Mos 2111
Create Post

Thread: Mos 2111

Mos 2111

Did a few forums searches and found a few topics but none that really explained what I wanted to know.

I've been told different things,some say you sit in the armory all day,work incredibly long hours and it's very boring with alot of paperwork.

others say it's exciting if your deployed with an infantry platoon,as you MAY be able to participate in patrols and fix the grunts weapons.If deployed with an H+S company your sitting in the armory all day.

Just wondering if there are any armorers on here that can tell me there personal experiences and if they could clear up any misconceptions mentioned above.

Well I'm not an armorer, but I have a bunch of buddies who are. Their day to day expierence has been crazy working hours, and lots of sitting around fixing broken weapons.

An armorer has to come in (when not deployed) whenever there is a group of Marines checking out weapons. So, in their case, say a platoon is checking out weapons at 0300 for an excercise for whatever..the armorer has to get in before they show up to open up the armory, and do everything that goes into that. Then, once all the weapons are done being issued, he has to close down the armory, which involves a site count (basically counting all the weapons) to ensure proper accountabilty..because God help you if you lose one... so you, if your lucky get out at about 0500, can go home for a couple of hours to turn around and get back to work at 0700.

Once you get deployed all bets are off because while you primaraly fix weapons, you also help out where needed, i.e. patrols, security, ect.

At least this is what my expierence has been like with my armorer buddies. Actual armorers may have had different expierences, so take what I say with a grain of salt as I'm an outsider looking in, in this situation.

A friend of mine was a mortarman with 2/1. When he got out he went into the reserve and then ended up going back on active duty with the reserve unit as an armorer. He seemed to like the job.

If I'd done more research before I enlisted, that is what I would have wanted to do. With a grunt unit what DIBLO7 says is probably very true. But, you could just as easily be with any other unit out there. If you were the armorer for my unit you'd have usually worked 0730 to 1630 or so. When we had people on the range they'd have to be there at 0400 or so, but then that person would get off at 1130 and one of the other armorers would do it alone in the afternoon. They were not on the duty roster, so that kept them from having to deal with any of that stuff.

On a daily basis they didn't have to do much. They'd fix any weapons that had problems, clean stock weapons, and pretty much relax. They'd do 2 or 3 counts each day- hand weapons out to anyone that came in to clean them- and other than that they were pretty much on their own.

I was a armory in 74 to 80 deployed and non-deployed. I enjoyed the time I worked in company and also H&S and they both have there moment's. You have good days and bad days but you get to to work with all the members of that unit officer on down. You have to clean and maintain all the weapons that are not issued but that is usually very few. It can be a easy job if you just maintain and not slack off.
    I had a great time on Wes packs.

this is some good insight,thanks guys!

not so much the long hours that worry me,it's the paperwork

There is paperwork to be done with most jobs. You have to account for gear and platoon equipment, have proof that all PM checks have been done, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar5812 View Post
    Did a few forums searches and found a few topics but none that really explained what I wanted to know.

I've been told different things,some say you sit in the armory all day,work incredibly long hours and it's very boring with alot of paperwork.

others say it's exciting if your deployed with an infantry platoon,as you MAY be able to participate in patrols and fix the grunts weapons.If deployed with an H+S company your sitting in the armory all day.

Just wondering if there are any armorers on here that can tell me there personal experiences and if they could clear up any misconceptions mentioned above.
    There are no misconceptions above. It depends on where you go. Each unit is different. I was in for ten years and every unit was different. What's exciting to you may not be for another. That's part of the challenge of being a Marine. Each unit has it's own unique experience. Yours will be what you make of it. Just enjoy what you do and make the most of it. Being a Marine is not a cookie cutter thing. It varies per person.

Wow...until today, this thread hasn't been posted in in about 2 and a half years.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Wow...until today, this thread hasn't been posted in in about 2 and a half years.
    I guess I wasn't paying attention. I just saw the thread and answered. I must be the only 2111 who reads this. Am I alone?

Quote Originally Posted by elliscraig12 View Post
    I guess I wasn't paying attention. I just saw the thread and answered. I must be the only 2111 who reads this. Am I alone?
    Nope 2111 here ............Loved that MOS.........

Thinking about re-enlisting as an armorer (was 0811 arty) and just curious how long MOS school is...

Thread Information