Commander in Chief addresses TBS officers about Iraq issues, “return on success”
Create Post

Thumbs up Commander in Chief addresses TBS officers about Iraq issues, “return on success”

The day after he addressed the nation about the withdrawal of troops from Iraq, President George W. Bush ate with and talked to Marines at The Basic School at Marine Corps Base Quantico, to explain their role in bringing troops home and his acceptance of the Petraeus Plan.

The commander in chief also expressed his appreciation to the officers for volunteering their service in a time of war, and asked them to encourage and inspire their Marines to see the War on Terror to the end.

“It's my honor to come to Quantico to speak to our general officers and our officers and sergeants who train young lieutenants. I had the chance to speak to some of the lieutenants. First of all, my first impression is, it's an amazing country where people volunteer in the face of danger,” Bush said. “These lieutenants – Marine lieutenants fully understand the nature of the world in which we live, and they're willing to serve; willing to serve to protect and defend this country, and they're willing to serve to help shape the conditions so that the world is more peaceful.”

As the president ate lunch with the Marines at O’Bannon Hall, he was able to explain his desires for the future leaders of the Corps.

“He expressed his wish for us to continue to see that there is a purpose behind the mission. It definitely allowed the Marines to understand that as long as we are in the fight and there is a reason why we need to continue to fight, then we need to continue to motivate them to continue on,” said 2nd Lt. Steven Richardson, C Company, The Basic School. “He mentioned briefly about an e-mail he had received from a family who had lost a son in Iraq. He talked about that and how he had brought that up last night by actually calling the family and letting them know that he understands their loss and that the loss of a son is not something to over look. There still is a purpose to why we are still in Iraq.”

During the president’s address to the nation last night, he outlined a troop reduction of 5,700 by late December, as well as reducing troop levels from 20 to 15 combat brigades by July of 2008.

“In Iraq, an Ally of the United States is fighting for its survival. Terrorists and extremists who are at war with us around the world are seeking to topple Iraq's government, dominate the region and attack us here at home,” Bush said.

If Iraq's young democracy can turn back these enemies, it will mean a more hopeful Middle East and a more secure America, and this Ally has placed its trust in the U.S., he added.
    Bush said our moral and strategic imperatives are one: We must help Iraq defeat those who threaten its future and also threaten ours.

“Eight months ago, we adopted a new strategy to meet that objective, to include a surge in U.S. forces that reached full strength in June. This week, Gen. David Petraeus and Ambassador Ryan Crocker testified before Congress about how that strategy is progressing,” said the president. “In their testimony, these men made clear that our challenge in Iraq is formidable. Yet, they concluded that conditions in Iraq are improving, that we are seizing the initiative from the enemy, and that the troop surge is working.”

The president told the Marines that it was important that he would listen to the recommendations of the military, in particular Gen. Petraeus. He added we're making enough success in Iraq that we can begin bringing some troops home.

“I told the American people last night we've got what's called return on success,” Bush said to the media after lunch. “I also told them that our commanders will have the flexibility and the troops needed to achieve the mission, which is an ally in this war on terror, and a stable country that can self govern a democracy in the heart of the Middle East.”

The president’s words of encouragement to the Marines hit home for the commanding officer of TBS as well.

“He stressed that this is going to be long term war on terror. It is not a short term situation that they are involved in as future leaders of Marines and he really tied it together from the big picture down to what there role is and the tactical level for that larger strategic picture,” said Col. George Smith Jr.. “I just thought it was tremendous that they would do that so it was just additional motivation to anything that was existing motivation.”

He added that the visit served as additional motivation, because the commander in chief thought it is important enough to come down and talk to them about the strategic picture and how important they are within that and the service they are going to render to the nation.

During the president’s address to the media, he emphasized his desire for the nation. He also made it clear that now's the chance for us to come together as a nation; that some of us who believe security was paramount were on opposite sides of the debate, where people said we just simply need to bring our troops home.

“Well, now we've got security in the right direction, and we are bringing our troops home. I call upon the U.S. Congress to listen very carefully to what Gen. Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker reported, and support the troop levels that these two men think are necessary to achieve our objective,” Bush said. “I also expect Congress to support our men and women in uniform and their families, and those who have worn the uniform.”

At the lunch table, family was one concern for the commander in chief as well as the Marines. One Marine brought a concern to the president’s attention.

“He took out a piece of paper and pen and wrote it down. It was like, man, he is really going to go back and look at this and see what he can do. That was really important,” said 2nd Lt. Kerrissa Torres, M Company, The Basic School. “He said he doesn’t really worry about us as Marines; he worries about our families and whether our families are taken care of while we're gone. I thought that was really important. I mean, we volunteered and know what we are getting ourselves into, but he wants to ensure our families are taken care of and they understand, have the knowledge, and support not only him, but us in the military.”

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	070913MCN_PresQuan1_LoRez.jpg‎
Views:	104
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	4922  

Thread Information