Just a few ? before i go...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Just a few ? before i go...

Hello Everyone! Ok, so I am leaving in exactly 2 weeks and every single question and concern is coming to mind all at once... If anyone can help answer some of these I would really appreciate it.

First I went to MEPS I signed to join the reserves for my families sake, i was told when I felt ready I am able to switch to active duty. Is this true? If so how long do I have to remain as a reserve before I can go active also how would I go about that?

Also can someone explain how not only the Montgomery GI Bill works, and NROTC...

Next question to calm my boyfriend down with the fact of having me leave and trying to remain in our relationship, how exactly does it work with military spouses? He is worried that if we would get married and would move will he get benefits and will the us military/govt. help him obtain a job?

And last but not least (please dont laugh at this) as a young women how long are we recruits permitted to take care of our hygeine needs (showers and such) while at bootcamp. I know about the hour of freetime given a night and the 4 hours given on Sundays, in that time are we permitted to get a second shower if needed or whatnot. Yes I know dumb question but just wondering...
    THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by BAUM13
    And last but not least (please dont laugh at this) as a young women how long are we recruits permitted to take care of our hygeine needs (showers and such) while at bootcamp. I know about the hour of freetime given a night and the 4 hours given on Sundays, in that time are we permitted to get a second shower if needed or whatnot. Yes I know dumb question but just wondering...
    THANKS!
    Well this is something I can speak about from personal experience. You shower once a day when they tell you to. You can not take a shower at any other time. The shower will last about 30 seconds and is solely for washing your body. You do not wash your hair in the shower. Hair washing must be done on your own free time. You really don't get an hour of free time a night. It was usually a half hour or less that we got (and they'd still find other things for us to do during that time, so we rarely got to take care of our own needs). You'll only wash your hair a couple of times a week. Make sure you wash is really well on sunday. Oh and another suggestion I have would be to get your hair trimmed a little before you go because if you don't you'll have really bad split ends that will make brushing your hair almost impossible and you'll lose a ton of hair from it getting all tangled.

1st I've known Marines (then recruits) that switched from Reserve to active while still in Bootcamp, so I don't think it takes that long...as long as there is a need for whatever your MOS is. Hopefully your family understands there is a still a very very good chance of your going to Iraq, even if you are a reservist.

2nd question...not quite sure, even though I have the MGIB.

3rd, until you and your boyfriend are married, he rates nothing. When you're married he'll be covered under Tricare. You'll sponsor him wherever you PCS and he'll be issued an ID card incase he has to go to the e-room, etc. This is all assuming you're active duty. Don't know how it works for reservists. There are programs in place to help Marine's spouses transition. You'll have to contact the local MCCS or whatever it's called.

Last, not sure how hygiene time works for female recruits...I'd guess you'd get more time than your male counterparts, but I will tell you, the male recruits get less than 5 minutes to shower, shave, and brush their chops, and showering isn't allowed during the hour squareaway time. My way around the DI's system was to shower during hygiene time and shave and brush my teeth during square away time. Whatever the case, you'll make due, millions have before you.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by BAUM13
    Hello Everyone! Ok, so I am leaving in exactly 2 weeks and every single question and concern is coming to mind all at once... If anyone can help answer some of these I would really appreciate it.

First I went to MEPS I signed to join the reserves for my families sake, i was told when I felt ready I am able to switch to active duty. Is this true? If so how long do I have to remain as a reserve before I can go active also how would I go about that?

Also can someone explain how not only the Montgomery GI Bill works, and NROTC...

Next question to calm my boyfriend down with the fact of having me leave and trying to remain in our relationship, how exactly does it work with military spouses? He is worried that if we would get married and would move will he get benefits and will the us military/govt. help him obtain a job?
    It is a challenge to augment from Reserve to active depending on your MOS. If there is a billet you can fill, it may be easy to get in. No way to tell until you're ready to do it since the needs of the Corps change constantly. The earlier you do it, the better, though. If you wait several years, you will almost certainly lose rank as you move from reserve to active.

There are many sources on the internet talking about GI Bill benefits.
    NROTC is a completely different program that has to be applied for once you've been accepted to a university.

As a Reservist, military dependents don't get anything unless you're involuntarily called to active duty. Active duty dependents are eligible for medical care.
    Job placement? Should be a Home Depot or Wal-mart close to the base.
    (personally, sounds like the boy needs to grow a pair)

The Marines here will tell you: If the Corps wanted you to have a boyfriend, they'll issue you one.

Just a couple of quick notes. If the Marine Corps wanted you to have a boy friend they would issue you one. ( Dump him now) Your life is getting ready to change or morph for lack of a better term. 85% of the Marines that marry in there first elistment end in divorce. And from what you wrote he sounds a little codependant/needy anyway. Better just to tear his hart out now than to prolong the inevetable and make him wait. As far as going active. What are you waiting for.? Just do it. As far as the girl stuff, Dont overthink the process, They will tell you everything you need to know and you will survive recruit training. Good luck

In all honesty breaking up isnt even an option... We have been together for 3+ years and he supports everything I am doing, I wouldnt leave that behind for anything in the world.... just a quick thought

Don't worry; 80% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Now, if you didn't catch the sarcasm in that, well, read a bit deeper.

There are infact many, far too many divorces in a first enlistment. Much less with the reserves, if it's not a constantly activated reserve unit, 'cuz, hell, you do your own damn civilian thing 28 days of the month.

My two cents, from a very young married guy. When you marry someone and you're in the military, if you hadn't prepped them as much as you could for everything they're going to go through and can't judge their capabilities at handling the stress that the Corps puts on a relationship -- you obviously didn't take the freakin' damn time to REALLY get to know them, now did you?

I havn't deployed yet, only been in about a year and a half, but happilly married so far as of yet in the Corps. I havn't even lived with my wife for the past 2 months, and won't for a couple more ('til I'm top of the list for housing). I see her on the weekends and probably only talk to her 20 minutes a day or so.

She complains about it mildly, casually and most of the time sarcastically, but I can tell it doesn't really bother her. She knew what she was getting into.

I made my wife think that in the Corps she'd never see me, I'd work all weekend, this, that, the other; made it sound like the most horrible thing EVER. After that, ****, she thinks it's all fun and games and that I just "got lucky" with my unit lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffner
    Don't worry; 80% of statistics are made up on the spot.
    That's quoting material!

BAUM13. Right now what you dont realize is that you will NOT be the same person after you go through boot. And HAFFNER the quote was 85% and it is probably on the light side of the real number. Good luck Kid I hope it works out.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Honey - you're going to be dropped in the middle of the biggest candy store in the world......................by the time you get done with bootcamp, you'll be wondering what you ever saw in Johnny back on the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Honey - you're going to be dropped in the middle of the biggest candy store in the world......................by the time you get done with bootcamp, you'll be wondering what you ever saw in Johnny back on the block.
    Qualified Candy Expert talking here.

Marine84. Once she has been through the change the dear John letter will be written. She just does not know it yet. Why would she subject this guy to a bunch of gun slingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Come on, that's not always true. If they've been dating for 3 years, it can work out.

Your right I was not being sensitive enough. I hope they make it.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I hope they make it.
    I hope they make it too!

Your right I was not being sensitive enough.

Sensitivity training sucks!

Thread Information