MOS help, about MOS 7257 or 7251
Create Post

MOS help, about MOS 7257 or 7251

HI, I ship on Nov. 5, I am interested in choosing MOS 7251, Air Traffic Controller Trainee, to be a MOS 7257, Air Traffic Controller in Aviation Operations.... I scored a 84 on the ASVAB and a 116 on the other parts.... I had my local recruiter send a request for Aviation Operations a month ago. But the request never came back. So my local recruiter is suggesting that I pick another MOS. My local recruiter says that it's better for me to pick a job now, but all the good jobs are pretty much taking. But I am really interested in becoming an Air Traffic Controller. And I don't want to be forced to pick another MOS, that I am not interested in.

1) A recruiter in another state, said that I will be highly likely to get this MOS if I wait until the week of OCT 1. to pick my job. The other recruiter says that most jobs open up because this is the start of the new fiscal year. But My local recruiter says that it doesn't matter if I wait, but I don't believe that. Should I wait until OCT 1. or what?

2) The other recruiter also said that I should say to my local recruiter that I won't ship unless I get in my MOS field if I really want this MOS, is this a move that will work to get the job?

3) Has anyone here been an Air Traffic Controller in the Marines, how likely am I to get this MOS?

I am a 7257.

First off before everyone else tells you this, create a profile, its a requirement to post on these forums.

I cant really help you too much on the whole contract thing, thats something you have to work out with your recruiter. A lot of people on here will tell you a lot of different things on how to get a job you want, but when it all comes down to it the needs of the Marine Corps is the end all. You can pull every string on the puppett all day long but if the Marine Corps dosent need any of that field your outta luck. I lucked out and didnt have to do any weird **** to get this MOS, I told my recruiter this is what I wanted and a few weeks later he had the contract on his desk ready to sign. This was August '05 and I imagine things have changed.

As far as the job, its the best in the Marine Corps. I am a little biased but then again if you see all the little perks we get most people will agree. We have a very complicated job that has no room for error and that get noticed by the higer ups. The United States military is the only one in the world that lets enlisted personel be ATC, every other nation only lets commissioned officers do this job. I am a 19 year old Lance Corporal and I am giving instructions to pilots who out rank me considerably. Everyday millions of dollars worth of equipment and hundreds of priceless lives zoom through the air relying only on my word to get them where they want to go safely and effeciently. Dont think for a secnd I am over hyping what I do, this isnt like most jobs in the Marine Corps, where LCpl's and below end up swabbing the deck most of the day or doing other boring taskes while the NCO's and SNCO's do all the fun stuff. Every memeber on an ATC crew is important and one CAN NOT do there job with out the others. When someone is missing no one else can pick up the slack becasue everyone is already working at the highest level possible. It a great job if your looking for something that will always keep you busy and on your toes becasue no two days are alike. What happend today isnt what happened yesterday and its not going to happen tommorow. You always have to be on your A game because there is no such thing as a bad day in ATC. When you have a bad day in ATC, people die. Well anyways, I could go on for days about this job but Im going to stop now. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

A few questions

1) When you signed the contract was it for MOS 7251 or was it just for Aviation Operation, and later you were assigned as a ATC Trainee?

2) Is there any downfalls to your MOS, and where are you stationed?

3) Do you plan on working in the civilian world as a ATC, and if so would it be better to work for the FAA or Department of Defense?

4) If you do get out, will the FAA automatically hire you because of your certification and training, or will you have to go to the training school in Oklahoma? Would you make the same as someone with 5 years of experience or a new ATC out of Oklahoma?

YOU WERE TOLD TO COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE. DO IT NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by PooleeDEP
    1) When you signed the contract was it for MOS 7251 or was it just for Aviation Operation, and later you were assigned as a ATC Trainee?
    I signed an "AJ" Aviation Operations contract. If I remember correctly that is ATC, Weather, UAV's and ASOO. I found out at MCT that I got ATC.

2) Is there any downfalls to your MOS, and where are you stationed?
    Downfalls, I aint going to lie to you, its a tough job. Most people cant handle it and we frequesntly revocate people. Thats just Marine Corps jargon for we kick them out of our MOS. Its one of the few MOS's that will actually put you into a new MOS if you cant handle the assignments. I am stationed at MCAS Cherry Point in eastern NC about an hour north of Camp Lejeune.

3) Do you plan on working in the civilian world as a ATC, and if so would it be better to work for the FAA or Department of Defense?
    Im not sure if I want to do ATC when I get out, its a fun job but there other stuff in life I want to pursue. Out of the FAA or DoD, the DoD is definanlty the better route to go. The FAA right now is in the process of cutting ATC pay drastically, the $80k/year starting we were told about has been cut down to about $35k/year and sinking. On top of that there being forced to use out dated equipment and work 10 hour days 6 days a week. On top of all that the national airspace is becoming more congested with the airlines adding flights out the wazoo. The DoD controllers are mostly(if not all) retired military, and I think there all GS-12's and GS-13's. I dont know exactly how much that is but I know right nos its helluva lot more than the FAA is paying and its not being cut. Im pretty sure its 6 figures a year.

4) If you do get out, will the FAA automatically hire you because of your certification and training, or will you have to go to the training school in Oklahoma? Would you make the same as someone with 5 years of experience or a new ATC out of Oklahoma?
    When you get out of the military, if you didnt gaff off all five years of your enlistment and you got an approach control certification or a local/tower supervisor cert then you are definantly hireable by the FAA. If you have both you look better and if you have multiple cert then your golden. Im not sure how the military to FAA transition works, but I am fairly certain you dont have to go to the academy in OKC. If you do its definanly not going to be for the whole program becasue, well, your already an ATC maybe a military to FAA transition course or something.

Oh yeah fill out your frikken profile!

Thread Information