Flag Folding ceremony banned as non-PC
Create Post

Flag Folding ceremony banned as non-PC

Anyone who wonders why we might vote for Democrats in the next election only has to read the following; this was done by a Republican administration. What will our senators and representatives do about it?

Flag-folding recitations by Memorial Honor Detail volunteers are now banned at the nation’s 125 veterans graveyards because of a complaint about the ceremony at Riverside National Cemetery.

During thousands of military burials, the volunteers have folded the American flag 13 times and recited the significance of every fold to survivors.

The first fold represents life, the second a belief in eternal life, and so on.

The complaint revolved around the narration in the 11th fold, which celebrates Jewish war veterans and “glorifies the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.”

The National Cemetery Administration then decided to ban the entire recital at all national cemeteries. Details of the complaint weren’t disclosed.

Administration spokesman Mike Nacincik said the new policy outlined in a Sept. 27 memorandum is aimed at creating uniform services throughout the military graveyard system.

He said the 13-fold recital is not part of the U.S. Flag Code and is not government-approved.

Veterans and honor detail volunteers, including Bobby Castillo, 85, and Rees Lloyd, 59, are furious.

“That the actions of one disgruntled, whining, narcissistic and intolerant individual is preventing veterans from getting the honors they deserve is truly an outrage,” Lloyd said. “This is another attempt by secularist fanatics to cleanse any reference to God.”

Castillo, a Navy veteran of World War II, said it’s “a slap in the face to every veteran.”

“When we got back from the war, we didn’t ask for a whole lot,” Castillo said. “We just want to give our veterans the respect they deserve. No one has ever complained to us about it. I just don’t understand.”

i posted this exact same thing yesterday in the politics forum. it is complete garbage

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    SO... the $64 question is,
    What if a family REQUESTS the recital ??

Can they 'sue' for being denied their RELIGIOUS beliefs ??

The problem is that this "recital" has no grounds in our Flag's history and tradition. It was an urban legend chain email that was meant to perpetuate itself throughout the internet.
    Like it or not, our Flag has no religion.

That being said: Anybody that tries to squelch a family member or guest from saying ANYTHING at their loved one's funeral is a dirtbag and immediately declared an enemy of mine. However, as Veterans, let's not insist that this has any part of our military traditions.

Credits
    Savings
    Youre right the flag has no religion, it represents not one but the freedom of all religions. That was the premis for coming to America. That being said, the countyr was founded on christain beliefs and principals. In keeping with those, rituals like reciting the 13 folds are in keeping, and should stand unless a family asks it not be done

The flag and the folding ceremony is not being banned. In fact, I've never been to a flag folding ceremony at a funeral where it was recited. And the other thing is untilr ecently I've never heard of this recital. Thjough I have to wonder where this whole 11th "jewish" insert comes from. I can honestly say that in my entire enlistment I only ever met one jew in the armed forces and he was in my platoon in boot camp. Sounds like a bit of over representation to me.

THE EARL PATCH, WEST TEXAS, Home of the 1st LADY Larua BUSH, Midland, TEXAS
    Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up VA Clarifies Policy on Flag-Folding Recitations

VA Clarifies Policy on Flag-Folding Recitations
    Department of Veterans Affairs | October 31, 2007
    WASHINGTON -- To ensure burial services at the 125 national cemeteries operated by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) reflect the wishes of veterans and their families, VA officials have clarified the Department’s policy about recitations made while the U.S. flag is folded at the gravesite of a veteran.

“Honoring the burial wishes of veterans is one of the highest commitments for the men and women of VA,” said William F. Tuerk, VA’s Under Secretary for Memorial Affairs. “A family may request the recitation of words to accompany the meaningful presentation of the American flag as we honor the dedication and sacrifice of their loved ones.”

Traditional gravesite military funeral honors include the silent folding and presentation of an American flag, a 21-gun rifle salute, and the playing of “Taps.”

The clarification includes the following:

Volunteer honor guards are authorized to read the so-called “13-fold” flag recitation or any comparable script;
    Survivors of the deceased need to provide material and request it be read by the volunteer honor guards; and
    Volunteer honor guards will accept requests for recitations that reflect any or no religious traditions, on an equal basis.

Veterans with a discharge other than dishonorable, their spouses and eligible dependent children can be buried in a national cemetery. Other burial benefits available for all eligible veterans, regardless of whether they are buried in a national cemetery or a private cemetery, include a burial flag, a Presidential Memorial Certificate and a government headstone or marker.

source: http://www.*************/features/0,...155225,00.html

orginial story: http://www.*************/NewsContent...155003,00.html

Thread Information