History Question........ - Page 118
Create Post
Page 118 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118
Results 1,756 to 1,765 of 1765
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Outstanding!!!
    It is getting harder to challenge you future devil dogs with knowlege. That was an excellent answer.
    Thank you Sir ! It just so happens that I am also reading " "I'm staying with my boys..." The heroic life of Sgt. John Basilone" and I just made it to the part where the 1/7 deploys to Guadalcanal .

Credits
    Savings
    Some of our rifle companies also had digital (MARPAT) guidons, though we (3/5) rarely used them. Also saw them with a Bn from 7th Marines...

Couldn't find a picture though...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Some how I had a feeling there might be other guidons out there that don't fit the mold. I was only thinking of the suicide charley one though. The only one I know of that is authorized by CMC. Watch 7th Marines hump by in 29 palms on a day hot enough to fry an egg in the palm or your hand and that guidon is pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes40138 View Post
    Thank you Sir ! It just so happens that I am also reading " "I'm staying with my boys..." The heroic life of Sgt. John Basilone" and I just made it to the part where the 1/7 deploys to Guadalcanal .
    You may be interested in the new WWII HBO special that follows Basilone and 2 other Marines through the Pacific. See: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=84348

I have a question regarding the history of the USMC. Do ribbons and there significance fall in under this? Or, should learning about ribbons be low priority?

Depends. What are you trying to learn/know?

I have been piddling with learning the ribbons and have recently thought that maybe I should take more interest in them. I have learned everything that I've been told I needed for boot camp. I want to know more. Then I started thinking that ribbons could be tied to history and I need to learn them before things such as trying to learn all the acronyms, UCMJ, and things such as this.

UCMJ is just so long that I think I should learn the shorter things before becoming somewhat familiar with it.

Ribbons should come after acronyms and UCMJ. The ribbons are tied to history, but it's more important to learn the former first and the ribbons later. Nothing wrong with adding them to your 'knowledge base' but they should be secondary to the other. Rank structure is also more important than ribbons at this point.

Thank you Sergeant. I already have the ranking structure down. Still working on being able to see the enlisted chevron and hastily tell rank without having to count strips and then go through the ranking structure... The officer rank insignia is easier for me to put rank with it fast seems like.

private
    private first class
    lance corporal
    corporal
    sergeant
    staff sergeant
    gunnery sergeant
    master sergeant
    first sergeant
    sergeant major
    sergeant major of the Marine Corps/ band

warrant officer 1
    chief warrant officer 2-5

second lieutenant
    first lieutenant
    captain
    major
    lieutenant colonel
    colonel

brigadier general- Be
    major general- My
    lieutenant general- Little
    general- General

Of course Master Gunnery Sergeant is an e-9 rank and I happened to skip it for some reason

I said it in my head, just didn't type it.

Thread Information