What is a Scribe?
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

What is a Scribe?

I saw this term in another thread, and if I am not mistaken, it is something different than being a guide or squad leader? What do scribes do?

They write things for the D.I.s.

They are the secretaries for the Drill Instructors. It is a tough job but it can guarantee a meritorious promotion if you do the job well. Our head scribe was very well liked by one of our Drill Instructors. Because he was well-liked, he also did the drill instructor's personal paperwork. He stayed many a night up on firewatch performing the extra tsks for the drill instructors.

If you want to be a scribe, you should be very smart with a lot of common sense. It's a tough job if your drill instructors make it one.

If you wonder what they do its bascially making schedule cards, filling out reports, giving medical chits to recruits, making count cards, recording the weights of recruits, making firewatch rosters, taking down PFT scores, collecting recruit surveys, and things of that nature.

You'll have a desk up near the duty hut where all your writing gear and paper will be stored.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    That sounds right up my alley. I'd very much like to be a scribe. I suppose I would have to go to college or something to ensure that I get it though. Of course that is definetly not worth it... Finish a semester of college so you could be a scribe in boot camp. Hopefully a high ASVAB score will help me get the position.

I saw more than one secretary get fired. Through the duty hut window watched his upper body appear and disappear (bends and thrusts) on a few occasions. He once came out of the head disheveled and wind sucking with a wild look in his eye like he'd just been in a fight and was scared. Followed casually by a Jr. D.I. who was also breathing hard while squaring away his blouse and cartridge belt. Before being witness to those episodes we all thought that job was a skate but im not so sure.

--->Dave

Squad Leader Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Books
    That sounds right up my alley. I'd very much like to be a scribe. I suppose I would have to go to college or something to ensure that I get it though. Of course that is definetly not worth it... Finish a semester of college so you could be a scribe in boot camp. Hopefully a high ASVAB score will help me get the position.
    College might get you the job, it might not. As I've written in other posts, my platoon's first scribe was a college grad, but was fired for being "an educated idiot." I was picked next as a simple HS grad.

I worked my a$$ off as the scribe. Got IT'd and thumped a lot too when the DIs were bored. I often got to join in the fun with other recruits being disciplined in the hut when the DI thought I was enjoying their discomfort too much. I never did, but when did a DI ever care what a recruit really thought?

The only bright spot was my assistant didn't want anything to do with going in the duty hut, so he did most of my personal work (shine brass, boots, clean rifle, etc) so I could do all the scribe work. Luckily for both of us, we managed to be good at our jobs for one another. I did manage meritorious PFC out of the deal.

Education and ASVAB scores are no guarantee of anything in the Corps. You are the only one who can truly control your success as a Marine.

Thread Information