History Question........ - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 118 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Copy that Blooper! It always seemed a little far fetched to me, but I too believed the lore until I read it myself on Snopes. It is still a truck to me.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    It is still a truck to me.
    Me too...I have always wondered though...how the hell ya get up the pole.

You hook the lanyard to your shirt and hoist yourself up the poll I assume.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Who were the CMC's to be awarded the Medal of Honor? *Bonus: Name the General Officer to be awarded the MOH, for actions performed as a General Officer.

Credits
    Savings
    Very creative E4B!

I always figured I'd have to knock the pole over with a vehicle to get the .45 from the base and complete the mission. I also thought I would use the round in the truck to fight til my last dying breath. Now, where's those Hummer keys at?????

Credits
    Savings
    Allright Blooper, since no one else is playing....

Part 2 is General Douglas MacArthur, who is the son of another MOH recipient, 1st Lt Arthur MacArthur. However General Theodore Roosevelt Jr was awarded the MOH posthumously 46 years after earning it at Normandy as a general officer. Coincidentally, Roosevelts father (also Theodore ) was awarded his MOH as well, 82 years posthumously. That makes two General Officers ( Army ) and both were sons of MOH recipients. Check my facts - I'm not a historian.

Part 1 - still looking it up. I'm up to 3 so far....

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Chumley, you are correct on your Army history however in my original bonus question I should have clarified and stated Marine Corps Generals.

1st part.....

Maj. Gen. Wendell Neville, Gen. Alexander Vandegrift, Gen. David Shoup, and Gen. Louis Wilson were the only 4 Commandants to be awarded the medal of honor.

Bonus ?

General Vandergrift was the USMC General to earn the MOH due to actions as a General Officer. The citation reads... Rank and organization: Major General, U.S. Marine Corps, commanding officer of the 1st Marine Division. Place and date: Solomon Islands, 7 August to 9 December 1942. Entered service at: Virginia. Born: 13 March 1887, Charlottesville, Va. Citation: For outstanding and heroic accomplishment above and beyond the call of duty as commanding officer of the 1st Marine Division in operations against enemy Japanese forces in the Solomon Islands during the period 7 August to 9 December 1942. With the adverse factors of weather, terrain, and disease making his task a difficult and hazardous undertaking, and with his command eventually including sea, land, and air forces of Army, Navy, and Marine Corps, Maj. Gen. Vandegrift achieved marked success in commanding the initial landings of the U.S. forces in the Solomon Islands and in their subsequent occupation. His tenacity, courage, and resourcefulness prevailed against a strong, determined, and experienced enemy, and the gallant fighting spirit of the men under his inspiring leadership enabled them to withstand aerial, land, and sea bombardment, to surmount all obstacles, and leave a disorganized and ravaged enemy. This dangerous but vital mission, accomplished at the constant risk of his life, resulted in securing a valuable base for further operations of our forces against the enemy, and its successful completion reflects great credit upon Maj. Gen. Vandegrift, his command, and the U.S. Naval Service.

Cpl. That last one gots me and google all beat. What a tough one.

Credits
    Savings
    Blooper - thank you for this info! I Googled a lot too. At one point I ASSUMED that you were looking for an USMC answer, but I did not find USMC answers so I offered the info I was able to find. Where did you find the CMC's and MOH lists cross referenced? Thanks SSgt!!! Keep 'em coming.

Got anymore trivia questions Cpl?

Credits
    Savings
    Comin atchya - "Hurricane" is appropriate to the way you are all over this trivia and knowledge.

The dress blue trousers for NCO's and above are different from the E1-E3 ranks. Whats the difference, and what's the history ( in brief summary please )??

Also, please refer to me as Chumley or Cpl Chumley - I'm fine with either, but there are many (former) Corporals online here. Thanks RJ!

(First one to answer correctly before RJ earns the right to do push-ups until I get tired)

E-1-E3 don't wear the blood stripe on the trousers.

Officers and NCOs wear the blood stripe is in memorance of The Battle of Chapultepec during the Mexican American War.
    The reason only officer and NCO rate to wear them is that because 35 out of the 39 killed in the battle were Officers and NCOs.

The way I came about the name Hurricane is the style of play I did when I was an all-star Baseball player. i was nicknamed Hurricane because I was described as a Natural Disaster.

Credits
    Savings
    Very good RJ - Since noone beat you with the correct answer, YOU get the push-ups Oooorah!

A Drill instructor wears a cover known informally as a smokey bear. What's the proper name, and when was it introduced as part of a DI's uniform?

RJ - Are all the other poolies slackers, or are you just too fast?

It's called a Campain Cover.

It was first used in 1956.

Female DI's began wearing them in 1996.

Credits
    Savings
    "Campaign" - proper spelling!

Excellent!
    I'll do some pushups too!!!!

Thread Information