Strength and Honor
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Angry Strength and Honor

The Marine Corps is going to be my military branch of choosing after high school and mission. I've read into the Marines alot, and it seems like the best way to go. I'm not weak, but I am fat. I can run the 1.5 mi in about 22 min and can do 56 crunches in two minutes. I'm getting there but hey, it's only my junior year. Anyway, I have alot of respect for you Marines. I hope one day I'll be able to get over my weaknesses (pain is weakness leaving the body- I read that somewhere...) and quit being so **** green. What do you vets have for me in the way of words of wisdom/encouragement? What's the USMC's rules on tattoos?

1 PART BRAIN, 2 PARTS SOUL, 3 PARTS BODY=MARINE IN FULL

Thanks!
    Semper Fi.

Lightbulb

So is it okay if I get an EGA on my back-left shoulder blade?

Why are you worried about it now? You aren't even a Poolee yet and its the last thing you should be worried about.

As far as the rule states though, it shouldn't be a problem, however I have been told that all tattoos need to be approved by your unit command or someone to that extent. Who knows where the rules will stand later on down the road.

First worry about PTing your butt off.

Also, I wouldn't recomend getting any Marine Corps tattoos BEFORE you earn the title.

Mike

Okay

Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb
    Also, I wouldn't recomend getting any Marine Corps tattoos BEFORE you earn the title.
    Yeah, that would be a really bad choice.

If you get a Marine Corps tattoo before you earn the title of Marine you're setting yourself up to get killed in boot camp.

It is actually a bad idea to get any tattoo. We have one member here that had tattoos that would not have been any problem. But, they changed the rules shortly before he was ready to enlist, and that kept him out. There is no promise that they won't change the rules again.

If I'm not mistaken all tattoos must be approved [as said before]
    And they cannot show when in your PTs [Shorts and T-shirt]
    Pretty much- No forearms or legs.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyballek
    If I'm not mistaken all tattoos must be approved [as said before]
    And they cannot show when in your PTs [Shorts and T-shirt]
    Pretty much- No forearms or legs.
    The rule seems to mainly apply to 1/4, 1/2, and full sleeves on the arms or legs. At this point they are not waiverable at all. A single tattoo that can be covered by a hand (o the part exposed outside of PT gear) is able to be processed for a waiver but there is no promise it will be passed. I was able to get my forearm and inside bicep waived in, which both are exposed in PT gear. Its all in how the rule is interpretted and by whom.

This is what I was told by the liason at MEPs and a few other Marines. They also said the new rule doesn't prevent Marines from getting new tattoos, as long as they fall within the guidelines, but that they will have to be documented and approved by a CO before and after and pictures must be in your file.

Hey, I know especially as of late I come off a little harsh on this forum, but it's apparent what you REALLY need to work on is your physical fitness.

No more tattoos, if you even have any yet.
    22 minutes for a mile and a half...I guarantee your ass theres something TERRIBLY wrong with your running technique. I know nothing about you at all, besides that. There's some fundamental you must be missing out on -- without knowing you I KNOW you can do better than that. You want to at LEAST get yourself to 11-12 minutes MAX for that 1.5 mile. Find a highschool buddy (or make one if not applicable) on the track or cross country team (or even that coach) and have him examine your stride, your breathing, etc etc.

I guarantee you you could knock minutes off of that 22 easy. And when you do, that'll motivate the ever living crap out of you. So DO IT! You wanna be a Marine -- you better get your rear in gear.

You're lucky -- you've figured out you wanna be a Marine in junior year of high school. I didn't figure that out til a few years later. You have so much time to better yourself. START NOW! And good luck.

Angry

Thanks, Haffner. Here's some more info on my phys:

Hght: 5'10"
    Wght: 280lbs
    Rch: 25in
    Bench: 200lbs
    1.5mi: 22min
    Toxi: No drugs, alcohol, tobacco... EVER.
    Soda?: 5-10/week (12oz cans Dt Coke)
    Exercise: 14hrs/wk
    Sports?: Football-casual, boxing-casual
    Hereditary: History of diabetes, heart disease, cancer.
    Current: none
    Allergies: none
    Breath hold: 2min9sec
    Swim: yes (but I don't because I have stretchmarks on my belly and tits-- yes, I do have tits-- and I'm a guy)
    Disease (STD or other): none
    Surgery: ingui hern (age 1), gall bladder removal (age 13)
    TV watch/week: 10 hours
    Videogames: no (occasional Xbox)
    Tattoos: none
    Bed/rise: 8:30PM, 6AM

What can you deduce from that?

I can deduce that you're on the right track, but you need to push harder! Everyone, almost everyone, is in this bubble. They don't know how to push out of it. Some people can expand the ****TTTTTTTTTTT out of it, but not quite push out of it...that bubble is your comfort zone. Break it!

Take it to a new level. If your'e running and your stomach starts hurting...good! Dont' dare slow down, keep that pace! Means you're doing some good ****. If you throw up, freakin' awesome! That means you were really putting out. Quick pat on your back and start running again.

I have never been overweight, so I'm not the best of help on that. But I will say one thing. Hit your pullups freakin' really hard, constantly from the weight you are now until you hit your goal weight. Just imagine getting 10 pullups at 280 how easy it'd be to get 20 or even MORE at 210ish.

Just remember...every time you think you're pushing your hardest, you can push harder. Just imagine a lil' LCpl. Haffner on your shoulder saying, "Hey, F@cker, I know you got more than that in your! SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT! DON'T LET ME DOWN!"

Stop drinking soda. Stop watching TV. Stop playing video games.

PT. Run, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, Run. Run. Run.

Yea the tattoo on my right arm definately shows in PT gear like serious but its just above my elbow so it will not show in uniform so it is waiverable. Just like one of my friends she has a tattoo on her neck which is not allowed according to policy. But it shows in PT gear but is covered in uniform so it was waiverable.

Thread Information