1st ANGLICO Sub Unit 1, 1967-68 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Smile Patrick

Good to hear from you. I was just a little ahead of you, departing for the World 20 OCT 1968.

I met Pat O'Connor last year at the Quantico reunion. He'll be there again next week, arriving Wednesday for check-in, and Thursday, Friday, and Saturday some old ANGLICO guys will have a great time, getting tours on base, touring the museum, and visiting the National Mall and monuments in DC.

I emailed you about our ANGLICO forum at www.1anglico.org/forums - O'Connor is on board there. You can NOT self-register, I have to do it. I'm lazy and screen out folks with no legimitate interest, advertisers, SPAM, etc. that I would have to deal with as website administrator. I'll bet Pat O'Connor would be happy to see you there. Lots of pics and history accumulating there. The site is just six months old. (it was an iPhone email, my email at home is having problems - computer related - sync with office server temporarily screwed with this laptop)

How about Quantico? Any way you can make it with such short notice? The blocked rooms at the Crossroads Inn on base are taken but you can always try, and there's an alternative place off base as well.

Anyway, you now have my email address. Always great to hear from a brother Anglican. Maybe if you get on the website and share some pics, I'd recognize you, since we were both 3rd Battalion.

Semper Fi

Vance

Quote Originally Posted by patrick4hw View Post
    I was with the ROK at Hoian from Aug 68 To Aug 70 My name is Patrick Zullig My call sign was ZOO. I am new to this site but have so many memories of in country. sWould like to hear from anyone who was there during the same time.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by RVHall View Post
    For those who were attached to the 2nd ROK Marine Brigade:

How many of us are left (alive or sane)? I am pretty sure I am both. I'd welcome an email from any of you with whom I served back then.

The ANGLICO Association web site has very recently posted some of your photos.

During the past year, I have spoken with:
    Doug McLoughlin, Dave Doran, Dan "Shorty" Dierker, Ray Shawn's brother.
    One of these may have Jim Chally's contact information.

Vance Hall
    I have sent you an email about Ray Shawn. Can you tell me if you have received it? I am not skilled with this and the site gave me some trouble about sending it. He was my best friend. Bob Bernhardt

Bob, I've emailed you

Quote Originally Posted by Past14 View Post
    I have sent you an email about Ray Shawn. Can you tell me if you have received it? I am not skilled with this and the site gave me some trouble about sending it. He was my best friend. Bob Bernhardt
    I'll PM you with my email address as well.

Jim Chally, Doug McLoughlin, Dan "Shorty" Dierker, and lots of guys are on our ANGLICO website. We just attended another reunion at Quantico, although Jim didn't make this one. I'll explain.

S/F

Vance

Bob Bernhardt

Have you received any of my emails or PM's, all sent yesterday via various means. You should have my cell phone number now, as well as my email address.

Vance

SU1 1st ANGLICO - Feb 66 - May 67

Well I guess I missed the ANGLICO reunion...I was assigned to Sub Unit One working for LtCol CB Burch in Saigon. Also spent time in Chu Lai...looking for old friends...

Dale Borgen
    Caawards@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by ddborgen View Post
    Well I guess I missed the ANGLICO reunion...I was assigned to Sub Unit One working for LtCol CB Burch in Saigon. Also spent time in Chu Lai...looking for old friends...

Dale Borgen
    Caawards@sbcglobal.net
    Dale

I emailed you, let me know if you didn't receive it.

BTW, better to PM you email address than to make it public.

Hope to hear back.

S/F

ATTN: RVHALL, I did not receive the email you sent, I'm trying to locate other Marines that I served with...I was with sub unit one, 1st ANGLICO from Feb 66 to May 67...

Dale Borgen

Dale - login

Dale, I just used the email function here at Leatherneck to generate an email to you. If you don't receive it, please check to see if your current email address is in your user profile here.

I'll send you a message by PM as well.

Vance

Looking for Vets

My brother, James Gracey, was an Anglico Marine in Vietnam in '67 and '68. He served at least one tour with the ROK's but I do not know which unit. I am trying to find anyone that may remember him.

He had a nick name of KATO, I don't know if that was his call sign or not.

Thank you to any that reply.

We'll try to assist.

My brother, James Gracey, was an Anglico Marine in Vietnam in '67 and '68.
    I'll PM you. Sounds as if you may have lost your brother. If that's the case, I'm sorry to hear that. I can expose your request to a lot of 1st ANGLICO Marines who served with Sub Unit One in Vietnam.

We were spread out from I-Corps to IV-Corps. Even the majority who were in I-Corps detached to the Korean Marines were split up, mostly into two and three man teams with each of the 12 Korean Marine infantry companies (4 battalions), the Brigade quick-reaction company and the recon contingent. So most of us knew only perhaps half the guys detached to a particular battalion at a given time.

Still, we have a shot at finding one or more who knew him. Obviously, the more specific details you can provide, the better.

Check my PM.

If any of my old comrades stumble upon this, I've located a couple of ANGLICO Marines who served in Vietnam after my tour (04OCT67 - 24OCT68). And I have located a ROK Marine who served with 11th Co. before my tour and with 10th Co. after my tour. I will compile contact information for these guys.
    My name is Gary Bennett, Night Cover14 Charlie. served with 3rd bat. 2nd ROK Brigade, Dec66 thru Feb68. Was located on a recon CAP type peak at the edge of An Hoa, and was at Quang Nghai, and Hoi An. The only guy I really remember is Dave Doran. I think he is in Calif now. Brand new at all this. Hope this gets through and I can catch up with some of the guys I served with.

There was the big An Hoa up by DaNang. But there were several little villages named An Hoa. One was in western Binh Son Province. The ROKMC recon platoon had a sort of CAP function as well as running recon patrols out of a base on the peak adjacent to this An Hoa. I was there for just a month, October 1967 to early November.

My point is that I completely forgot about this. When my mom died about 10 years ago, the three kids had to dispose of everything. About a year ago, in my attic, I discovered a box of letters I had sent home. What a shock. I read through most of them and one described an air strike I had worked with one of you guys on, from the recon OP at An Hoa.

Wonder if that was you, probably not, but I don't remember it at all. But it's written in a letter home. That's what we get when we try to forget for nearly 40 years.

If you remember that recon OP at An Hoa, I'd sure appreciate a post on the ANGLICO website at www.1anglico.org/forums.
    I don't know if you know me but I served on that hill out of An Hoa with the ROKMC recon platoon. If it's the same hill, you will remember that there was a small Australian outpost just up the valley from our hill. We had to call in air support on a couple of times. There was a small village at the base of our hill, and the ROKs had build a hospital at the bottom of our trail into the village. I got malaria there and was airlifted off to DaNang in I believe the fall of 67. I was also wounded by a hand grenade right in front of the hospital. Any of this bring back memories? I have a hard time remembering things since the malaria, and the only guy I can remember right now is Dave Doran. I served with him at An Hoa.

Thumbs up

With sub unit May 1967-June 1968. Was in the field with Sgt Pappy Blackburn. Forever changed by the experience. Mostly for the good.

For whatever reason, I can still see so many faces but the names run away from my memory. Wonder if anyone can remember me?

Arnold Keen

Website, reunion

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyak1 View Post
    With sub unit May 1967-June 1968. Was in the field with Sgt Pappy Blackburn. Forever changed by the experience. Mostly for the good.

For whatever reason, I can still see so many faces but the names run away from my memory. Wonder if anyone can remember me?

Arnold Keen
    1. Check out the ANGLICO website at www.1anglico.org/forums and post a photo in the "Looking for Brothers" forum.

2. Consider attending the ANGLICO Association reunion at MCB Quantico in late August. All the info is on our website.

3. Consider a smaller reunion, some of the same guys as August, and others as well, in September at Columbus, Ohio. All the info is on our website.

I was with Det. 5, with the Blue Dragon Brigade. My tour was 04 OCT 1967 - 24 OCT 1968. A month with the recon platoon, the rest with the companies of 3d Bn, mostly 10th Co.

A few names:

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyak1 View Post

Arnold Keen
    Joe Bernier (Bernie)
    Dan Dierker (Shorty)
    Jim Chally
    Doug McLoughlin (Mack)
    Dave Doran - you mentioned
    Dick Dickinson
    Mike Sweeney
    Paul Carter
    Riley

Ray Shawn, KIA 04 JUL 1968, RIP

and many more referenced or participating on our website