Corpsman-->Marine? Vice Versa anyone?
Create Post

Corpsman-->Marine? Vice Versa anyone?

Just out of curiousity if any Navy Corpsman went from Marine to Navy Corpsman or vice versa Marine goes to Corpsman. I was thinking after I do my enlistment for the Marines, I'll go Corpsman. I wan to blow **** up, and do some medical duties, get me prepared for the fire academy/ paramedic ****...

Google a man by the name of Maj. Bruce Norton.

He wrote some books
    "Force Recon Diary, 1969"
    "Force Recon Diary, 1970"

He went from Corpsman to Marine Force Recon.
    Hope that helps.

It happens, I don't know how often, but it happens. I know of 2 Marines who've taken that path. One was a Corpsman, got out and then became a Marine and is now a 1stSgt. The other was a Marine who got out and came back as our Battalion Med. Officer.

Just a thought, if your a Marine first you may not want to join the Navy. I spent plenty of time around squids and would have enjoyed a few of their jobs but didn't want to go Navy to get it. I also observed a former Vietnam Marine grunt who was a boatswain's mate (Navy grunt) that spent much of his free time in the Marines berthing area and head, smoking and joking.

If you are a Corpsmen attached to the FMF, you live and go to the field with Marines but you have different jobs and perks and often dont participate in the menial tasks and little games that grunts do. Surrendering certain privileges may not be appealing when considering changing uniforms. Navy UDT/Corpsman or Army special forces Medic/demolition might be an expedient way to kill two birds with one stone.

Oh, and many Corpsman that remain in the medical field as civilians do so as nurses.

Bruce Norton is all that needs to be said. The only non-Marine I know of to ever lead a Force Recon team. Got out after Vietnam, went to college, came back in as a Marine.

But, honestly I don't see why you would plan on changing branches. If you really want to be a Corpsman, be a Corpsman. If you're just looking for ways to be a civilian firefighter, there are better ways to go about it.

Thanks for the replies...

And it's not that I'm looking to change branches, I just want to shoot the ****/ blow **** up, and aid fallen comrades...

You can aid people just fine without being a Corpsman. But, if you really feel the need to do both looking at Navy Special Warfare or Army Special Forces may be the better option. Just about every other medic out there is very limited in what they're able to do.

Corpsman

In Sept. 84, my guide in bootcamp was prior navy service,,,and he had to go through USMC bootcamp from beginning to end. He was a Corpsman in his previous life and definitely reborn hard! So, there are easier ways to be a paramedic or EMT.

I have been thinking alot, and I decided I'd much rather shoot the **** ,... Happy B-day Marine Corps

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    You can aid people just fine without being a Corpsman. But, if you really feel the need to do both looking at Navy Special Warfare or Army Special Forces may be the better option. Just about every other medic out there is very limited in what they're able to do.

Why not be a SARC? He'll end up going to the same schools as them anyway, plus they are needed BADLY right now. Manning for NEC 8427's is at 47%!!!

You could even jump through a bunch of hoops and go right to Hospital Corpsman school at the end of your enlistment. I know of 1 marine from 3rd recon battalion that did it,--he came right back to them after some advanced training and is probably an 8427 by now.

Thread Information