Any air wingers out there ? - Page 19
Create Post
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
    1st MAW Forward, MWHG-1, MWCS-1 70/71
    2542 MOS/TS clearance
    Also did some time as a MWHG-1 MP on roving patrol and on react platoon. Did a few patrols in Dog Patch with react.

Having served in a combat comm center I was at the top of my game when I got back to the world. I knew more in my MOS than most of our senior NCO's at 2nd Tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidawg View Post
    One of my favorites was sending the newbies out for a ID10T form, do the "math" and it is an idiot form.
    I remember sending them out for the key to the hanger basement and a gallon of pneumatic fluid

Forgot to say, 2nd Comm Btn attached to 2nd tanks. During field maneuvers we would set up a field comm center. I didn't care for it, not in a working comm center where I should of been with my experience.

Anyone with 1st MAW Forward comm center 70/71?

I was in the 1st MAW Comm Center and was supposed to be assigned to FWD, but I got picked up as one of the 44,000 who got to go home a few weeks early in late March of 1970. Lt. Willojati (spelling?) was my watch officer and picked me to go with the advance group to Iwakuni, but as said, Nixon changed that plan.

Check out the signature - that's me in back of one of the Comm Center hootches (the old French stone barracks right behind the mess hall) and the other is of some people in Dog Patch.

As for the other remarks...

I was fortunate to have spent most of my time with the air wing in Danang, Beaufort, and Cherry Point. Being in communications, we would send the newbees to supply to get a spool of flight line for the air-tactical radios. You would think they would catch on immediately, but like the ID10T form, it usually wasn't questioned by the noobs.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by William Hardy View Post
    I was in the 1st MAW Comm Center and was supposed to be assigned to FWD, but I got picked up as one of the 44,000 who got to go home a few weeks early in late March of 1970. Lt. Willojati (spelling?) was my watch officer and picked me to go with the advance group to Iwakuni, but as said, Nixon changed that plan.

Check out the signature - that's me in back of one of the Comm Center hootches (the old French stone barracks right behind the mess hall) and the other is of some people in Dog Patch.

As for the other remarks...

I was fortunate to have spent most of my time with the air wing in Danang, Beaufort, and Cherry Point. Being in communications, we would send the newbees to supply to get a spool of flight line for the air-tactical radios. You would think they would catch on immediately, but like the ID10T form, it usually wasn't questioned by the noobs.
    Gunny,
    I was with MABS-32 70-72 in Beaufort.
    I played football for MAG-32 went undefeated for 2 yeras... Do you remember that?
    I rode my bike down to Beaufort a year ago last April.... talk about how much the air station has changed....

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH View Post
    Gunny,
    I was with MABS-32 70-72 in Beaufort.
    I played football for MAG-32 went undefeated for 2 yeras... Do you remember that?
    I rode my bike down to Beaufort a year ago last April.... talk about how much the air station has changed....
    I was at the Station Comm Center during 1970-71 and then I was the message center chief at MABS-32 in 71-72. I worked for Gunner Chase. It has been so long ago that I can hardly remember some of the guys I worked with, but there was a SGT Miller who was my comm clerk. Do you remember when MAG-32 was going down to Roosevelt Roads and 5 of the comm guys went to Savanna, got drunk, and were killed when they hit a tree coming back the night before departure? They put the car on a trailer and left it in front of the base theater for a long time. It was hard loosing that many friends all at once.

Beaufort was one of my favorite state-side duty stations.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    yes, I remember the wrecked car. I also knew the driver. For the life of me I cant remember his name. Blond headed kid....
    I was the Marine who ran the crane and unloaded all the new AV8-A Harriers for VMA-513 when they fist got to the air station.
    Our heavy junk lot was at the end of the road that the enlisted club was on.
    I was in D barracks (I think) right next to J barracks.
    All of the barracks are gone now, they have built new 4 story 2 man"condos". They are everywhere. They built a ton of them across the street from the enlisted club.
    The theater is still there as is base HQ. The supply building is also still there. Just about everything else has changed.
    When I get home tonight I will post all the photos I took when I went back the MCAS Beaufort.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Our CO was a mustanger Captain Balis who got reverted back to a Warrant Officer. We also had a a gunner there.. really a cool dude... EVERYBODY liked this guy... dark hair and of course I dont remember his last name.

You do look familiar. I was in the second hooch from the grinder (dirt). I was one of the lucky short timers that got to rotate home in '71. Did you get one of those plaques our CO gave out before we left? When I first got in country they stuck me in the back in supply shop until I got my secret clearance. Then moved me to that room where you entered from outside by punching in a code to open the door. Put me on the memo-graph until to got my TS. I remember a friend that went by the handle "Rap" last name Rapeljay. Then Deno, Dean Isbel, after I got out he came down here and I went back to Gladwin Michigan with him for awhile. Then their was Bill, who talked me to going to Oki for R&R. I wanted Australia but didn't want to go alone. I have a photo of him but need to scan it. I had a good time in Oki, beautiful Island, but to this day I regret not going to Australia.

One of these momasan's got pregnant by ummm, can't remember his name, damn.

I'm sure you remember this place! I can't remember his first name, last name Clark or maybe his first, that's what we called him. Only Marine I've ever known that could get goofy drunk on 3 beer.
    Now that was a comm center, can't believe the load we handled. More photos on my profile. I know more names but can't remember just now, brain isn't working too well lately.

Quote Originally Posted by jamielang1951 View Post
    You do look familiar. I was in the second hooch from the grinder (dirt). I was one of the lucky short timers that got to rotate home in '71. Did you get one of those plaques our CO gave out before we left? When I first got in country they stuck me in the back in supply shop until I got my secret clearance. Then moved me to that room where you entered from outside by punching in a code to open the door. Put me on the memo-graph until to got my TS. I remember a friend that went by the handle "Rap" last name Rapeljay. Then Deno, Dean Isbel, after I got out he came down here and I went back to Gladwin Michigan with him for awhile. Then their was Bill, who talked me to going to Oki for R&R. I wanted Australia but didn't want to go alone. I have a photo of him but need to scan it. I had a good time in Oki, beautiful Island, but to this day I regret not going to Australia.

One of these momasan's got pregnant by ummm, can't remember his name, damn.

I'm sure you remember this place! I can't remember his first name, last name Clark or maybe his first, that's what we called him. Only Marine I've ever known that could get goofy drunk on 3 beer.
    Now that was a comm center, can't believe the load we handled. More photos on my profile. I know more names but can't remember just now, brain isn't working too well lately.
    My good buddy Don Baker was the comm center clerk who worked in the office. He stayed a month or two longer and then followed me to Beaufort. Do happen to remember him? He hated working in the office and wanted to get out on floor with the guys. I can't remember all the guys names anymore. Wish I had written them down but I didn't. I have some pictures and I will try to post them after I find where I put them. You may remember their faces since they would have been there after I left. I did the off-line encryption in the vault while I was there. I also did most of the courier duty...the run up to Red Beach, FLC, 1MARDIV and back to the Army (V Corps or I Corps) by the bridge over the river, and back to 1st MAW. I was also the NCOIC of the Orphan program and spent a lot of time down at China Beach where the orphanages were located. Did they still have that going after I left? I haven't thought too much about the comm center in a long time. Glad you got me thinking about it again...lots of good guys in the comm center.

The mommasan on the far left looks like my mommasan. She was the oldest of them and sort of was the boss.

MAG 42 VMA 133 A4 flightline NAS Alameda

1982-1986 6011, 6012, 6022 and 6023

Hmh-363
    Hmh-361
    H&ms-16
    Vmgr-234
    Vmgr-352

Mals-13
    Mals-16 (fwd)
    Vma-311

6062 I Level Bubble Chaser

MOS 7234, Tactical Radar Operator

MACS-6 (deactivated), 2d MAW Cherry Point 1978-79, 1981
    MACG-18 TACC, Futenma Okinawa, 1980

So sad the day I discovered the Corps disbanded my old squadron. They were down the old Range Road at CherPt NC. MASS-2 (IIRC) and 2nd LAAM Bn were down the other fork of the road. We used to run our PFT's between them as I suppose the road was 1.5 miles between us & them.

VMFA-232 Red Devils 1989-1992 K-Bay, HI

Thread Information