History Question........
Create Post
Page 1 of 118 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

History Question........

What is the current name of Naval Station Port Royal SC?

You know, the last time I was there... the old Naval Station Brig was still standing on the original site.

Good trivia question

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    you want USMCAS, Beauford, Or MCRD, PI?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Your getting close Sparkie...but,I would like a poolee or wannabe to answer this.

1. MCRD P.I.
    2. Naval Hospital Beaufort
    3. Marine Corps Air Station Beafort.

I'm guessing #3.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    1 January 1909- The designation Marine Barracks became Marine Officers’ School, U.S. Naval Station, Port Royal, South Carolina, with the purpose of indoctrinating newly commissioned officers. 1 June 1911- A recruit depot began operation at Port Royal on a three-company basis as a secondary function of the Marine Officers’ School, after it had been postponed from its’ original start up date of November 1910. 30 August 1911- October 1915- The Marine Officers’ School and two recruit companies transferred to Norfolk, Virginia, after the Department of the Navy decided to use Port Royal for a disciplinary installation. 25 October 1915- The recruit depot separated from the Officers’ School and returned to Port Royal. It was established as Marine Barracks, Port Royal, South Carolina, with the principle mission of training Marine recruits. Three days later, the Navy transferred the land and buildings to the Marine Corps.

See when Sgt. Sparkie hinted MCRD P.I. it kind of threw me off, as I thought that he had answered it wrong.

Good quesiton, and SSgt. please keep these coming.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Port Royal,SC name was changed to Parris Island,SC for mail delivery purposes.There is still a town of Port Royal located outside Parris Island bordering the neighbor city Beaufort which is home to the MCAS Beaufort,SC.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    What historical signifigance is th Canton Bell to the United States Marine Corps ?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    And I'm not allowed to answer, Right? Can I at least lead them astray?

How about this?

When was Parris Island known as "Paris Island" ... and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei
    How about this?

Mispelled by many?

What kind of Mustang you talking about in your sig? I'm an f-body man myself, so I'd hate to have to race you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper
    What historical signifigance is th Canton Bell to the United States Marine Corps ?
    The Canton Bell
    At the Marine Corps Historical Center hangs a weathered bronze Chinese bell-the "Canton Bell"-cherished gift from the Royal Marines. This bell was taken by "the Royals" after storming the Canton Forts in South China in 1856 and for years occupied a place of honor in the Royal Marines Officers's mess at Chatham. When Chatham Barracks was decommissioned after World War II, the officers of the mess voted to present their tropy to the U.S. Marines as a symbol of the comradeship between the two Corps during the Canton Forts attack and later.

Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei
    How about this?

Sir. I don't think it ever was called Paris Island. If you type in goolge or yahoo. You only get Parris Island result.

I'm confused if your tricking us, or that part of history is buried deep inside the fleet.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Musta been when all the DIs got together on Saturday nites and practiced the Can Can.

Thread Information