Marine Corps OCS Questions
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marine Corps OCS Questions

Hi! I'm new here, and I've got a couple questions.

I plan on going to Officer Candidate School after I earn my BSc. I've got three questions:

1. Will they accept a foreign bachelor's degree --I plan on going to the University of Sussex--?
    2. I have *very* mild asthma --I've hiked up a 2500' mountain, and got third place in a 5 mile sculling race--. Am I eligible for a waiver?
    3. How does OCS differ, if it all, from boot camp? Why is OCS 10 weeks long, while boot camp's 12-14 weeks long; shouldn't OCS be longer?

I plan on either becoming either a, after graduating OCS and TBS, 0302 or 0203. And, if I really excel while in the Fleet, get a 300 on the PFT, and qualify double Expert, a Force Reconnaissance or Fleet Antiterrorism Security Team Marine --wishful thinking, I know--. Maybe even serve as an exchane officer with Great Britain's Royal Marine Commandos. I've got a buddy who also wants to be an Officer of Marines --he wants to be 1302, though; he's interested in Force and Radio Recon; are 1302s eligible to take the Indocs?--.

We've both got 5-6 years to train up our bodies. What do you suggest; I'll be getting a weight machine for Christmas. I already mountain bike every other day for aerobics, but I really need to strength-train to increase my muscle tone and mass, as well as lose my blubber on my abdomen.

Thank you Marines, me and your country! I aspire to someday join your ranks. Wish me luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Double Expert ????? I gotta go pour me another cup of 'tea'.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    Double Expert ????? I gotta go pour me another cup of 'tea'.
    Are you saying qualifying Double Expert's impossible, or not neccessary?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Double Expert ?????

Rifle & Pistol Sparkie?

Protoman2050,What is very mild asthma?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper
    Rifle & Pistol Sparkie?

Protoman2050,What is very mild asthma?
    I've never had an attack that sent me to the ER, and all of my attacks don't actually require my bronchodialator; I've done a hike up a 2500' mountain, as well as a sculling race, all w/o needing my bronchodialator. I have another steroidal inhaler, Flovent, which is meant to keep an attack from starting. Even that I don't actually need; haven't taken either of them for months.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just thinkin what counts, rifle. I am bad, confused, and old. Don't listen to me...;> The 300 PFT got me goin too,,,,,, I'll just hang around and watch,,,,,, Pass the suds.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    You got at least 6 years for your lungs to fully mature. Keep your body in peak condition and start taking on Leadership Roles in your school and community.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    A doctor diagnosed you with asthma...regardless of how mild it is. If by the time you finish college and go to OCS or boot camp you will need to get and keep a record of when you were first given the inhaler and for what reason. Hopefully you don't have a serious attack. It needs to be reported when you see a recruiter or officer selection officer this needs to be disclosed. It can come back and bite you in the azz.

As far as college requirements and officer MOS go go I would look up a search for USMC and contact the OSO and ask...unless one of this boards officers can answer this question.

I think I got my inhaler when I was six...I remember Dr. F diagnosed my persistent dry cough as asthma. A dry cough or mild wheeze is how it manifests itself...to freak people out, I talk while I'm wheezing...*very* creepy...as well as irritating

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    3. How does OCS differ, if it all, from boot camp? Why is OCS 10 weeks long, while boot camp's 12-14 weeks long; shouldn't OCS be longer?

OCS is a 10-week long leader selection course. While you will be trained in many things, OCS is primarily there to cull the field, as it were. The primary thing they evaluate at OCS is your leadership abilities, physical fitness, initiative, and "trainability." Assuming you pass OCS and are commissioned, you are not a qualified officer of Marines yet. You won't shoot a rifle or pistol in OCS. Maybe with blanks, but not live ammo.

You go to The Basic School to become a basically qualified Marine officer after OCS. That is a six-month long school. This is where you will learn to shoot all sorts of weapons and qualify for the first time on rifle and possibly the pistol. You will learn to be an infantry platoon leader here. Every Marine a rifleman, even officers. After TBS you go to your MOS school, then your first unit.

Boot camp trains enlisted Marines and graduates them as qualified basic Marines. Leadership skills, while evaluated, is not as important at the lower enlisted end of the rank scale as it is to even a 2d Lt. A Private or PFC pretty much does as he/she is told. A 2d Lt will be doing the telling (usually under the watchful eye of his platoon sergeant and senior officers).

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing
    You got at least 6 years for your lungs to fully mature. Keep your body in peak condition and start taking on Leadership Roles in your school and community.
    I'm homeschooled --Keystone Academy is a private Christian school which has no building...very odd setup I've got going--, but I've passed CA's CHSPE exam, which grants me an equivalent of a HS diploma w/i CA, so I'll start community college in 01/08.

I plan on earning my AA in biology w/ honors and get a high score on the SATs. I then plan on going overseas to England to earn my BSc in molecular medicine from the University of Sussex. Then --hopefully-- on to USMC OCS and serve the latter portion of my eight year active duty commitment as a (Force) Recon platoon commander --need to make Captain and pass that grueling 48hr Indoc first!--. Maybe serve a tour as an exchange officer with GB's Royal Marine Commandos as well.

Then, only God knows...maybe stay in and become a Major, become a CIA Paramilitary Operations Officer, or leave the Corps and the USG entirely and become a medical researcher.

Four additional questions: Wikipedia says Force Recon is the Corps' equivalent of Army Special Forces, Navy SEALs, and Air Force Special Tactics, while my buddy Sgt. Tom Gerl, USA(Ret.), an Army Ranger, says Force Recon's "nothing". Who's correct?

And do the US Marines make grog according to the Royal Navy's and Royal Marines' recipe --gold rum diluted 2:1, w/ lime juice and sugar to taste--, or a different one?

And why do Marines no longer serve as part of a Naval warship's crew complement? That's their original mission.

And I serve as an Awana leader for around 5 5th graders? Does that count as a leadership position within my community?

Force Recon is nothing- because it is MarSOC now, and a part of US Special Operations Command. However, your buddy was just running his mouth. Something Army people are very good at. Rest assured that a Force Recon Marine was among the best in the world.

Never heard of a Marine making grog period.

We don't serve as a part of a warship's crew because the mission of the Marine Corps has changed. There isn't much use for a sharpshooter in a crows nest in today's world.

Awana could be counted, but you can do better than that. Get involved with something with a bigger group of people.

Now I have a question for you. If you know what you want to do, why would you go overseas for your education? That will just make it more difficult to reach your goals. You have a goal, so you need to do what you need to do in order to achieve it. (Mission accomplishment is the first responsibility of a leader of Marines.) Why don't you enroll in a school in the US, just to eliminate one obstacle in your path?

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    Force Recon is nothing- because it is MarSOC now, and a part of US Special Operations Command. However, your buddy was just running his mouth. Something Army people are very good at. Rest assured that a Force Recon Marine was among the best in the world.

Never heard of a Marine making grog period.

We don't serve as a part of a warship's crew because the mission of the Marine Corps has changed. There isn't much use for a sharpshooter in a crows nest in today's world.

Awana could be counted, but you can do better than that. Get involved with something with a bigger group of people.

Now I have a question for you. If you know what you want to do, why would you go overseas for your education? That will just make it more difficult to reach your goals. You have a goal, so you need to do what you need to do in order to achieve it. (Mission accomplishment is the first responsibility of a leader of Marines.) Why don't you enroll in a school in the US, just to eliminate one obstacle in your path?
    Because Sussex has the precise degree program I want. And I'd like to experience education and culture in a different country.

I've heard that you guys'll drink grog sometimes when you're off-duty and at a bar.

I'm also involved in my school's Senior Beta Club. Still trying to get elected Treasurer. Although my club's meetings are becoming more and more like Congress; in the space of three hours, we usually get one or two things done on a good day.

On 01/08, I will enroll in Cerritos College and begin accomplishing my mission.

Isn't MarSOC trying to implement 14 man Marine Special Operations Teams commanded by a Captain? Aren't those like a slightly bigger version of an Army Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha?

Wow; I'm not sure if this is a joke, but I'll give it an honest shot.

1. Contact an OSO.
    2. Phantom Blooper answered that one for you. I do not have experience with waivers, but I understand medical waivers can be difficult to come by. Good luck.
    3. Zulu 26 got that one for you. OCS is only the job interview.

You have the same aspirations as most other young 'wannabe's.' That's good, but don't get your heart set on being the high-speed Force Recon officer that you picture in your mind's eye. OCS and TBS have a funny way of changing people's minds about the infantry, or other 'field-intensive' MOS's. A lot of young officers will tell you that everyone wants to be infantry unitl FEXI (field exersize one). If you are motivated enough to make it to TBS, you will see what I mean by that. Besides, an 0203 is much different than what you imagine it to be.

Instead of focusing on being 007 in MARPAT, keep an open mind and clarify your goals. Will you be satisfied being a Finance Officer, or Supply Officer? If not, then I recommend that you not pursue a commission. Remember, the Marine Corps is not about fullfilling your dreams and fantasies; your MOS is based on the needs of the Marine Corps. Good luck.

P.S. A BS in Molecular Medicine is an impressive degree; but again, this is an area of your life that needs to reflect your goals. What do you intend to do with that degree? There are not many (if any) MOS's in the Marine Corps where you will use that degree on a regular basis. Maybe you want to consider political science, or something along those lines. Just something to consider in your decision making process. Again, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ammermda
    Wow; I'm not sure if this is a joke, but I'll give it an honest shot.

1. Contact an OSO.
    2. Phantom Blooper answered that one for you. I do not have experience with waivers, but I understand medical waivers can be difficult to come by. Good luck.
    3. Zulu 26 got that one for you. OCS is only the job interview.

You have the same aspirations as most other young 'wannabe's.' That's good, but don't get your heart set on being the high-speed Force Recon officer that you picture in your mind's eye. OCS and TBS have a funny way of changing people's minds about the infantry, or other 'field-intensive' MOS's. A lot of young officers will tell you that everyone wants to be infantry unitl FEXI (field exersize one). If you are motivated enough to make it to TBS, you will see what I mean by that. Besides, an 0203 is much different than what you imagine it to be.

Instead of focusing on being 007 in MARPAT, keep an open mind and clarify your goals. Will you be satisfied being a Finance Officer, or Supply Officer? If not, then I recommend that you not pursue a commission. Remember, the Marine Corps is not about fullfilling your dreams and fantasies; your MOS is based on the needs of the Marine Corps. Good luck.

P.S. A BS in Molecular Medicine is an impressive degree; but again, this is an area of your life that needs to reflect your goals. What do you intend to do with that degree? There are not many (if any) MOS's in the Marine Corps where you will use that degree on a regular basis. Maybe you want to consider political science, or something along those lines. Just something to consider in your decision making process. Again, good luck.
    I'll be satisfied w/ having the title of "United States Marine"; being a Financial Management Officer is also something I've considered. I'm good w/ finance and accounting.

My MOS choices are

1. Infantry
    2. Ground Intel --explain to me more what that is--
    3. Field Artillery
    4. Signals Intelligence
    5. HUMINT/CI

What was Field Training Exercise I like? What's your MOS?

Thread Information