Jury finds Knicks coach Isiah Thomas harassed former team executive Anucha Brown
Create Post
    jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member

Jury finds Knicks coach Isiah Thomas harassed former team executive Anucha Brown

NEW YORK (AP) -- A jury decided Tuesday that New York Knicks coach Isiah Thomas sexually harassed a former top team executive, subjecting her to unwanted advances and a barrage of verbal insults, but also said he does not have to pay punitive damages.

After an ugly, three-week trial, the verdict gives Thomas a partial victory in the $10 million lawsuit filed by Anucha Browne Sanders.

The jury did find that Madison Square Garden committed harassment against the woman, and decided that she is entitled to punitive damages from MSG.
    U.S. District Judge Gerard E. Lynch called it an "eminently reasonable" verdict and said the jury will be asked to return later Tuesday to hear brief arguments on punitive damages.
    "I'm innocent, very innocent, and I did not do the things she has accused me in this courtroom of doing," Thomas said. "I'm extremely disappointed that the jury did not see the facts in this case. I will appeal this, and I remain confident in the man that I am and what I stand for and the family that I have."

Madison Square Garden also said it would appeal.

"We believe that the jury's decision was incorrect," MSG said in a statement. "We look forward to presenting our arguments to an appeals court, and believe they will agree that no sexual harassment took place and MSG acted properly."

The harassment verdict was widely expected after the jury sent a note to the judge Monday indicating that it believed Thomas and the other defendants, Madison Square Garden and MSG chairman James Dolan, sexually harassed Browne Sanders, a married mother of three.

After the verdict, Browne Sanders hugged family members and friends gathered in the back of the courtroom. Thomas huddled with his lawyers, and was allowed to leave the Manhattan courthouse. Dozens of reporters and cameras gathered outside the courthouse to await his exit.

Browne Sanders, fired from her $260,000 a year job in 2006, sued Thomas and Madison Square Garden. Her case presented the Garden as "Animal House" in sneakers, a place where nepotism, sexism, crude remarks and crass language were part of the culture.

The former Northwestern college basketball star characterized Thomas as a foul-mouthed lout who initially berated her as a "*****" and a "ho" before his anger gave way to ardor, with Thomas making unwanted advances and encouraging her to visit him "off site."

Thomas, who was hired in December 2003, followed her to the stand and denied all her allegations. Attorneys for Thomas and the Garden also portrayed Browne Sanders as incompetent and unable to adapt once the former NBA star player arrived as the Knicks' president.

"That's not about sexual harassment," MSG attorney Ronald Green said in his closing argument. "That's about team politics."

Thomas, who is married with two children, acknowledged trying to kiss Browne Sanders in December 2005, asking her "No love today?" when she recoiled. MSG president Steve Mills said he spoke with Thomas about the single incident, and the former point guard said it wouldn't happen again.

AP - Oct 1, 2:30 pm EDT
    More Photos
    In her closing argument, Browne Sanders' attorney Anne Vladeck made note of Thomas' charismatic style and incandescent grin.

"There is no question Mr. Thomas can be charming and flash an engaging smile," she told the jury. "That does not give him the right to treat Browne Sanders like she is his woman."

Dolan, who testified before Thomas, said he dismissed the team's vice president for marketing and business operations after learning she was pressuring Garden subordinates to bolster her complaint.

The case, from its inception, proved a public relations disaster for the Knicks and the Garden, with intense coverage of the three-week trial focusing on its tawdriest aspects -- star guard Stephon Marbury having sex with an intern outside a strip club, raunchy come-ons from a Marbury cousin to his Garden co-workers, Thomas' videotaped remarks about the racial dynamics of calling a woman "a *****."

The trial did steer attention from the Knicks on-court woes as the team geared up for its second season with Thomas as coach. The Knicks finished 33-49 last year, and have yet to win a playoff game during the Thomas regime.
    The Knicks opened training camp Tuesday in Charleston, S.C.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Jet Who the hell cares?

Quote Originally Posted by jetdawgg
    Her case presented the Garden as "Animal House" in sneakers, a place where nepotism, sexism, crude remarks and crass language were part of the culture.
    Sounds like the fleet to me.

She's getting 11.6 million dollars, who won? Isiah may have won personally but MSG is paying for it. She was making 260k a year, minus inflation they could have had her for another 45 years. How do you get a 11.6 million dollar settlement when you make 260k a year? For harassment and for being exposed to a college frat house environment?

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie
    She's getting 11.6 million dollars, who won? Isiah may have won personally but MSG is paying for it. She was making 260k a year, minus inflation they could have had her for another 45 years. How do you get a 11.6 million dollar settlement when you make 260k a year? For harassment and for being exposed to a college frat house environment?
    That's the scary part. As a business owner you should be scared sh1tless. MSG had to pay and not Zeke who was the individual the case was presented on.

This is out of hand here. A case like that can close a small business. Generally it is he said/she said

Right on, so my question is if she's working at WalMart is a settlement going to be this out of whack then? Say she's making $7 bucks an hour? And I totally think Isiah should be forking over something, he's the boss and was accused along with the rest of the boys being boys. But he's can do no wrong. They'll fire him before the season ends and give him a couple million in severance. And then hire Larry Brown again! Love it, gotta luv them Knicks!

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie
    Right on, so my question is if she's working at WalMart is a settlement going to be this out of whack then? Say she's making $7 bucks an hour? And I totally think Isiah should be forking over something, he's the boss and was accused along with the rest of the boys being boys. But he's can do no wrong. They'll fire him before the season ends and give him a couple million in severance. And then hire Larry Brown again! Love it, gotta luv them Knicks!
    They should trade Zeke. He has traded a lot of good players never giving the team a time to mold itself into something. He should be the only one paying. As a business owner, how can one be responsible for what every employee does?

Generally the employee gets fired, but htey love Zeke for some reason there. Another year of high payed talent with little success.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Initially I thought that Isiah should have to pay 1/2 the settlement because he perpetuated the transgression and MSG should pay the other 1/2 because Isiah worked for them. Now I think he, Isiah, should pay all of it.
    I'm wondering how much a man would get if he was sexually harrassed by a women? Maybe five dollars...if he is lucky.

Thread Information