MARSOC Marine awarded Reservist of the Year

By Lance Cpl. Stephen C. Benson, Marine Forces Special Operations Command

Gunnery Sgt. Joseph A. Gerace, Command, Control, Communications, Computers (C-4) Requirements Manager, U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Special Operations Command, was selected as 2007 Reservist of the Year by the Marine Corps League for the integral role he played in the initial formation of U.S. Special Operations Command’s Marine Corps component.

Gerace, a native of Chelsea, Mass., attended a ceremony in Washington D.C., Oct. 3, where he formally accepted the award.

Lt. Col. Frederick J. Hopewell, Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff, G-6, submitted the package to nominate Gerace. Hopewell said that when MARSOC G-6 had only half its authorized personnel, Gerace took care of maintenance, requirements and operations.

“Most didn’t even know [Gerace] was a reservist,” said Hopewell. “He was all over the place; he has given capability to this command.”

Hopewell added, “When I found out he was a reservist doing all this work for us, I knew he would stand ‘front rank’ among his peers.”

Gerace has worked with MARSOC since late 2005 before it was officially formally activated. As the assistant G-6 maintenance chief, Gerace took it upon himself to complete many difficult tasks necessary for MARSOC to be successful. The computer and network setups were essential for the command to begin running. Gerace kept the command connected and met every deadline, no matter how demanding.

Marines working with Gerace respect his dedication. Master Sgt. John P. Craig, who works with Gerace as the Maintenance Chief for MARSOC G-6, was an instructor for the Communication Systems Maintenance course when Gerace went through in 1991.

“He is an exceptional staff non-commissioned officer, an excellent reservist and an exemplary Marine,” he said of Gerace.

Gerace believes his selection for the Reservist of the Year award proves there can be a seamless integration of reserve and active duty Marines.

“When I first mobilized, there was a lot of reserve-against-active-duty attitude,” said Gerace. “That’s one thing I noticed has gone away here.”

“Guys will come up to me and say ‘Hey, I didn’t know you were a reservist,’ and that’s honestly how it should be,” said Gerace. “You shouldn’t be able to tell the difference.”

Gerace originally came to MARSOC on loan from the II Marine Expeditionary Force Augmentation Command Element. When he demobilized in March 2007, he returned to drilling status with II MEF Individual Mobilization Augmentation Detachment. With more than 16 years of Marine Corps experience behind him, he remains on the Marine Corps Reserve roles, but choosing to also continue service with MARSOC as a civilian employee.

Gerace plans to stay with MARSOC as it continues to build toward full operational capability because he finds the job challenging and highly rewarding.

Despite selection for the award and praise from his co-workers, Gerace remains modest about the award.

“The bottom line is we’re here to support the trigger-pullers,” he said during an interview in the small office he shares with three co-workers. “To me, it’s not a personal award, it’s definitely a group award, and it’s an indication of all the work that is getting done here at MARSOC, not just by me.”

Active duty Marines and Sailors interested in joining MARSOC can contact the Marine Special Operations School at (910) 450-3349/3123 (DSN 750-3349/3123) or visit us online at www.marsoc.usmc.mil/recruiting.

Ellie