I Need Some Advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question I Need Some Advice

I just got off the phone with my Recruiter, they have an opening for me to ship to boot dut ot an injury.If I accept I have to leave tommorrow and I had a few quick questions before I go off to think this over.

1.I sprained my ankle about a month ago, I can run on it for a while but my ankle is still a little swollen and after about 20 minutes my leg starts crammping up(now heres the question) Should I wait untill its 100% healed or should I go now?

2.I can do the 1.5 mile run and the crunches no problem, but right now i can only do 1 pullup maybe 2. Should I go now or wait untill I improve?

Any advice would be aprecciated.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thomas, if you don't think your ankle is healed enough then wait! You don't want to be in MRP for a couple of weeks while it heals. That would mean an extra couple of weeks on the Island, and I don't think you want that!

Just wait. You need to meet (preferrably and for your own sake, exceed) all IST standards before you head off to a recruit depot. It'll mean extra time for you if you don't, guaranteed.

You'd be doing an injustice to yourself by shipping out so soon. Bust your nuts on that pullup bar. You'll be safer if you leave doing 5 pullups, then you know you can get your 3 when you're somewhat tired, and I'll tell ya what, you're not 100% refreshed necessarilly when they test your fitness at bootcamp, understand?

If you have to even go as far as to push back your original intended ship date, do it! Otherwise it'll just be that much worse for ya. You can stay back here in the rear for a bit working on your fitness and delay going -- but get through in 13 weeks, OR you can go, spend the same amount of extra weeks in MRP/PCP (possibly even more) and potentially graduate around the same time.

Which option sounds better to you? Don't rush yourself. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Don't go now! If you're not feeling ready to go, and you're not physically in good shape, you'll end up staying on the Island a lot longer than you want to. Plus, if you already can't even do the minimum pull ups, you may not even pass the IST. That would suck. I had recruiters who tried to ship me out earlier than I was ready, and me (being a people pleaser) almost did it. Don't do it just to make them happy. It's your life, you're just a number to them.

I agree with what everyone else said, it doesn't sound like it would be a good idea for you to go now. If I were you I'd wait until my ankle was back to 100% and get my pull-up count up to at least 5. In my opinion, waiting will help out much more in the long run for you. You wouldn't want to be put in PCP with a hurt ankle either just because you can only do one or two. I would play it safe and wait.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    That is some seriously short notice.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Salezel

YOU are not prepared to go to recruit training. You admit to doing barely the minimums. That will not go at MCRD. YOU need to get off your lazy 6 and put some work in for yourself. NOBODY else can do this. What you sweat now will be rewarded in the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Take three months now and avoid the certain pain at PCP, or whatever it is called these days.

It is all up to YOU.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SMDPitt
    That is some seriously short notice.
    Well the guy they want me to replace broke his leg on the way to meps somehow.

Ok thank you all I aprecciate your thoughts on the subject, and i've already told the recruiter that im not ready yet

Go

Your ankle will be fine, the first couple of weeks at bootcamp it's all about adrenaline. They'll scare the sh*t out of you and you'll never think about it, go.

Only 1 pull up, my sister can do 1 pull up? Are you serious? Man, what's this world coming to?

Again, with proper motivation you'll do at least 5 and over time as long as your not overweight it'll improve. Are you overweight too?

Well I'd still go, so go call him back and tell him you want to go ASAP. Get to skippin. What's really the alternative, sit around on the coach nursing a bum ankle playing video games and eatin potato chips?

Go get some

Credits
    Savings
    Images

thewookie

I am in total agreeance with what you state, I went to PI with a broken toe. But an ankle injury can be very painful and could take awhile to heel if it is re-injured on constanly used to extremes. But one pullup. come on dude you can do better than that.

The ankle is what it is. I've had a high sprain that took over a year to get back to 100%. But, not being able to do enough pull ups is a deal killer. You don't want to end up in PCP due to not being able to get your chin above the bar.

I agree

I've had bad ankles since I was a kid, they never go away, I turn them on the simplest of things, someday I'll go under the knife. I think 1 pull up is unsat, WTF? You better stay home and pull your rear end off the coUch if you want to be Marine.

BTW, broken toes are tough, I broke my big toe once, I was running up the steps to the barracks and fell one Friday after we got turned to libo, I hobbled around on Waikiki Blvd all weekend looking for some lubin I've broken two things, bones that is,, my big toe and my thumb on my right hand, go figure, knock on wood.

Take your broke A$$ to the pull up bar, Burns. Get on my bar, Burns (Country Boy Hale will like that one)

If you come here with a bum ankle and 1 pull-up you will be sent to PCP or MRP depending on which issue they feel is bigger.

If you're not ready, don't come. Simple as that. True, sitting at home eating potato chips may not seem "moto" to some, but neither is sitting in a squadbay watching your motivation sap away each day. Take the time to improve yourself at home. Get with the recruiters and start training with them to improve your upper body strength.

There is a lot to be said for "adrenaline" and "motivation" but there is no substitute for actual ability. And when it's all said and done, you need to be able to do 3 pull-ups (preferably much more) and run 3 miles before you can leave this place. Start that now, not when you get here.

Pull

You hear that Salezel? That's the Lieutenant telling you you're unsat. Not just some unsat old Sergeant, haha. Get to pulling you done p*ssed off the Lieutenant. One, two, three four, I LOVE THE MARINE CORPS,,, one, two, three, four, I LOVE THE MARINE CORPS.

THE BAR IS NOT 1 OR 3 PULL UPS, IT'S 25. 5 MORE THEN YOU NEED. START PULLING SALEZAL, 1,2,3,4,,,,,,,,

ok if your recruiter knows you sprained your ankle then he should not even offer a leave day unless MEPPS gives you the go ahead. Second you can do one pull up????????Were you in the DEP????? If so WTF you need to get off your lard azz and get it done. How much do you weigh, Nevermind doesent matter you need to pull your fat azz up more than one time. Dont go!!!!!!!!!! You will just be disapointed when they put you in the fat body platoon.

Thread Information