The Circle of the Corps
Create Post

The Circle of the Corps

I've noticed a trend with the Marine Corps that I have not noticed elsewhere. Just as a random moment of me pretending to be smart, I'd like to share my thoughts with fellow poolees and Marines here, to see what they have to say.

I recall quite a way back when I was sitting on a dryfire range at Camp Butner NC... we were snapping in in the sitting position with our rifles in a junior shooting clinic. I remember struggling like hell to get my sling on ( 1907 parade type leather slings, not the cotton web slings used in boot ), even though this was my second year shooting service rifle. A Sgt. by the name of Donald McCleaster of the USMC Rifle Team ( I believe he was of an artillery MOS ) appeared next to me, noticing that I was taking a while to put the sling on. He very calmly took a look at my sling, and showed me that I put in one too many twists to the left. All of a sudden, with his guidance, I settled into one of the most solid sitting positions of my life... my first rapid fire string that day at 200 yards was a possible with 8Xs.

I remember from the first day I saw a Marine recruiter, he noticed I was hovering around the door to the office he was allowed to use in the school. I remember he was in his cammies, perfect sleeve rolls, crisp blousing on his trousers. I recall telling him that I was thinking about the military, but school was a pain in the behind ( as a young kid, of course I didn't want to be there! ). Instead of trying to tell me to just skate by and what he had to offer me like other recruiters, he sat me down and explained the importance of finishing your education, and helped me organize a tough assignment. He told me that he wanted smart candidates that wanted to be there and could finish the job, however hard or nasty it was. Thanks to that man, I stick with it and managed to get in a year of college before I signed my papers to join the Corps... I intend to get my degree while in.

And lastly, I had a talk with my uncle this evening. Graduated Parris Island in 1986, became an infantryman and did some security force work. He gave nothing but sound advice, and evidently is still scared to DEATH of his Senior ( told me his hands were shaking, and the hair on the back of his neck stood on end just thinking about him ). He wasn't asking anything of me, just giving me help, knowing that I'd take it to heart. I could hear pride in his voice... I don't know how to describe it, but it was just the sound of silent approval.

I see the trend... Marines have always been there for me, always gone out of their way to help me, and support my decision to join their ranks. And when I ask them, 'Why do you do it?'... the overwhelming answer is that they just want to help the Corps, and the future of it. Its selfless service, and duty beyond what is stated on their DD-214. They help, protect, and take care of their own. It ain't about rank, or ribbons, promotions or job... its about helping your fellow Marine, and preserving the Corps. It is the legacy that we will inherit, poolees. We have to keep up the fire.

Just food for thought, so that one day, when we poolees meet a young kid who wants to join the Marines... that we can do just the same.

Always Faithful - Sookdeo

THE CHANGE IS FOREVER!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Good read.

762. I know what you mean about the Marines. They are different. They always took the time to help me out when I needed it.

Like my recruiter said. "We take care of our own,"

Credits
    Savings
    Exactly! My recruiter and I just had a talk the other day about being the for everyone in the Corps from the lowly poolee to a grizzled veteran. He was talking about how he has only known the GySgt for 6 months and he would lay his life down for him without hesitation. There are times when I'll just call him to see whats up and pop into his office to bother him and talk about pretty much anything, anything in school that's bothering me. There are also a LARGE number of retired Marines in my community that have talked to me about joining, not pressuring me just giving me an insiders look at the good AND bad of the Corps. They don't sugarcoat it at all, and that's what I like. All the other branches pretty much focus on YOU and your feelings to try to get you to sign on that line, whereas the Marines from the get go are focused on the greater Corps. I know my recruiter, at least, is not scared to turn away people who are in it for all the wrong reasons, he just directs them down the hallway to one of the other branches that can cater to their every whim and need.

And does anyone else think they position the Marine offices in the back so you can walk by the other branches and know you're joining the best of the best? Because I know everytime I walk right past the other offices I get a rush, knowing I could go into the Army get a 20-25k signing bonus, an easy "softer" basic training; or the Airforce for a short quick and easy bootcamp and high quality of life; but I opt for that choice at the back of the hallway, the USMC.

Wow I just rambled ona bit there, but I'm sure most of you know what I'm trying to get at

As far as the position of the Corps office, I think that might have something to do with it, actually. All Corps recruiters I know always wanted to speak last, all offices have been in the back.

But... that's just how I want it. I want to surround myself with hardcorps, motivated, smart people who want to be there, not with those focused on money, the easy path, their girlfriend, etc. I want a dedicated and technically proficient warfighter by my side, not a weakling.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Good Read, Kids,,,,, Remember, TOYS for TOTS aint about PR. It's how we live and how we have chosen to be.

Credits
    Savings
    My sentiments exactly. If you want money, join the Army and get yourself a sweet signing bonus. If money is the only thing attracting you to the military life rather than the desire to be one of the few and loyalty above everything else.. don't join the Marines.

Plus the recruiters will work with everyone who shows the desire... there was a poolee at my RSS who was about 90 pounds overweight... my recruiter said lose 20 by yourself in a month then come back here and I guarantee I'll help you with that other 70. Now some people might see this as just putting this poolee off, I saw it as empowering the poolee and also a test of desire to join the USMC. My friend enlisted in the Airforce and was consistently over her shipping weight (about 10 pounds) for the whole 9 months she was in DEP and her recruiter did NOTHING to help her, until the last week when he had to slim her down and basically just told her to go on a water diet and use LAXATIVES. Wow, good to go there? No... she struggled throughout basic training but made it. She came with me once to see my recruiter (as just a confidence person for me) and he confided in me after that he would never EVER send a recruit that was that unprepared and overweight... just goes to show again, you're more than just a number to them.

As a side note, the above mentioned friend's T.I. (training instructor) took her platoon (is that right for AF? i don't know, whatever) to Burger King the Sunday before she graduated. And she could call home every saturday and sunday for the whole 6 1/2 weeks she was there. Gah.

7.62mm you have a good take on things and you are right. The Marine Corps as you have heard " Takes care of there own " And it is a literal term. We absolutely leave no one behind ever. The Marine Corps is really a state of mind, Patriots for the republic, A republic that if you listen to the news, is not appriciated much. However it is appreciated by the normal every day Joe. Going through boot you will go through the change. You will be tempered by freedoms flame and you will never be the same. ( the change is forever). You will not look at things the same way, You will feel a very strog sense of pride of what you have accoplished and behold a brand new patriot is born. Listen to your drill instructors as they will teach you the Marine way. You will go to the fleet. DO NOT loose what you were taught in boot camp. Keep the three words and what they mean to you very close. ( Honor, Courage, Commitment) Good luck and get it done

Thread Information