Info. about MP Training/Ft. Leonard Wood?
Create Post

Info. about MP Training/Ft. Leonard Wood?

<TABLE class=tborder id=post284997 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_284997>Hi, I posted this in another section of the forum but thought I might have more luck if I posted it in the squadbay!:

I'm about to go to MCT and after that I'm going to Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri for MP school. I was wondering if anyone who went through MP school there could tell me a little about what it is like. Also, do you live in squadbays like at boot camp, or are the barracks you live in there more like the dorm-room types where you have a roommate, a desk, wall locker, etc.? How much off-base liberty are you allowed (for example could you leave Friday and spend the weekend in St. Louis?)

Also, I'm not sure if anyone would have an answer to or know anything about this but here's my situation (I apologize if it's confusing)--I'm a reservist, and was hoping to be back in time to go back to college in January. However, I learned by looking at the MP school schedule on Ft. Leonard Wood's website that the training would be interrupted during the Christmas holidays (because it's an Army base ) and for this reason I would return home too late in January to begin college classes (The cycle of training I would be in would begin Nov. 6, 2007 and end January 25, 2008--a bit longer than the usual 9 weeks!) However, the MP school cycle before that one begins sometime in October just a couple days before my MCT ends and would end December 21, 2007. And since my recruiter told me before that they give reservists the first priority instead of making them wait around for an open slot, I wonder if they might place me in the class that begins late October and let me miss the first two days, so that I could finish it on December 21, instead of having me wait around for almost two weeks for the next one to begin? Has anyone heard of this happening or is familiar with the way things work at MP school?

My mom also heard from another lady whose son was a reservist Marine and went to MP school that when he went through it, they didn't make them come back to finish it after the Christmas "exodus", so he only did 5 or 6 weeks instead of the full 9 weeks of training (I assume they just crammed all the stuff he needed to know into those weeks).

I know this is a complicated post but if anyone is familiar with this sort of thing or can answer any part of my post I'd be most appreciative. Semper Fi!
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2> </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ok first I checked your stats. You entered the Marine Corps in 06 and you are just now going to MCT. Does not sound normal. After boot camp you get 10 days leave. When did you graduate from PI

I just recently graduated boot camp. I entered the DEP in '06. So technically I did enter the Marine Corps in '06.

When you graduated from boot camp your reward was the title you were given 'Marine'. Not in DEP Hmm Did you get a pay check while you were in DEP?

I didn't say I became a Marine in the DEP. I said I entered the Marine Corps in 2006. When you sign the contract, you have entered the military & the Marine Corps even though you are not a Marine yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus
    I didn't say I became a Marine in the DEP. I said I entered the Marine Corps in 2006. When you sign the contract, you have entered the military & the Marine Corps even though you are not a Marine yet.
    ...Not to start a whole argument here...But just to let you know, that is wrong. Your DEP contract is garbage. There is nothing in that contract that is binding, you can sign that contract and decide not to get on the plane and absolutely nothing will happen to you. It's just there to give kids the impression that they can no longer back out, and so the Marine Corps can get an idea of what their numbers are going to look like. That's why you have to sign a brand new contract the day before you ship out for boot camp...because that one is real. Same thing in boot camp. Technically you are allowed to quit without any consequences. They'll try and talk you out of it, but that's all that they can do. You quit boot, you'll just get an administrative separation and you'll be on your way.

Have fun being an MP. If you're not a rock then you'll have some good MP friends...otherwise you won't have to many. Not to many of us in the fleet love MP's to much. Not unless we're just trying to get somebody on the inside.

Nice comment covey rider. To answer your question Angelus, I went to MP school at Ft. McClellan, Al. There we lived in a squad bay. One you start school, your libbo is usually on sat. that is unless your in the field. Once you start training, the last thing your going to be worried about is where your spending the weekend.

Some of my best friends were MPs, so I'm not going to make any out of the way comments. I will say that I agree with everyone else, you entered the Marine Corps when you went to boot camp, not when you entered the DEP.

Thread Information