USS Sanctuary
Create Post

Thread: USS Sanctuary

USS Sanctuary

In April of 1969 I was medivaced to the Hospital Ship Sanctuary. She was cruising in the South China Sea a few miles off of Da Nang at the time. I spent about 8 days aboard her before being sent to an Army convalescence center down south. She was an old tub back then since she served during the latter part of WWII. Just recently I decided to google her name on the internet figuring long ago that she was melted down into Toyotas and Mitsubichis. Lo and behold, the old tub is still afloat but probably not for long. There are many pictures of her in the Internet from her heyday to where she lays idle now in Phildelphia. One of her web sites indicated she was sold at auction in August of 2007 for $50,000. It's ironic that her sale price of $50,000 could be the sticker price for just one of those foreign luxury cars. She served me well when I needed her the most. I'm sure some of you out there from WWII, Korea and Nam graced her sickbay as well. I remember leaving her aboard a chopper and taking a picture of her gleaming white paint job and the huge red cross amidships. I still look at that photo from time to time. I suggest you check her out while you can.

USS Sanctuary

I was on the Sanctuary also in April 1969. I was from Alpha 1/7. Who were you with?

I got to 1/7 in April 1970. I started with 3/4 at the DMZ (Dong Ha) in Sept. 1969 and went to 2/26 in November of 1969. My last 6 months were with 1/7. I got medivaced to the Sanctuary in May 1970. There is another great web site, "Together we served" It's got a great search section to find other Marine buddies. I've got lots of photos from my tour in my profile, some from 1/7 at LZ Baldy. If you access the site, you can have 10 free days of access once you put in a profile.

Semper FI buddy

Hank Picariello

Quote Originally Posted by thekid55 View Post
    I was on the Sanctuary also in April 1969. I was from Alpha 1/7. Who were you with?

My bad Bro. I should have said I got on the Sanctuary in May of 70. I didn't get in country until Sept. 69. I tried to attach a photo I had taken of me when I was aboard ship. I had malaria and spent another month in an Army hospital in Cam Rahn Bay before going back to 1/7. In March or April of 70 1/7 was stationed on LZ Baldy south west of Da Nang. Maybe you filled some of those bunker sandbags. Thanks. Maybe we walked the same ground.

Semper FI

PIC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg‎
Views:	258
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	8868  

I was medivaced to the Sanctuary in June 1968.
    Check out this website:

http://www.hullnumber.com/AH-17

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I was medivaced to the Sanctuary in June 1968.
    Check out this website:

http://www.hullnumber.com/AH-17
    Welcome home Bro. I checked out your profile in Together we Served. Some nice photos of stateside skivy girls in there. I see you also had in-country Vietnamese language training. I attended the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA before going to Nam. I went back two years ago with another Scout/Sniper I served with. Sometimes you have to go back before you can go forward.

Semper FI

Hank Picariello

Thread Information