Introducing myself... - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ah, that could very well be the case. I just got an even 20, to make sure I got my PFC Chevies.

You need 12 to pin on PFC. You need 15 to enter w/o a H.S. Diploma.

i'm getting mereterious promotion to PFC my recruiter informed me I am pretty excited see college IS WORTH IT!

Please grant me grace if I offend anyone, but WTF??!!

Sam, I hear ya. College can be tough, but I feel like you're using your age as an excuse. I graduated high school a week before I turned 17 and went to college that fall. I took a full-time load, was working full-time, and was in a Corps of Cadets and ROTC. When there's a will there's a way. Stuff happened in life that got me sidetracked, but now I take 2 classes every 5 weeks and work a 45 hour week. I'm maintaining an A/A- average and scheduled to graduate in a year. And guess what? I'm not much older than you are. I just turned 20.

If you can't handle college, get a real excuse. Don't use your age.

Also, you're telling us about how hard these classes are because of your major. Is Business Administration Management up there with Nuclear Physics? Last I checked it's not, and even though I work for a university I guess I could be wrong. You're taking freshman level courses, right? I mean, most 200 level courses have pre-reqs of 100 level courses. There isn't a 100 level course out there that's ridiculously difficult. I know that because I'm taking 300 and 400 level classes right now and it's not ridiculously difficult. It takes time, dedication, motivation, and use of my resources, but like I said, I'm maintaining an A/A- average.

Quit whining, suck it up, finish up some college, and prove to the Marine Corps that they should let you join.

Sorry if everyone cant be like you and maintain such a work scheldue. Take into consideration that I did not finish my HS Junior or Senior year. The class I'm having most difficulty with is my math class (MTH 30). Im not trying to use my age as an excuse, if I were to interpret your message I could very well say you just posted here to brag about your self and your achievments. I know its going take dedication and motivation, I wake up everyday at 6:30am and go workout until 12, from there I head home get my stuff for school then go to school from 2pm till 9pm. Im highly motivated and dedicated but its usually towards things I like. I find myself slipping when it comes to stuff Im not really interested in. I currently found out I have 6 credits already from criminal justice and sociology, so only need 9 more. I know for sure im going to pass english and communications, but Im still having trouble with the math. Im going to try tutoring this week. I can understand some of the math, but the prof. goes somewhat quick and doesnt explain everything thoroughly. On top of that hes got a strong accent which makes it hard to understand him at times. The reason I said my major affected my class (with it being difficult) is because Math 30 is the lowest math for business adminstration but had I originally went with Liberal Arts major like I had intended I wouldve been given more math classes as an option. Which to me would prove easieri n finding an easier math class. I dont mind both positive and negative feedback, but I feel like you were trying to attack me in this post, so if I came out wrong sorry.

Be honest with ya, Sam, I was trying to point out that when there's a will there's a way. I, too, know what it's like to be at an academic disadvantage. I was homeschooled until high school graduation. My parents were abusive (I now, as an adult, have Orders of Protection against both of them) and left me completely on my own in terms of my school work from the middle of 7th grade on. I was thrown some books and told to learn and study for exams. So, while I graduated from high school I feel like that I missed out on just as much academic instruction as you did.

It sounds like you're having a hard time seeing college as Step #1 to enlisting in the Marine Corps. It sounds like if your mindset were a little bit different you might be more successful. Math is tough for a lot of people, myself included. Good job on using your resources (getting that tutor)! Also, you might want to check out http://www.pathwhelp.org/ Freshman level college math is usually about the same as AP level high school math, so the teachers there might be able to help.

Bootcamp is going to have a lot of classroom time and a lot of exams. You might not find all of it fun or interesting, but you'll have to learn it, just like your math.

My previous post wasn't about making me feel good. In fact, I don't feel good about any of my "achievements" yet. Being able to check the "some college" box job applications doesn't do it for me. I'm not a Marine. I'm not a college graduate. I'm just another kid, Sam. My post was about wanting to make sure that us young'uns are taken seriously. You said it yourself. "I'm highly motivated and dedicated but its usually towards things I like." In my experience, to be treated like the young adult that you are it's necessary to be motivated and dedicated towards what's necessary, and not just what you like.

Alright man, thanks for the advice. I see what your talking about. Your just looking out for me and all. I appreciate it man Thanks alot I'll be checking out that link you gave, Im trying everything I can to pass this math, communications class is proving to be somewhat difficult now aswell with my research paper and all, but Im going to do what ever it takes to get step 1 done. I appreciate all the advice and support your all giving , thanks everyone you dont know how much it means to me.

I've never been called "man" so much as a woman. I'll take it as a term of endearment, I guess. lol.

Good luck, Sam.

Thread Information