1st ANGLICO Sub Unit 1, 1967-68
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile 1st ANGLICO Sub Unit 1, 1967-68

For those who were attached to the 2nd ROK Marine Brigade:

How many of us are left (alive or sane)? I am pretty sure I am both. I'd welcome an email from any of you with whom I served back then.

The ANGLICO Association web site has very recently posted some of your photos.

During the past year, I have spoken with:
    Doug McLoughlin, Dave Doran, Dan "Shorty" Dierker, Ray Shawn's brother.
    One of these may have Jim Chally's contact information.

Vance Hall

Smile 1st ANGLICO SU-1

If any of my old comrades stumble upon this, I've located a couple of ANGLICO Marines who served in Vietnam after my tour (04OCT67 - 24OCT68). And I have located a ROK Marine who served with 11th Co. before my tour and with 10th Co. after my tour. I will compile contact information for these guys.

Smile 1st ANGLICO SU-1, ROKMC, Charles Williams

Charles Williams served with me, with 10th Co., 3rd Bn., 2nd ROK Marine Brigade during the 1968 Tet offensive.

Charles, if you are out there, a fellow ANGLICO Marine, Tom Petri is writing a book and including a chapter on the time 10th Co. was ambushed, Chally was taken away on the CH-46 after they took fire while he was carrying on a stretcher and we didn't know where he went. Some of the details are fuzzy to me, and we could use some help to get the sequence of events straight.

More importantly, I'd like to hear from you, how are you?

sub unit

Served with sub unit 1 from Oct 66 to Jan 69 - I corp NGLO, Rok, Americal Div, Hue. Was with the rok during TET, having trouble remembering any names Jay Wilson

Jay Wilson,you need to update your profile ,or you wont get any replys.

Smile Jay Wilson - re ANGLICO

were you with ANGLICO or NGLO?

Which ROK unit were you attached to during Tet in Hue? There was the 2nd ROK Marine Brigade, the ROK Army Tiger Division, and the ROK Army White Horse Division.

1st ANGLICO Sub Unit One is having a reunion on June 4th at Quantico.

Vance Hall

was with sub unit 1, was with ROK Marines around Quan Nghai (I think) and later around HOI An, the NGLO was I Corp NGLO in Danang. I know about the reunion, they had one here in Columbus but had to be out of town that week

Jay Wilson

Then get your butt down to Quantico, and I'll buy you a beer, Bro.

I'm all the way over in Tulsa, OK, and my daughter is expecting my first grandbaby, but I'm risking a happy home to make this one. Forty years since Tet. Did you know Ray Shawn. He was killed in an ambush on July 4, 1968. He was with either 9th or 11th Co because I was with 10th Co.

Semper Fi, turning in

Vance out

Charles Williams, Det 5, SU-1, 1st ANGLICO

Will

Still looking for you, Bro. Where might you be? Were you from Pell City, AL? Many of our brothers are now located. We need you on board.

Semper Fi

Vance

Quote Originally Posted by RVHall View Post
    Charles Williams served with me, with 10th Co., 3rd Bn., 2nd ROK Marine Brigade during the 1968 Tet offensive.

Charles, if you are out there, a fellow ANGLICO Marine, Tom Petri is writing a book and including a chapter on the time 10th Co. was ambushed, Chally was taken away on the CH-46 after they took fire while he was carrying on a stretcher and we didn't know where he went. Some of the details are fuzzy to me, and we could use some help to get the sequence of events straight.

More importantly, I'd like to hear from you, how are you?

For Tom Petri....... I served as an Aerial Observer with Sub Unit 1 from Aug 69 to Feb 70. I was with the ROK Marines at Hoi An and flew out of Marble Mt. OICs were Majs Watson and Gruhler..... call sign was Kimchee 3......... any input I can lend would be an honor......... Jim Haines

Smile Good to see ya Kimchee!

Hey, Tom just sent me 14 huge Adobe files on the history of our war. They're now viewable in the Vietnam section, if you have Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Also, I just posted a "heads up" for the 2009 1st ANGLICO reunion. Last year's was such a success that John Maurer has decided to host it at Quantico once again. Too early to book reservations, but the rooms are blocked and the dates to mark on your calendar are: arrive 27 May, three full days of activity, the 28th, 29th, and 30th, depart 31 May. Check the ANGLICO website/forum.

Semper Fi,

Vance

Quote Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
    For Tom Petri....... I served as an Aerial Observer with Sub Unit 1 from Aug 69 to Feb 70. I was with the ROK Marines at Hoi An and flew out of Marble Mt. OICs were Majs Watson and Gruhler..... call sign was Kimchee 3......... any input I can lend would be an honor......... Jim Haines

kimchee

Vance........ I will be looking forward to getting the word about the 09 reunion......... meanwhile anything I can do in the way of info on what happened on my tour...... be glad to try and remember...... I still have my log book and it has dates and some info in it......... kimchee out

An Hoa - Kimchee

There was the big An Hoa up by DaNang. But there were several little villages named An Hoa. One was in western Binh Son Province. The ROKMC recon platoon had a sort of CAP function as well as running recon patrols out of a base on the peak adjacent to this An Hoa. I was there for just a month, October 1967 to early November.

My point is that I completely forgot about this. When my mom died about 10 years ago, the three kids had to dispose of everything. About a year ago, in my attic, I discovered a box of letters I had sent home. What a shock. I read through most of them and one described an air strike I had worked with one of you guys on, from the recon OP at An Hoa.

Wonder if that was you, probably not, but I don't remember it at all. But it's written in a letter home. That's what we get when we try to forget for nearly 40 years.

If you remember that recon OP at An Hoa, I'd sure appreciate a post on the ANGLICO website at www.1anglico.org/forums.

Smile ANGLICO Reunion - late May

John has updated the details with scheduled events, evening parade again, dinner at the museum again, etc. Looks like another well-orchestrated John Maurer event. Don't miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by RVHall View Post
    I just posted a "heads up" for the 2009 1st ANGLICO reunion. Last year's was such a success that John Maurer has decided to host it at Quantico once again. .................. dates are: arrive 27 May, three full days of activity, the 28th, 29th, and 30th, depart 31 May. Check the ANGLICO website/forum, ANGLICO Assoc, or military dot com.

I was with the ROK at Hoian from Aug 68 To Aug 70 My name is Patrick Zullig My call sign was ZOO. I am new to this site but have so many memories of in country. sWould like to hear from anyone who was there during the same time.

Patrick

Thread Information