Who was your Commandant? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Takes some cajones to blatently ask the Commandant for a promotion in front of the world. Guess that's why they say it "doesn't hurt to ask".

Shoup was mine, but by god, I wish I could have had Ollie as one!

Thumbs up My first Commandant

Life as I know it started in Nov. 1967 at PISC with:

General Leonard F. Chapman

followed by:
    General R.E. Cushman,
    General L.H. Wilson,
    General R.H. Barrow,
    General P.X. Kelley,
    General A.M. Gray

Who Was Your Commandant

General Paul X. "PX" Kelley

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Generals Barrow, PX Kelley, Fighting Al Gray!

"We got LTs worried about taking the right education courses so they can become Commandant. We are going to be the smartest bunch that ever got run off a hill!" - General Al Gray

Soon after MCT was instituted at the School Infantry to train all non Combat Arms Marines.

Last edited by yellowwing; 09-21-07 at 07:07 PM.

Served 11/75-11/78
    CMC Gen. Louis H Wilson . met CMC in June of 77 CLNC at HQ BN 2nd MAR Div. When they changed messhalls to dining facilities, did not make the food taste any beter!

Shepard, Pate and Shoup.

Don't remember much about Shepard.

In his book, "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep", without mentioning any names, Gregory "Pappy" Boyington goes on a rant about a particular Marine General who sat on his butt in DC playing politics to further his own career instead of taking part in WWII. No names mentioned, but when Pate became Commandant, the description sure fit. Pate also brought about the "Squad Drill" in place of the LPM for troop and stomp. Everyone hated it. It was mostly organized confusion.

Shoup's first official act as Commandant was to dump the Squad Drill and re-instate the LPM. He also effectively outlawed swagger sticks two weeks after I bought mine. Shoup also lost me when he put out a memo stating that in the Staff NCO ranks, married men would be selected for promotion over single men. I was reveling in bachlorhood at the time and wasn't about to cut my throat over the first barfly broad that came along just so the record would show I was married. My hitch ended, so I said to hell with it. I was working in a highly critical tertiary MOS at the time, and I've often wondered how many other highly trained, highly specialized, but unmarried Staff NCO's took the same route.

General Charles C. Krulak 1995-1999

General Krulak visited Parris Island to observe Recruits on the Crucible at the same time my series was graduating. The General attended our graduation and I was honored to be one of the few new Marines who got to meet him personally and shake his hand. General Krulak congratulated me on completing Boot Camp and then my Dad for having a fine Marine daughter. It was one of the proudest and best moments of my life.

Gen Mundy And Gen Krulak-met Gen Krulak At Nco Symposium-impressive Man-never Seen Someone With That Kind Of Energy-he Was Like A Fireplug-all Over The Place Barking And Ooooraaaahhhing-dont See Many Officers Like That And Certainly Not General Officers

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Gen.Chapman

Gen Lemuel Shepard Jr.
    Gen Randolph Pate
    Gen David Shoup
    Gen Wallace Green Jr.
    Gen Leonard Chapman Jr.
    Gen Robert Cushman Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by CPLCLINK
    Gen Mundy And Gen Krulak-met Gen Krulak At Nco Symposium-impressive Man-never Seen Someone With That Kind Of Energy-he Was Like A Fireplug-all Over The Place Barking And Ooooraaaahhhing-dont See Many Officers Like That And Certainly Not General Officers
    If you think he was like a Fireplug, you should have seen his father.

Gen Victor Krulak used to be the CO at MCRD, San Diego and as a Drill Instructor you really had to be carefull when you went to the yellow footprints to pick up your new herd of Privates. He would have his utilities on and pull his cover down over his eyes and fall in with the herd and you better be damn careful of what you said to the pvts. All Drill Instructors satyed on their toes during those days.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    What a General!

General Shoup, what a warrior.

Last edited by yellowwing; 09-22-07 at 09:49 AM.

20Lemuel C. Shepherd, Jr. 1952-1955
    21Randolph M. Pate 1956-1959
    22David M. Shoup 1960-1963
    23Wallace M. Greene, Jr. 1964-1967
    24Leonard F. Chapman, Jr. 1968-1971
    25Robert E. Cushman, Jr. 1972-1975

I served from Nov 68 to Feb 77

sooooo...

Leonard F. Chapman, Jr. 1968-1971
    Robert E. Cushman, Jr. 1972-1975
    Louis H. Wilson, Jr. 1975-1979

Thread Information