Any air wingers out there ? - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Air wing forever:: H&ms 37, El Toro, VMFA 334, Westpac, Vmgr 352 El Toro, MABS 36 Futenma also flew with HMM 164 and HML 367 at the same time. VMAT 203 and VMA 542 at cherry point. He** of a ride for 9 years.

Vmfa-251

Hey Gramps - Frenchy here from WC 220 was in 251 from 76-79. Just emailed you.

My brother in law in with the Purple foxes I think its HMM-262 he is a gunny there doing something fun.

Cantrell

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    MALS 24 ORDNANCE Here!!!

IYAOYAS and IYAOYCSOD....I made that last part up at Boss's night at the E-Club with awhole lot of groundpounders there. We got into a big wrestling (fight) match in front of the E-Club after that. MPs everywhere didn't know who to pop so they just hung back and watched till we got tired and our OICs sent us on our way.

Well devildogs it took me approx 2 weeks to figure out on what killerinstinct meant by IYAOYAS. Now I see another one pertaining to the AO's. Can you please give an old man a break and post what it means. It drives me crazy when I can't remember,LOL.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I could tell you but I might have to kill you!!! If You Ain't Ordnance You Ain't Sh*t!!

jgorosco; I figured out the IYAOYAS. It's IYAOYCSOD thats gonna drive me crazy.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ok this may cause another battle royal but f' it....If you Ain't Ordnace You Ain't Sh*t and If You Ain't Ordnance You Can Suck Our D**k

LMAO. After checking your profile. I see a ten year gap between when I got out and when you went in. Am glad to see that you are keeping up that good old AO mentality. Give me a break. I remember everytime you guys couldn't handle your work load the other shops had to come to your rescue. Encluding the Tool Room. This is with all do respect.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The only time we needed help was when we couldn't make it to our bunks after our all night drinking adventures. And to all the other Ordies....How about an Ordnance Kiss? I will start it

Quote Originally Posted by jgorosco
    The only time we needed help was when we couldn't make it to our bunks after our all night drinking adventures. And to all the other Ordies....How about an Ordnance Kiss? I will start it

HAHA there is a thread about this somewhere. Me and Kim were talkign about it and thankfully I wasnt the lowest on the totem pole in the shop.

A ordnance kiss ? Low man on the totem pole ? Am afraid to ask.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You might enjoy it gutinstinct!! You can be low man since you are asking

Registered User Free Member lovdog's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Winger vs Grunt!

The best thing about being in the Wing was the animosity it created between the the wingers & the grunts - and man I loved every minute of it!! Its been a long time but I do recall going thru jungle training at Pendleton for about a month before we were shipped overseas. Out of the company there were only a handful of wingers. I remember this Staff Sgt. (troop handler) that went ballistic when I showed up with unbloused trousers & steel toed low cut boots that we normally wore - they were Marine Corps legal then - and fairly comfortable too! When I pulled up my trousers & he saw the white socks, I thought the guy would have a stroke!! - he lost the argument in the end! The next day I put on boots - I just did it to jerk his chain!
    Since I was an "old man" of 19 and in the wing - they made me an instructor on many of the excercises that we had. They mentioned to me that since I was a winger that I probably wouldn't need much of this training anyway and they needed the "help" since they were short of training personnel at the time.
    Remember the "digging' out a claymore mine? And the mousetrap underneath? As many times as I showed most of them (grunts) how to do it - about 50% had the cap go off! I used to tell them - "well, you just blew both of us up" - now, do it again til you get it right! I won't have to do this cause I'm a winger - but you might! What a great job I had!!
    So then comes the 10 mile forced march - up & down the sand hills. I was in the 3rd squad, 3rd platoon. So this guy named Johnny Logan ( a grunt) - and I became pretty good friends - he was in front of me in the squad. The column was all stretched out for a long way come the third mile. So, I told Logan - "enough of this crap - c'mon Johnny - lets get going"! At each hill that we went up - sure enough - there sat a couple of grunts all tired out!
    I told them "whats the matter grunts, can't you hack it"?? Well, that just p_ssed them off royally and they'd start running to keep ahead of us. Every hill we started gaining ground. Make a long story short, by the end of the march the troop handler turned around and guess who was right behind him? Yep, me & Logan!!
    The troop handler went nuts when he found out we were from the 3rd platoon! He moved the whole 3rd platoon to the front for the rest of the exercises - that was great - no more running to keep up!!
    So, when we get to Danang - even though your a winger - you still have to pull "other duty" every 6 months or so- I chose guard duty - back with my old buddies - yep - the grunts! So, they make me corporal of the guard - thats okay, but the only problem at night - I had more of a fear of getting shot by my own guys than I did the "Dogpatch Bunch"!! What a group!!
    I used to tell them "if its a rocket - get inside the bunker, if someone is shooting at you - get behind the bunker!! I guess it worked, didn't lose anyone on my watch. As long as you turned "Chicken Man" on at 2:30 in the morning & opened up the channels - they seemed to apease them the rest of the night!! Man - ya gotta love the grunts!! They sure made life in the Corps interesting - and fun!!
    Lovdog, SF

Fellow Tbolters from VMFA-251 Westpac tour in 1977 - remember the Philippines....

Thread Information