Lance Corporal underground rumor clarification... re: Jump Wings
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lance Corporal underground rumor clarification... re: Jump Wings

I heard a rumor through the Lance Corporal underground that if you go to a certified civilian skydiving place and complete 6 jumps and inform the Marine Corps about it, they'll enter it into your SRB and you'll rate to wear jump wings.

Is this true or just another LCpl underground rumor with no merit whatsoever?

Not true. Civilian diving and military diving are two different animals completely.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The good Lt. is very correct. I was a civilian skydiver while in the Marines and that is all I was as far as the Corps was concerned.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ps... cleanout your mailbox, Lt, Sorry for the interuption, Marines. On a note of reality,,, Who the He!! would jump out of a perfectly excellent airplane?... Beats me. [ last time I jumped was on my wedding nite,, and that was a crash ;>

Civilian ...jump wings....that should have told you something right there. Very little that you did as a civilian before coming into the Corps will be recognized by the Corps for promotion or certification.

With apologies to the cast of Jaws especially Capt. Quig or whatever his name was. " Airplane goes up in the air, I go up in the airplane. Airplane stays in the air, I jump outta the airplane...Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish Maidens, farewell and adieu you young ladies of Spain.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm with you Sparkie - who WANTS to jump out of a perfectly good (working) airplane?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Accord
    I heard a rumor through the Lance Corporal underground that if you go to a certified civilian skydiving place and complete 6 jumps and inform the Marine Corps about it, they'll enter it into your SRB and you'll rate to wear jump wings.

Is this true or just another LCpl underground rumor with no merit whatsoever?
    Bum Scoop. Be sure to double check with some old salts the next time them Lance Gods chirp up.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    I'm with you Sparkie - who WANTS to jump out of a perfectly good (working) airplane?
    Nothing wrong with parachuting. It's the same rush as in rappelling, just magnified.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'v rapelled outta a 47 before,, But Never let go of the rope,,,BIG difference.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    The other rumor that may float around if you happen to be stationed in a few exotic bases close to a tidal basin or sea....CLNC San Diego,Hawaii, Okinawa and all the other finer vacation paradises.

That is if you get civilian scuba certification (PADI ect.) that you would be able to wear the scuba award.............wrong answer. The underground and below will tell you yeah...but if you ask the above you'll just walk away with your blowfish wet.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Had a good friend In San Diego, who loved being a pilot. One day he flat quit his job flying jumpers down at Brown Field. When I questioned him about it he just said "I bounced one" Worries me a little,,, Hurt him a lot. I know it's not that dangerous, Just bringing up a memory.

I'm one of those bright lads who did, in fact, fall out of a perfectly good "aeroplane". Because, quite simply, there is no 'jumping' to be had! LOL.

Anyway...

No, the rumors are just that, total BS. The Corps ain't gonna give you a qualification badge unless you complete the military school. Ya gotta go to Benning to get those little lead sleds, laddie!

I do understand tho, that this is being offered as a re-enlistment incentive, so all is not lost.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    I do understand tho, that this is being offered as a re-enlistment incentive, so all is not lost.
    Jump out of an airplane and we'll let you re-enlist? Thats something only a Jarhead would go for! Sign me up.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Shoot me,,Shoot me,,I'm a Marine!

Thread Information