the whole direction of clearing up misconceptions & all that..like stating a claim & it's counterarguments & all that..but this also showed me another direction I could go.

& well, if anyone else has something to add, I'm still open for suggestions!

Thread Information