Favorite Blade
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Blade

Credits
    Savings

Favorite Blade

I'm helping a buddy with his knife business. We are haveing a hard time deciding what brands to carry. He currenlty caries MTechUSA, and Elk Ridge.
    Both are good and inexpensive, retail from $7.50-$15.50. My favorite folder is my Emerson CQC7B, and favorite fixed blade was custom made by a man in Fayettville, NC.

What is youre favorite blade, most dependable?

jarhead97,

I carry the Kabar "Mule" for special days.

My regular pocket knife of choice is a Gerber "Fatty". It is a 2.2inch blade which is extra wide and very useful for daily activities. I believe they are discontinued, though and bought it for under $25.00

As a tip for horseshoeing services i recieved two stainless Helle blanks. I usually forge knife blades from worn out mill files and shoeing rasps but used the stock removal method with these. For one fixed blade handle i used plastic/acrylic filler similar but better than Bondo. Shaped then buffed with brown rouge it resembles wood and since there are no pins or rivets folks wonder how its attached

The other handle is made from urethane self leveling seem sealer used in the auto body industry and for cobbling together broken hooves. With both of these materials i can custom shape a handle in minutes with bench grinder attachments and a belt sander, if i go to far i can add material! The Helle steel is superior knife quality. Its quite hard but will bend a bit before it snaps, will sharpen to a razors edge and hold most of it. And is fairly easy to sharpen.

I had a Case and Kershaw i was fond of and the Old Timers are a good standard for a disposable knife
    --->Dave

Favorite blades

full size KAbar on the outside of my hunting pack in quick reach.
    Mini USMC kabar and mini leatherman for wearing in uniform (USDA Forest Service )
    Old timer two blade folding in teh bottom of my hunting pack
    custom stainless blade with cool wife made fringed sheath on my belt.
    Kershaw three blades interchangeable in camp for back up.
    Solingen steel straight razor in the bathroom.

When I am packing mules I always use a straight knife that requries only one hand to operate after being tied up in a tangled string of mules.

After I got my mini leatherman it has becomemy everyday blade. even thoughit is only about 2 inches long.

I am dedicated to my Lansky sharpening system.

I love knives and have too many to list but those are my mainstays.

I once went on a knife collecting kick and acquired a couple dozen assorted hunting and survival knives.

However, my all time favorite is an M5 bayonet from an M1 rifle. I keep one in my toolbox in my shop and that sucker is indestructable. I've even cut tin by pounding on the back side of the blade with a hammer. Nothing has ever even dulled it, let alone marred or dented it.

crate

i'm a big fan of gerbers

Mine is a 3" drop point folding lockback. Custom made by W.C. Davis, a member of the Custom Knifemakers Guild. The blade is made from 440 C stainless and the slabs are Cocobolo in slant bolsters. Bill made it for me in '76. It's still at the top of my favorites.

Credits
    Savings
    Old Timer was a good knife, unfortunatly they and Camilus( another very good one) have shut there doors.

Credits
    Savings
    I believe Schrade has a line with the Old Timer name on it now

I would look into the Gerber. They have a nice / wide selection of folders. I used to carry the boot knife. Better known as the "Back Up." I still got it to this day. Kershaw is another company I would look into, good luck.

My favorit knife is one my oldst son made me. It is a 8inch skinning knife. It sells for around $800.00. Thats right $800.00 This is what he is doing for a liveing. Last year Blade magaizrn made him one of the 10 new custom knife makers in North America. I all so have 2 Draper Custom made jungel fighting knifes. They were made here in Ephraim, Utah in 1965. One went with me on 2 tours in Vietnam. They are worth $1750.00 each.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cold Steel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MY JIMMY LILE,D-2 STEEL KNIFE 9";I PURCHASED FROM HIM IN 1985 AT THE SOILDER OF FORTUNE CONVENTION.LATER ONE WAS USED IN THE FIRST BLOOD MOVIE.BUT MY FAVV.IS THE NO.2 BO RANDALL FIGHTING KNIFE MY PAPA GAVE ME AFTER HIS LAST TOUR IN 'NAM 1964.MY FAVORITE FOLDER CUSTOM MADE DAMASCUS FOLDER W/TITANIUM HANDLE MADE BY CHRIS REEVES.SGT.YOUNG'S SON MAKES SOME VERY FINE QUALITY KNIVES!S/F HAPPY 232 YR'S MARINES!!!OOHRAH

Credits
    Savings
    We are looking at Kershaw. They have a nice assisted opening. There have been numerouse people at the shows looking for any assisted openers.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

We will be at the show in Greenville NC this weekend.( gun and knife)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Always carried a Gerber for work,,,, Easy to sharpen, [softer metal than a buck]. all around good for me. { Camping and fishing, I carry my Kabar]. Got it for Christmas years ago, and to my wifes suprise, I sliced the Christmas ham with it,,;>

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    and to my wifes suprise, I sliced the Christmas ham with it,,;>
    hehehehe the Kave-Bar

Thread Information