Help with dress blues - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Question for you gentlemen. My sister will soon be getting married to a Marine (not sure if that's a curse or a blessing) and there is a good chance he will want the groomsmen in their blues. I am a former Marine and while I was awarded the NDSM, my discharge was 'uncharacterized' due to lack of time in the Corps. I found the following on another Marine's petition for change of discharge:

The Applicant should be aware that, with respect to nonservice-related administrative matters, i.e., VA benefits, educational pursuits, and especially civilian employment, an uncharacterized separation is considered the equivalent of an honorable or general (under honorable conditions) discharge.

I'm just not sure if something like the wearing of blues is considered nonservice-related administrative matters or if it pertains to regulations about former Marines wearing dress blues.

Anyone happen to know?

If you marched across the grinder, and were called a Marine by the Colonel, or completed the Crucible and were handed an EGA by your drill instructor, then you rate the title, Marine.

That having been said, wear of the uniform (any uniform) is restricted to those with Honorable Discharges. (Check those reg sites). If yours wasn't, then you can't.

Since this is a wedding and not a military related event, I would advise against wearing the uniform anyway. If you want to show off your service, a minature NDSM and a tie tack sized EGA, pinned conservatively to the collar of the suit, work just as well.

Just my 2 cents.

I got out and joined the army, big mistake. I gave my blues and alphas to my little brother who at the time had no blues. He was getting married and instead of forking all the money over for blues I gave him mine

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    That having been said, wear of the uniform (any uniform) is restricted to those with Honorable Discharges. (Check those reg sites). If yours wasn't, then you can't.
    I see what you mean, but my confusion came when I read the part I quoted about an uncharacterized discharge being considered an honorable in some circumstances. I just wasn't sure if this was one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    If you want to show off your service, a minature NDSM and a tie tack sized EGA, pinned conservatively to the collar of the suit, work just as well.
    I'll take the blues

This is the way of the Corps

I've known about this for quite some time. And I've always thought it sucked but that's why we have regulations I suppose. So unless you served during Korea, Vietnam or during the Desert Operations...... I guess we're not worthy.

We're still Marine though. No one can take that away from us.

Go join a Marine Corps League in your area. They've got pretty snazzy attire.

rich

I'm getting a little confused on the wear of the uniform. I have always understood that the uniform could only be worn as a civilian by those that were currently in the military or those that were retired?

Must have been a freakin officer who wrote that Order. There are no "Former" Marines. We just change duty stations.

Truth be told: if your uniform is squared away and you're not acting like a fool, nobody is going to bust your nuts for wearing a dress uniform. Only reason I don't wear mine is that I most likely don't conform to the height/weight standards. (translated: it don't fit anymore)

If you go to www.usmc.mil and look up MCO P1020.34G and go to section 4004 para 2 you can get the information you asked for. Basically the tip of the chevron is centered on the sleeve 4 inches below the shoulder seam.

thanks bros for your help. i am really looking forward to the ball this year. my wife has never been to any military function before. I hope she likes it. Heck she might even give me some vitamin P afterwards! lol

Quote Originally Posted by devildog4life30
    Heck she might even give me some vitamin P afterwards! lol
    Now that is funny, wifes/girlfriends usually get all crazy around all those uniforms, and they just cant stop the water flow...

Maurice

Thread Information