Stories tell of haunted places on U.S. bases
Create Post

Exclamation Stories tell of haunted places on U.S. bases

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Stories tell of haunted places on U.S. bases
    American military powerless against screams, bumps, spirits in the night

Stars and Stripes
    Pacific edition, Wednesday, October 31, 2007

It’s not your imagination — maybe that sound in the night really was a moan.

Stories of spirits and unexplained phenomena have persisted on U.S. military bases in the Pacific for years.

Doors slam, shadows creep and voices shout in the night. Could it be spirits of the dead reaching out?

As costumed ghosts and ghouls hit the streets for Halloween, Stars and Stripes has compiled some accounts of allegedly real ghosts and ghouls to keep the holiday creepy.
    Creepy crematorium tale

Many of the buildings on Yongsan Garrison in South Korea have been there longer than the U.S. military. Some date back to Japan’s occupation of Korea before and during World War II.

One of those buildings, near the gas station on the garrison’s South Post, has been surrounded by rumors for years.

“I hate being here at night. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up just talking about it,” said Sgt. 1st Class Riviere Cools, 52nd Medical Battalion as he eyed the squat, red-brick building in the center of his unit’s complex of offices. “I don’t believe in that kind of stuff, but in the back of my mind, there are souls here.”

The entire compound, surrounded by a thick, crumbling, brick wall, was a prison during the occupation.

For years, said U.S. Army Garrison spokesman David McNally, soldiers working there have passed along stories claiming that the area, especially the small building in the center, was haunted.

McNally said the building was most likely the prison’s administrative office, but those working around it have a more sinister theory.

“Everybody that’s worked in that building right there has either seen something or heard something,” said Staff Sgt. Sae Kim, 52nd Medical Battalion. “Because that’s where they burned people.”

McNally was quick to point out there was no evidence to suggest that the building was a crematorium, but that doesn’t stop the stories from spreading.

“I haven’t seen any ghosts,” said Sgt. 1st Class Freeman Witherspoon. “But I definitely have heard the rumors. People say they see shadows when they have duty at night.”
    The unexplained voice

Stories of strange happenings abound at the base chapel at Camp Zama in Japan.

Strange presences in rooms and doors that mysteriously open and close are part of chapel lore, employees say.

Some tell stories of strange figures passing by and then disappearing.

“My predecessor said that she used to hear footsteps through the halls late at night,” said Staff Sgt. Desmond West, the Unit Ministry Team noncommissioned officer in charge.

Last year, Spc. Jennifer Villagomez, a funds clerk, said she was working late when a voice emanated from her unplugged computer speakers.

It sounded like a Japanese man, “like a drill sergeant yelling at a private,” she said.

At first, Villagomez said she thought the sounds were a practical joke and called for a sergeant who was the only other person in the building at the time.

“And as I heard him come closer to my office, the voice on the speaker went lower and lower until it went away, just before he walked in the room,” Villagomez said.

She said that since that incident, she tries not to be the last person to in the office at night.

Sgt. Joshua Lee, who works at the chapel with Villagomez, said he didn’t hear the voice that night but has witnessed other strange occurrences.

Chapel lights switch on and doors open seemingly on their own, Lee said.

West, who has worked in the chapel for four years, said he has never seen or heard anything peculiar.

“But the day I start hearing things, I’m running out of here,” he said.
    Ghosts crowd Okinawa

Reportedly haunted sites can be found around almost any corner on and off Okinawa bases.

So many ghost stories abound that Marine Corps Community Services and 18th Services Squadron on Kadena Air Base both run special Halloween spooky sites tours that sell out weeks in advance.

Web sites and a book on the subject — Jayne A. Hitchcock’s “The Ghosts of Okinawa” — celebrate the local haunts.

A World War II soldier is said to roam Gate 3 on Camp Hansen in blood-splattered fatigues asking sentries to light his cigarette.

Marines refused to stand guard due to the haunting, and the gate was eventually closed, according to Hitchcock.

Camp Foster is said to be the home of a ghostly samurai warrior who eternally travels from Stillwell Drive uphill toward Futenma Housing.

Kadena Air Base also has its ghost stories.

A small house behind the Kadena United Services Organization, numbered 2283, is now used for storage because, it is said, no one willingly lives in it for long.

Some say the house remains haunted after a man murdered his family there. Others say the house rests on an ancient burial site, and the souls of the dead beneath are restless.

Kadena’s golf course might be the site where in 1945 a group of high-school girls pressed into service in the Japanese Imperial Army committed suicide, according to another yarn.

The spirits of the dead girls are said to still haunt the land.

Off-base, half-finished buildings are abandoned due to reports of ghostly visitors.

Construction of the Royal Hotel off Route 329, near the Nakagusuku Castle ruins, was begun some three decades ago — possibly on a sacred site.

Mysterious accidents and deaths drove workers to abandon construction.

Meanwhile, at Maeda Point, there is rumored to be a prophet-of-death ghost.

The elderly Okinawan apparition is said to appear at a tomb that can be seen only from the water, and within days of a sighting, a body is found on a nearby beach.

Stars and Stripes reporters Travis Tritten, Jimmy Norris, Vince Little and Cindy Fisher contributed to this story.

This is interesting stuff, and I'm willing to take it seriously. I have an entire book on ghost activity surrounding the Civil War. Incidents like a lady in period dress appearing on a balcony of a Civil War era hotel down South, Mississippi, I believe. Whenever someone takes a picture of her they get a picture of the hotel, but no lady on the balcony.

I personally have reason to believe the spirit of a girl I was once engaged to before I met my wife is following me around. She died fairly young without ever marrying. The night of August 15, 1993, she appeared in a dream, gave me a hug, and said "Goodbye". I found out later for a fact that she died...August 15, 1993. Also, she always wore a distinctive perfume. I've waked up in the middle of the night maybe a half dozen times and caught a whiff of that same perfume. Always when I was sleeping alone, never when my wife was in bed with me. There have been other incidents, but you get the picture.

Also, my shop on the family farm was originally built by my father and three of my uncles, now all deceased, in 1973. Sometimes when I'm working late at night, I swear I can feel another presence in the building.

I think there's an awful lot going on "out there" that we don't know about, and probably shouldn't until the right time.

crate

I've got to agree with crate. Definitely stuff out there that is beyond understanding until the right time. I'm on Camp Hansen right now and gate 3 is only open during the daytime...as soon as 1700 hits, that gate closes down, supposedly because of the ghost that asks for a light. I've heard of that one here...I haven't heard about the one out at Maeda Point though. I go snorkeling there quite frequently and I'm going to be there this weekend for a BBQ. Never seen a tomb though...from the sound of things I don't want to. I know we all have our little stories...growing up in my old house my dogs would wake up from a dead sleep and jump up and run towards absolutely nothing and start barking and going crazy, as if they were barking at somebody.

here ya go, a link to the 15 most famous ghost pics ever taken.! enjoy
    http://damncoolpics.blogspot.com/200....jokeaday.com/

In the former 2d FSSG command building (Now 2d MLG) there is a display case memorial for all the members that have died in Iraq or Afghanistan.

A dog-tag from every Marine or Sailer is in there....

At night, it's spooky....and when you walk by you can hear the "clink" of the tags...I don't know if the vibrations from walking cause them to move or if there is something else....but its definitely spooky....and sometimes you swear you hear footsteps down the hallway but there's only one or 2 people in the building.

Thread Information