MCRD San Diego 11/1980-2/1981
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MCRD San Diego 11/1980-2/1981

Hello,
    I am wondering how I would post this message;
    My name is Anthony Gayton {Sr}, I was in the Marine Corp back in 1980-1982, and I am trying to find out what the cost would be to get a picture of the Platoon? I was in , which is another problem I'm having.
    On 93/6/6, I was involved in an accident, I was hit by a 18 Wheeler Gravel Truck, that gave me Permanent Brain damage, which has affected my memory (I was in Dallas Rehab for 2.5 months which is very short considering my injury, but the Doctor's and Therapist , say my Marine Corps training is why I recovered so fast - OOHRAAH!!) it should have affected my short term memory only, but for some reason, some of my long term has also been affected and I can not recall the platoon I was in?, I do remember the Senior Drill instructor was Gunny {?} Sgt. D Campbell and I am sure that Sgt. M, A, Tipton and Sgt. Romero, where the Drill Instructors. Then we lost Sgt. Romero and he was replaced by a SSgt. White. In 1994 the Mobil home my stuff was being stored in was gutted by fire, and all my stuff was burned with it. I have only 1 uniform and a copy of the picture of me in my Marines Dress Blue Uniform, all the other stuff = my graduation book and uniforms was lost. I had thought I was in the 1118 Platoon at MCRD San Diego, but when I saw the picture of that Platoon on-line, I didn't see me or anyone I remembered. I dropped out of school and joined the Marines, to help get the 52 American Hostages out of Iran . That some Terrorist had kidnapped, and was holding hostage, then Ronald Reagan won the Presidency, and the Hostages where released. I did mess up and get a GOS Discharge in 1982? I did and still do regret doing that.
    Now, I am on SS Disability due to the accident, and the brain Damage, so my income is restricted. Please help me, and send me the necessary info to get the Graduation book or maybe the Platoon picture. I have been told it will be doubtful to get the book, but I may be able to get the platoon picture? Maybe even the Graduation book, I entered the Marines 80/11/19 and graduated in 2/81. I have tried to contact MCRD Museum Historical Society, but have gotten no where’s, due to them not being able to understand me. My speaking is not very clear now, due to my injury.
    Any help will be Very Much appreciated.
    Semper Fi
    Anthony Gayton
    This is the reason I was unable to post my bootcamp platoon, and I would like to post it, so that maybe I can reconnect with some of the men from that Platoon .

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I recently ordered mineat a cost of 35 bucks plus shipping. ordered from the Marine Corps historical society in San Diego. You must know your platoon number and date of graduation. I don't know about PI though.

Anthony, I was in platoon 1126 T-day started 12-19-1980. My Senior Drill instructor was SSgt Tipton, and there were 3 other drill instructors ones name was Sgt Block, the other was Sgt White, and the third was only with us for maybe 10 days into training, I don't remember his name, but I remember that he was the only one that was nice to us ,because he was a short timer. I've lost all my stuff too, along with my platoon book, there were only 39 of us that graduated, and I don't know if you heard, our platoon guide Cpl Eric Walker,was killed when the building came down in Beirut Oct 83, I think of all the time thats past since he's gone. Anyhow if you do remember, and you are from platoon 1126 MCRD SanDiego then you would remember me I'm Munchkin the duty hut private that the DI's used to make me sing "Somewhere over the rainbow" then run flapping my arm saying "The sky is falling,The sky is falling". I hope this bit of information helps, Thanks,Tony Forti

1126 oh my god its you i remember you my name is robert thompson platoon 1126 tipton blocker holt

i didnt know walker was killed i was trying to locate him also.thanks for the info

Marines, You may not get this but hope you see it at some point. My brother Mark Tipton recently passed away. We were Drill Instructors at MCRD together. I was in First Battalion and he was in Second. I was the Senior for 1126 and Sgts Blocker and Holt worked for me. That was a fun platoon, at least for me. Munchkin you may not have enjoyed it much. Hope you all had fruitful lives. jtipton@colt.com

Munchkin here

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tipton View Post
    Marines, You may not get this but hope you see it at some point. My brother Mark Tipton recently passed away. We were Drill Instructors at MCRD together. I was in First Battalion and he was in Second. I was the Senior for 1126 and Sgts Blocker and Holt worked for me. That was a fun platoon, at least for me. Munchkin you may not have enjoyed it much. Hope you all had fruitful lives. jtipton@colt.com
    Somewhere over the rainbow skys are blue, follow the yellow brick road, follow the yellow brick road, the sky is falling, the sky is falling

Now that was too funny. Good to hear from you Marine.

1980 platoon 1126

well i hope you remember me also my name is Robert Thompson i keep intouch forti.and now i see that youre doing ok. i was your layleader and duty hut private and make everybody laugh.

1980 platoon 1126

senior drill instructor tipton 1126 youre kidding me i remember you do you remember the plaque my mother had made for you?

hey my brother this is robert thompson i tried to call you today about the good news you got .thanks for the email

I was in Plt 1126 also ,Ssgt. Tipton had my sister write to him,then his wife wrote to her and told her to stop. Hope that didnt cause any trouble Ssgt. My youngest son is in Parris Island right now and my oldest is in the 82nd Airborne (almost a Marine).
    I remember Pvt Munchkin,Pvt Jaws,Pvt Grouper,Pvt Samonski, Pvt Nobles.and Pvt Walker our guide,sorry to here about him. Some of my friends were there from radio school also. I was in Okinawa at the time.Good Marines all.
    Over the years told many Pvt Munchkin stories to my sons.

Johnny Smith

Hey Johnny,
    how have you been, you know Ssgt Tipton became a warrant officer, and retired after 26 years of service, his rank was W05 which is the same as a 4 star general, you can't get any higher. Isn't it nice to know that you were trained to be a Marine by such a devoted individual? I know I feel proud to know him, and I haven't seen him in 31 years. It's good to know your doing fine, hope to talk to you soon. Lcpl Forti (Munchkin)

Outstanding ! Proud to be one of Tipton`s Raiders.
    Always thought of him when I would salute an officer, he had a way of dropping his hand after saluting that I copied.

I sang this song many times in boot camp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hgOfk2qtls my nickname is Munchkin, and I really thought the sky was falling!

Thread Information