Posted on Fri, Sep. 14, 2007
Ooh-rah, Noles
By VIN MANNIX
vmannix@bradenton.com

Marines Lance Cpl. Ryan Fields, left, and Capt. Kenneth Williams deliver a message from Iraq.

Kenneth Williams and Ryan Fields can't wait for tonight's game between Southeast and Manatee at Hawkins Stadium.

So what if their Seminoles are 0-2.

Beating the Hurricanes is all that counts to these former Southeast defensive linemen.

"They need to downgrade that Hurricane to a tropical depression," said Williams, a 1989 grad and ex-defensive tackle.

"I'd like nothing better than to be there, yes sir," said Fields, a 2005 grad and ex-junior varsity defensive end.

Listening to 1490 WWPR's radio broadcast over the Internet will have to do.

Williams and Fields are Marines serving in Iraq.

That the live broadcast will be at 3:30 a.m., their time at kickoff, is OK with them.

"Trust me," Williams said. "If we can be up, we'll be up."

There is no such thing as regular hours in a war zone.

Capt. Kenneth Williams, 36, and Lance Cpl. Ryan Fields, 20, are stationed in Taqaddum, Iraq, in Al Anbar province, west of Baghdad.

Williams, on his third tour in Iraq, is the executive officer of Transportation Support Company, 2nd Supply Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group (Forward). It pushes out equipment and supplies throughout Al Anbar province, running combat logistics patrols to Habbiniyah, Ramadi and Fallujah.

"Our missions can be four hours or a couple of days," said Williams, a reservist, in an interview arranged by the Marine Corps. "It depends on what we have to provide - food, ammo, mail, you name it - and what we have to bring back."

When they do, Fields is the turret gunner on the armored vehicles used on combat logistics patrols.

"I didn't know what to think before I deployed here," said Fields, a reservist like Williams, on his first tour. "I was excited, a little worried. But it's been a lot better than I thought it'd be. It's been interesting so far."

Relatively peaceful, too.

Anbar province was once the center of guerrilla resistance. Hundreds of soldiers and Marines were lost after repeated offensives against insurgents in Fallujah and Ramadi. Among those killed there were Bradenton Marines Christopher Cobb and Scott Dougherty.

An increased troop presence, including Iraqi units, have made a difference, combined with the fact the Iraqi people in the area are fed up with al-Qaida attacks on the civilian population, according to 1st Lt. Philip Klay, public affairs officer with the 2nd Marine Logistics Group.

"Compared to 2004, I've seen a real decrease in hostilities," Williams said. "We're better prepared now. We train for everything, look for everything. We plan for the worst, but if we get back OK then everyone is happy."

Including their families back home.

Williams and his wife, Judith, are the parents of five - son Kenneth III and daughters Morgan, Raigann, Jordanne and Logan, all of whom live in Columbus, Ga.

Fields has three sisters: Rachel, Chelle and Becky. Their parents are Tina and Keith.

Not only did the entire family go to Southeast, but mom and dad were prom queen and prom king back in the day.

Interestingly, when Williams and Fields met for the first time in Orlando before shipping out, Williams discovered not only were they Southeast alums, but he and Tina Fields attended school at the same time.

"She was a few years ahead of me, but I knew the name was familiar," Williams said. "Got me thinking about old times."

Fields thinks about them, too. Especially fishing with his dad on Charlotte Harbor.

"I'm always wondering about what's going on back home," he said.

Barring unforeseen circumstances, their present tours are up in the spring.

Neither spends much time pondering the political fight in Washington over troop withdrawals from Iraq.

"My main focus is the mission - making sure my men are safe," Williams said. "That's my goal."

So is rooting on Southeast tonight.

"Once a Seminole, always a Seminole, yes sir," Fields said.

Vin Mannix local columnist, can be reached at 745-7055 or write him at the Bradenton Herald, Box 921, Bradenton, Fla. 34206.

Ellie