Troop Drawdown Gets Mixed Reviews In San Diego
Monica Dean, NBC 7/39 Reporter

POSTED: 8:57 am PDT September 11, 2007
UPDATED: 11:20 am PDT September 11, 2007
SAN DIEGO -- America's top military general in Iraq made his long-awaited report to Congress, recommending local troops come home. But the recommendation is being met with some skepticism in San Diego military circles.

Gen. David Petraeus said he plans to bring back U.S. Marines from Camp Pendleton's 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit this month. Petraeus said, "Coalition and Iraqi security forces have made progress towards achieving security. As a result the United States will be in a position to reduce its forces in Iraq in the months ahead."

Petraeus is calling for the withdrawal of 2,000 U.S. Marines this month. Thirty thousand troops total would be out by next July. But 130,000 U.S. forces would remain.

During the congressional hearing, there was a disruption from protesters and challenges from Democrats.

"It is time to go and time to go now," said Rep. Tom Lantos, a Democrat from California, told the protesters.

Marine Lt. Col. Thomas Richards (retired) said he is skeptical that security in Iraq is as good as Petraeus portrayed it. Richards said he is fearful of the long-term implications of a troop drawdown.

“I'm terribly afraid that when those troops leave, there will be more violence in those areas where the troops are leaving," Richards said.

In Oceanside, a city with great emotional ties to the war in Iraq, the feeling was one of cautious optimism. Eileen Hatch was visiting the military town.

"If they say it's time to bring them home, that's fine with me, but they better make really sure that they're keeping our country safe," Hatch said.

“I have some friends in the Corps that are actually pretty eager to go back," Oceanside resident David Mitchell said. "They'd be disappointed, but I think it's about time we bring them back."

Withdrawing the 13th MEU is still only a recommendation. Until the president approves it, it is not a done deal.

"It would be difficult for him, after this testimony, to say he isn't going to approve that. So I'd say they're probably going to come home. But it's not a sure thing yet," Richards said.

There was no official comment from Camp Pendleton. Petraeus said he sees more troop cuts after July of next year. But recommended President George W. Bush wait until March to decide when go below 130,000 troops in Iraq and at what pace.

Watch Video
video.nbcsandiego.com/player/?id=155021

Ellie