USMC Reading List?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post USMC Reading List?

Hello my name is Roberto and I recently entered the DEP with the USMC. My ship date is set for March of 08. I am very proud of my decision.
    This is my first post and I am relatively new to the site so forgive me for any inaccuracies, any constructive criticism is welcome.
    As any other recruit I am trying to be as prepared as I can be. I've read a lot of posts here and on other sites, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on any books. I am looking for anything from preparing for boot camp, military life, Marine Corps history, to just a good book that relates to USMC in general.
    Also I want to pick up a copy of Art of War but there are so many different translations by different publishers. Has anyone read it? If so, which and would you recommend it?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    There are a few booklists around here. Some pretty recent, but the FIRST book I think you should read is MARINE!, it's about Lewis B. Puller... aka CHESTY! This will show you the definition of a Marine's Marine. Also Making the Corps is a good book you should read before you ship out. Shooter is a good book, The Gift of Valor is a good read too.

Search the forums there are a few more comprehensive lists floating around. I'm sure you'll get a few more responses. Congratulations on the decision also

Quote Originally Posted by TrailMix
    Also I want to pick up a copy of Art of War but there are so many different translations by different publishers. Has anyone read it?
    No. But i know some coaches who find it beneficial for continuing education.

If you read even a fraction of the current and archived threads on this site you will have plenty of educational material you cant find in books with the benefit of contacting the authors. Keep your BS detector tuned in and ask questions, it should keep you occupied until you ship out or do a search for 'reccomended reading" theres a few threads with plenty of ideas.

--->Dave

I as a poolee redomend reading BOOT! it is one of the most amazing books ive ever read. takes you day by day through boot camp. and its in parris island. amazing book. must read. at my RSS you are ordered to read the book.

Welcome aboard Roberto!

Make sure you read all the stickied threads at the top of the forum to help you get introduced. As for The Art of War, I've read many versions and they are all pretty good, I can't really reccommend one over the other. I would suggest for any Poolee/potential Recruit reading, The Few and the Proud, Marine Corps Drill Instructors in Their Own Words.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    As any other recruit

TrailMix,

Until you hit the yellow footprints at PI you are a poolee. Once you land at the depot and are greeted by the loving drill instructors then you will become a recruit. After your training in bootcamp and you march with your series across the parade deck grinder and the orders are given to dismiss the platoons then you will become a Marine.Good luck to you! In addition to the reading list read the posts in the Poolee forum and Marine mentor they will help you very much and answer very many questions.

Making the Corps is a good book- and a little more recent than Boot! It was written about a company going through PI during the same time that I was in SD. A good friend of mine in the fleet knew most of the people that were talked about in the book.

Boot is also good. I read it before I went to boot camp. Funny enough, boot camp was a little different than the book made me think it was going to be.

As far as Marine Corps books- I loved Force Recon Diary 1969 (1970 isn't bad either). It was written by Bruce Norton who retired from the Marine Corps as a major in the 1990s. However, during Vietnam he was a Corpsman and was the only non-Marine to lead recon patrols.

brian21johansen
    Guest Free Member
    In no particular order............

Boot

Making The Corps

Spare Parts (awesome book)

To Be a US Marine

also you could check out the Guidebook For Marines

It's the most obvious one I can think of before heading off to bed, Marine Sniper about Carlos Hathcock, simply amazing some of the shots he made. This isn't really about boot camp or anything, but really gives you some moto, it did for me anyway.

A good one is called the few the proud, its about marine corps drill instructors and there history of amrine training at mcrd san diego and parris island

Welcome aboard Trailmix.

Well I just ordered, Boot, Making the Corps, and Four in the Corps, from amazon.com. Ahh ya gotta love used books, so much cheaper. I should have em read through in a few weeks.

af1892ad, when posting here you need to capitalize the words Marine and Corps, and try to use proper punctuation and grammar as well.

Tom Clancy novels although fiction, have alot of military jargon. Plus they are freaking sweet.

I just got through with a couple books, thought I'd add my two cents.

One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick - Great book. Really interesting to read something from the officer's POV. Especially interesting to read about OCS.

Generation Kill by Evan Wright - This is more from the journalist POV, but he was embedded in Fick's command, so it's a bit more interesting if you've read Fick's book first (IMHO).

Both good books.

you can get some good ones that aare a new to read in addition to the regualr reading list from almar 030/07.

its at Marine University im not sure the exact website but it will have the reading list im sure you dont need to read rifleman dodd you get one issued in boot, at least i did. But it has some new books in this almar plus has a link to reading lists for lancoollies and below.

Thread Information