Survival School
Create Post

Thread: Survival School

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Survival School

I was watching Marine Corps Survival school on tv where they had to survive on a mountain and learn how to start fires learn how to catch animals and all that.I was wondering if that is a certain mos? why would you have to go through this school what job is it for?

What you're describing sounds like Cold Weather/Mountain Warfare training at Bridgeport, CA. Many different MOS's are eligible to attend that school. Some have even attended as a unit.
    Some have gone because they're about to do a cold weather exercise like Battle Griffin in Norway. Others have taken it simply so they can bring the knowledge back to their home units and pass on the skills to their fellow Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    Yea they said they were in Nevada and it is in the winter so they are just doing this because there going to war in the mountains or something?

wannabe,

As stated the Marine Corps offers a 2 week survival and evasion course in Bridgeport, CA which is near Nevada. I know when we did Cold Weather training there we were allowed liberty in Nevada.

If you do a google search on it you will find some pretty interesting intel.

I don't miss skiing down a slope, falling and having a 30 lb radio smack me in the back of the head....

Yep, Good old Pickle Meadows. Lots of snow and cold as hell.

what you saw is probably SERE training and no it is not an MOS it is an additional training that marines can go through if they are in a job where there is an inherint risk of getting captured or stranded. there are several locations for this training and all branches of service have it. special forces, flight crew... etc are the most likely to go through this training.

The USAF actually has an MOS for this specific job, training people.

That having been said, it's NOT a 'fun' school I assure you. Certain MOS's in the Marine Corps are required to attend this, and there are certain levels of the training itself. Many of the facets of this training are classified for various reasons.

The folks who go to SERE school are typically Aircrew, Recon, Intell, and some other MOS's that have a high 'capture' potential.

Credits
    Savings
    It was on the millitary channel its always on ive seen it 3 times already.They have to learn how to start fires learn how to set traps for animals and all that.

Thread Information