Help with dress blues
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with dress blues

My wife and I will be attending a Marine Corps Ball this year and does anyone know where I can find uniform regs online for the placement of chevrons and service stripes? Its been years since I was in and I cant remember it all. Do I still rate my ribbons and badges for wear as well? I would appreciate any help.

Credits
    Savings
    devildawgforlife30,

You will always rate your medals and badges. I just learned that you have to have earned a NDSM in order to wear your unifirm as a civilian, even if honorable discharged. NOW, I'm ready for the next board.

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sit...20Uniforms.asp

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sit...gs%20Index.asp

SFI
    C

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley
    I just learned that you have to have earned a NDSM in order to wear your unifirm as a civilian, even if honorable discharged.
    Thats good to know as i have on occasion wanted to wear dress blues to a party But not a chance as i have the sorry distinction of having sold my dress blues to one Sgt. (Private) Clayton Lonetree in '82.

Lonetree you out there? Mims here from Bravo Company 1/7, we have delinquent accounts recieveable to the amount of 90 dollars for one full set of dress blues that needs to be settled.

Thanks,

--->Dave

I'm a boot: what's NDSM?

national defense service medal

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley
    I just learned that you have to have earned a NDSM in order to wear your unifirm as a civilian, even if honorable discharged.

Did not know that, I was always under the impression that if you received an Honorable Discharge you were able to wear the appropriate uniform for said occasion as long as you were within regulations, i.e., haircut/shave etc....

Maurice

Credits
    Savings
    Same thing here - I ASSUMED that I could choose to wear Blues when appropriate. I don't - never have, and I am ..... er-uh-ummmm ..... not serviceable ( no the uniforms haven't changed ). Nonetheless, I thought honorable discharge was enough to rate....I do have the NDSM. FYI - I can still run 5 miles, I just need to lie down immediately thereafter for a few days.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Who does not rate a NDSM? Never stood firewatch?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    Who does not rate a NDSM? Never stood firewatch?
    Look at the cutoff dates and you'll see a lot of Not So Cold, Cold War folks are excluded. Go figure!!

I realize what the regulations say, but I've seen plenty of Marines wearing Dress Blues who do not rate the NDSM. I always understood it to be, unofficially anyway, that you put your "Honorable Discharge" button/pin over your right pocket, centered, and you met height/weight/grooming standards, and you wore what you rated. After I was discharged the first time in 1989, without a NDSM, I attended the birthday ball with my wife who was still AD, and I wore my blues without an issue.

Credits
    Savings
    Like I said, now I'm ready for the next board. This is just one more small trivial info that most of us don't know until you learn it coincidentally. I only saw it as I browsed the link I was providing, making sure it was helpful info to devildog4life30. I almost missed it. I'll bet most of us did not know that fact, and I also bet most uniform police aren't gonna call you on it at the Birthday Ball, even if they do know.

PS - Honorable Discharge pin?

what I need to know are the exact placement of the chevrons and service stripes.

Credits
    Savings
    devildog4life30,

The second link I provided to you has all the answers in depth. Click on the link, then click on Chapter 4, and scroll ALL the way down.
    All uniform specs are detailed...even tells you what type of stitch to use to sew them on. If you have further questions after reviewing this info, email me and I will help you find the specific answer.
    SFi
    C

Here's the link...

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sit...gs%20Index.asp

Quote Originally Posted by ssgtt32
    Did not know that, I was always under the impression that if you received an Honorable Discharge you were able to wear the appropriate uniform for said occasion as long as you were within regulations, i.e., haircut/shave etc....

Maurice
    Regardless of what that dumb regulation says, you most certainly rate to wear the uniform SSgt.

The regulations state that you only rate to wear the uniform for either 60 or 90 days after you EAS, can't remember which and the only exception are those who retire.

It's flat out absurd how a 90 year old Marine who served in WW2 and got out as a Corporal doesn't rate to wear his dress blues. I'm going to be giving god knows how many years of my life to the Corps, and i'll be damned if someone tells me I don't rate the uniform after I get out just because I didn't go a full 20 and retire.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    dd4life....have you taken your blues or Alphas to a tailor and told them place new chevrons on your new set of blues for you? Just have them measure them. It shouldn't be a problem to get them to do it. You should still have your uniforms from 4 yrs ago

Thread Information