MOS Consideration
Create Post

MOS Consideration

I have decided that college isn't right for me ( at least not right out of high school ) and since I was a boy I've wanted to serve and after doing some extensive research have decided I want to join the corps. I looked at all ( maybe not all ) the MOSs in the corps and I want to eventually become a scout sniper. I was told that the best way to do this was to apply as a reconman. I understand that this process of moving from rifleman to reconman to scout sniper will take lots of time. I am unsure if I want to dedicate my life to the service so my question is will the time it takes to become a scout sniper be too long for an unsure recruit or would it make more sense to just strive for reconman?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Fill out a profile according to the rules in the Poolee Forum sticky!

Then read and search the same forum and you will find all the answers. Some you will want to hear and some you won't to be a recon sniper the most popular MOS in the Marine Corps for anyone that can pull the trigger on a BB or paint ball gun.

I didn't realize that scout sniper was such a popular position, but from what I understand it's very physically and mentally demanding and I don't think paintballers could keep up with it.

Fill out your profile first.

Thanks for the help phantom, after searching around the forums I'm leaning more towards striving to become a reconman and being happy with that. I understand both scout sniper and reconman are difficult positions but I always enjoy a challenge and although I plan on enlisting as an 0311 I don't think I'd leave the Corps satisfied if I didn't at least try for 0321.

You know, you can get a UZ contract and enlist as a 0321. That's what two of the guys in our platoon did. Earn that scuba bubble and parachute wing.

I didn't even know. It was my understanding that you had to begin as a rifleman and then move on to UZ. That's really helpful info.

why does EVERYONE want to be a scout sniper? (stupid movies) LOL

or recon. ah well, nothing wrong with wanting to be among the best, I suppose, but MAN it does get old hearing about it all the dang time. either way, good luck!

you can go in as a 0321. after bootcamp youll go to soi and take the indoc. you pass you go to recon.you fail youll be in a grunt unit as an infantryman 0311. you could do sniper in recon but its a tough spot to get. if you go to a regular grunt unit do a deployment and take your units sniper indoc. they dont like boots so after a deployment and your not a turd they will let you or invite you to take the indoc if your chain of command approves it. you pass that you will be a sniper and then go to sniper school

you can go in as a 0321. after bootcamp youll go to soi and take the indoc. you pass you go to recon.you fail youll be in a grunt unit as an infantryman 0311. you could do sniper in recon but its a tough spot to get. if you go to a regular grunt unit do a deployment and take your units sniper indoc. they dont like boots so after a deployment and your not a turd they will let you or invite you to take the indoc if your chain of command approves it. you pass that you will be a sniper and then go to sniper school

You've got plenty of time to think about all of this. You're only 15 and you've got a few years. Right now you need to concentrate on school. If you DO end up going to sniper school there is a lot of math involved. Make sure you are in top physical condition...the attrition rate for scout sniper school is very high.

Thread Information