Vietnam Memorial Wall Defaced - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The update on the damage assessment isn’t good.

Looks like it was some sort of an acid was used, and two panels will have to be replaced, several names are now unreadable.

The reason we believe that it was Left Wing Pinko Commie Bastards that did this, is because approximately 10 days ago Eaglesup.us was contacted by the Cindy Sheehan group and were told that if any Vietnam Veterans show up this coming weekend while they are protesting as the Capitol, “The Vietnam Wall will be sprayed”

You can read all about this at http://www.eaglesup.us/

By the way, I am told by an insider sat eaglesup,us that there expecting upwards of 100,000 Veterans to show up in DC this weekend.

The Wall is going to be well protected this weekend.

Semper Fi,
    Bob Neener
    Vietnam 1965-1966

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall web site.
    "If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.

Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Major Michael Davis O'Donnell
    1 January 1970
    Dak To, Vietnam
    Listed as KIA February 7, 1978

Quote Originally Posted by badbob
    The reason we believe that it was Left Wing Pinko Commie Bastards that did this, is because approximately 10 days ago Eaglesup.us was contacted by the Cindy Sheehan group and were told that if any Vietnam Veterans show up this coming weekend while they are protesting as the Capitol, “The Vietnam Wall will be sprayed”

You can read all about this at http://www.eaglesup.us/

Semper Fi,
    Bob Neener
    Vietnam 1965-1966
    I looked briefly on that site for such a threat, but didn't find one. Could you post a direct link?

On March 18, 2007, Tevah Platt reported in New York's Staten Island Advance:

"Though organizers of the peace demonstrations said they respected the Vietnam Memorial, the Eagles' national organizer, Kristinn Taylor, claimed he knew of threats indicating the site might be vandalized by radicals. That fear spread quickly among veterans' groups on the Internet and roused many to travel the Washington seeking to protect it."

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php..._Veterans_Wall

GOE is a coalition of veterans' groups and pro-military organizations that organizes counter-demonstrations during anti-war marches. Taylor said "there are incidents around the country of war memorials being ... vandalized" and pointed to apparent threats on a leftist/anarchist Web site to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

An Aug. 27 comment posted on the DC Indymedia Web site said that "if they [GOE] come to our march we will spray the wall." The comment was referring to an anti-war protest scheduled for Sept. 15. GOE has advertised that it will counter-protest.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.as...20070911d.html

Click on these links for the full story.

I have personally spoken to a Retired Marine who today has had a first hand look at the damage.

His report is that (2) panels were damaged beyond repair, it was definitely an acid because it has permanently etched the granite and several names can no longer be read.

As of Yesterday the DC Police have had the case, they also have a Surveillance video tape provided by the Park Police, so this should all come out in the open soon.

Semper Fi,
    Bob Neener
    Vietnam 1965-1966

Brothers and Sisters in the Corps:

The Washington Times covered the story yesterday the link is at:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/artic...109110043/1004

It appears as though it could be repaired. If not an expensive section replacement.

Condolences to Vietnam Vets and those who were more than just a name on the wall. You took yet another hit.

--->Dave

On 5 Sept in Arkansas another Vietnam memorial was defaced

Re: Vitenam Memorial Desecrated

Vietnam Veterans Memorial defaced
    Andover Townsman | Crystal Bozek and Michelle Morrissey September 05, 2007

Many veterans in town were disappointed to learn last week that someone had vandalized the town's Vietnam Veterans Memorial, requiring the 15-month-old memorial to be sandblasted Wednesday.

"We know that in no way does this reflect how the community feels about our veterans," said Michael Burke, director of veteran services.

The lyrics of a 1970s protest song and a reference to Iraq were scrawled on the monument in the Park. "War, what is it good for, absolutely nothin'," was written in red marker along with a peace sign.

The lyrics are from "War," a song that Motown soul singer Edwin Starr popularized in 1970.

Near the base of the memorial where the phrase "our cause is just" is etched, a vandal wrote "just like in Iraq."

The markings were made with some kind of felt marker, which soaked into the stone, Burke said yesterday. Methuen Monument is helping the town repair the memorial, which was dedicated May 29, 2006.

While there was no structural damage, "the stone does need to be sandblasted," Burke said. He was not sure how much the work would cost, if anything, but said the town was grateful to the Methuen business for stepping in to help.

Police Lt. Harry Collins said the vandalism was under investigation.

Burke said this week he has talked to several veterans and longtime residents, and that no one could remember something like this happening in Andover.

"This is a disappointing event," he said. "This is an anomaly. If someone does have opposition, there are other ways to vocalize that."

In Haverhill earlier this summer, vandals ruined parts of a Korean War Memorial and spray-painted a World War II monument.

There is an ugle connection here, this doesn't say much for our Scociaty.

I’m not sure why I fought for these bastards in the first place ?????.

Bob Neener

Angry Payback is a ***** !

I can not believe anyone could and would vandalize the VVMW. What cowards thoughtless and spineless. It is disrespectfull to all, whose names are on this memorial, including my older brother 40th anniversary on 8/27. Scumbags. It really infuriates me Semper FI Bill Johnson

OK Now are they no camera in that area? Also I will drive my as@ any where to do the same to them we do not need to let the police or courts handle this we need to 1st then if there is anthing left then the courts can have them. That War has now opened back up on they pieces of SHI!s.

This is indeed a sad sad thing to happen there is no respect any more for people who have fought for this nations rights and that is indeed sad.

freedom isn't free

Quote Originally Posted by sgt tony
    OK Now are they no camera in that area?
    When I was there, there was a security guard posted. If I remember correctly, it was some time between 2330 and midnight. I don't know if they're supposed to be posted around the clock though.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkilletsUSMC
    To My Brother Marines who served in Vietnam.

In my eyes this type of attitude is the begining of a civil war, and I for one will take pleasure in "paying back" these punk pieces of ****.
    Thank you my younger brother! I agree 100%! We Viet Nam vets appreciate kind words from you Gulf War Vets and Active duty personnel. But the praise should go to you guys, my brothers and sisters!

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jetdawgg
    This type of behavior is utter garbage and the perps need to be caught and maimed. I have been to the wall several times including May of this year.

Always a haunting, chilling, sober, experience. I don''t agree with the politics of the war in Iraq, but I certainly don't agree with the extremists who have defaced The Wall
    Jet.

It is very good to hear you say that.

Quote Originally Posted by davblay
    Thank you my younger brother! I agree 100%! We Viet Nam vets appreciate kind words from you Gulf War Vets and Active duty personnel. But the praise should go to you guys, my brothers and sisters!

Semper Fi
    in a wierd way I feel like we are all vets of the same war. The war for the soul of america.

Semper Fi.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Dont read this if you have high blood pressure or are prone to strokes

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=102x2986492

Thread Information