Question for the snipers out there. - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    based on that question i would ascert you were a boot straight out of boot camp or not even a marine yet, especially considering your profile is barely filled out im leaning to the latter rather than the former..

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BERUZ View Post
    What's the difference between 0311 then becoming a scout sniper or 0321 and becoming a scout sniper.
    what's the difference between 3531 then becoming a scout sniper or 0111 and becoming a scout sniper?

As a 03xx I think you would have a better chance at it. Especially now that it's an Infantry MOS 0317.

There was critirea to meet (in my time). You had to have a high PT score of around 280 to 300. You had to have 3 consecutive Expert range quals. You had to have 20/20 vision or correctable to that standard. There were a few more but I forget what they were now. Although with the 8541 MOS some of these could be waived by a CO or Battalion Commander.

I have a friend who started as a 0341 (? that's from memory so if it's wrong I apoligize) mortar man who later went Reconnaissance man 0321. He has said that he was being prepped to go to SS school when he lost his hearing and was dropped and that he got kicked from the ship (he was stationed on an aircraft carrier in a weapons platoon before losing his hearing). After that he got put in a truck company as a low level mechanic fixing broken headlights and put in a tool room trading tools for ID cards. He left the Corps because of this. Although he's very proud for having been a Recon Marine.

The guy I was talking about in an earlier post was actually a schooled 0121 although he performed many other job tasks besides fulfilling multiple admin type functions and roles besides his primary schooled duty, such as being an ammunition handler for a 5" gun turret, was the radio man for the HQ (although at times this was traded with another HQ Marine), was a machine gunner / assist gunner at times on a M60E3 MG, he was also qualed on the .50 cal M2 HMG and for awhile (not long enough to claim the MOS) was a M249 gunner. None of these are in his SRB as they were all considered "secondary" TAD MOSs for him (even though he held most for over a year or longer), that he filled and preformed when needed. His primary was being the MarDet's SRB clerk but he held / filled many other duty functions also, much more so than all of the other MarDet Marines. He didn't learn that he could claim them til he was out of the Corps, much later. He still claims the MOSs now as he did do them while in (at least the ones he did over 6 months, as he did most over a year or even longer, some close to 2 years). There's a saying that goes like "All gave some, Some gave all", he added another line "and I gave more than most" because of all the other full MOS duties he had been given and performed without question, while other Marines only had 1 job function or would refuse anything but to do their one MOS job (which he never understood how the other Marines could do that). He liked to learn other skills and to perform the best that he could.

His Bootcamp was longer than normal for the time as the then Commandant wanted every Marine a rifleman because the Corps had slacked on this and had tried to follow the other forces and had tried to make the MC into a 9 to 5 job (as much as it could which doesn't work for a Force in Readiness during the middle '80s) before his time in. His Boot was 18 weeks instead of the normal 12 at the time, as a SoI type phase was implemented into it (it was an experimental evolotion which was dropped as it was later deemed to costly and that it was thought that parent commands should train their Marines). And he got a 0311 designator for awhile but which later got resended (by another Commandant I think, not exactly sure what happened there. For awhile the 0311 was in the SRBs then a line was put through it and later the page was totally retyped with the 0311 descripter being erased. Maybe the new Commandant didn't want Marines to have 2 primary listed MOSs at the same time in their SRBs as there was only a few Marines that had this because of the limited experimental evolotion. Exactly why it was changed is unknown to me).

xxxxx

I found this while looking for something else.

The Marine Corps Occupational System uses a four-digit number code constructed on the concept that occupations with similar skill, knowledge, or functional application requirements are grouped into functional areas, known as occupational fields (OccFlds), and skill-knowledge sets, known as Military Occupational Specialties (MOSs).

OccFlds are identified by the first two digits of the four-digit code and a descriptive title.

The OccFld is a grouping of related MOSs. The MOS is a four-digit code consisting of the OccFld code completed by two additional digits. It describes a set of related duties and tasks that extend over one or more grades.

The Marine Corps used to have two basic types of MOSs -- Primary MOSs (PMOS), and Category "B" MOS. Category "B" MOSs were sort of a job-within-a job. A Marine who possessed a PMOS and received extra training in a specialized procedure or equipment could then also be awarded the Category "B" MOS that related to that specialized training.

However, in 2007, the Marine Corps eliminated Category "B" MOSs and replaced them with NMOS, FMOS, EMOS, and AMOS:

Primary MOS (PMOS): Used to identify the primary skills and knowledge of a Marine. In other words, it is the Marine's primary military job.

Necessary MOS (NMOS): A non-PMOS that has a prerequisite of one or more PMOSs. This MOS identifies a particular skill or training that is in addition to a Marine's PMOS, but can only be filled by a Marine with a specific PMOS.

Free MOS (FMOS): Non-PMOS that can be filled by any Marine regardless of primary MOS. A free MOS requires skill sets unrelated to primary skills.

Exception MOS (EMOS): Non-PMOS that is generally a FMOS, but include exceptions that require a specific PMOS.

Additional MOS (AMOS): Any existing PMOS awarded to a Marine who already holds a PMOS. Marines are not promoted in an AMOS.

xxxxx

I found this but it doesn't have TAD (Temporary Additional Duty) listed (wonder if it's been done away with then?) but it does have a lot of other stuff that is new. Now there are 5 different MOSs I guess. This is even more confusing, haha.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    OLD THREAD FROM YEARS AGO, ARE THESE PEOPLE STILL READING THIS THREAD???????? doubt it lol

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    Lets dredge something up about Prohibition while were at it, just to keep current

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    What's wrong with these people bringing up ancient threads like it was a conversation started today? They have no idea how bizarre it looks.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Yep--odd.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    One thng for dang sure, it aint like fine wine, the older the better

Quote Originally Posted by PJones64 View Post
    Lets dredge something up about Prohibition while were at it, just to keep current
    Then don't think of it as a conversation like one would have on the street but people just putting down their knowledge and experiences to discuss on a subject. Why is it so hard to understand that?

Also why all the prohibition references? Is someone hitting the sauce a little to hard? Are you ok? Should I request a Marine alcohol councilor for you?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider95 View Post
    Why is it so hard to understand that?
    because it is poor forum etiquette

Credits
    Savings
    "poor forum etiquette" Now there's a new one. Can I find that publication in the online library, right next to the roberts rules for forums?

When you look at the number of people who participate You should be glad when anyone comments on anything here regardless of it's age. Most of the time this place is like Is anybody home? Hello...hello...hello...hello

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    The average person who reads 37 and 50's references to Prohibition, two references only, will not be struck in the same way as Raider, who reads too much into posts. The point, let me walk you through it, is that this thread is old, like Prohibition. To read more into it is unusual. It truly takes all kinds, but that's ok, keep posting on ancient threads. lol

Credits
    Savings
    Semper Fi Brother but remember this...We The Marines...Our Future is really built on the past...We revere those who built the history that we learned while we were active and now we are the ones who must pass that on to the next generation of Marines.

I'd like a copy of that Roberts Rules for Forums...

That was pretty rich. Thanks for the chuckle.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HST View Post
    "poor forum etiquette" Now there's a new one. Can I find that publication in the online library, right next to the roberts rules for forums?

When you look at the number of people who participate You should be glad when anyone comments on anything here regardless of it's age. Most of the time this place is like Is anybody home? Hello...hello...hello...hello
    it's like golf etiquette, unwritten rules

I am an administrator/moderator and part owner of a few car forums....we keep it relevant, any thread older than 2 years automatically gets archived. You can still view it but not able to post in it unless another administrator or myself open it back up. It is a HUGE drain on the server and host to keep garbage like this going.

Thread Information