Marine likes duty at Army post

Darrell Todd Maurina
Waynesville Daily Guide

Lance Cpl. Christopher McNeill grew up in New York and watched the Twin Towers fall during the 9/11 terrorist attack.

Honored recently as Joint Service Member of the Quarter by the Committee of 50, McNeill said he joined the Marines “because they are the best.” A tall athlete who loves basketball, McNeill said he also loves to push himself to his maximum potential and enjoyed that service’s focus on training harder and working harder.

“No matter what our MOSes are, no matter what our jobs are, we are all trained as infantrymen to defend the American way of life,” McNeil said. “I was actually at home and was watching the news ... I saw the towers collapse and I knew there was nothing I could do if I was sitting at home, so I called the recruiter up and said I wanted to serve my country.”

For now, serving his country means working as an administrative clerk at Fort Leonard Wood helping Marines in the local Marine Corps detachment complete their paperwork to retire or complete their term of service.

That duty has helped him learn more about the stories of more senior Marines.

“It helps me learn better opportunities I don’t know of or options of where I could go in military life or civilian life,” McNeil said. “It opened my eyes, and I pray to God every night and thank Him for the opportunities I have.”

Coming to an Army post in Missouri as a New York resident following Marine boot camp training was “different,” McNeil said, but he’s learning to appreciate rural life.

“It’s not as fast-paced as being in the city, but it’s someplace you can settle down and concentrate on the community, school, work, things like that,” McNeil said.

Currently studying for a bachelors’ degree in business administration, McNeil said he is considering becoming a Marine Corps officer and long-term, would like to start a business.

“I see myself as a leader and that’s one of my goals, definitely, to be a leader whether I am in military or civilian life,” McNeil said.

Ellie