Finally DEPping in! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I thought I was going to get disqualified for an open surgery I had on my knee about 5 years ago where they reaised part of the bone that is attached to the patellar tendon to raise my kneecap. It was pretty weird - the orthopaedic surgeon was from the same exact small town of about 1000 in NW NJ that I am, and we started talking about my orthopaedic surgeon, whom he said he trained! Eventually he looked at my x-rays, asked about any pain I had (none anymore because I have worked hard to build up my quads to support my knee), and checked out my knee. He was pretty concerned about the fact my kneecap is so loose that "if you pivoted while running it seems like it could dislocate on a whim" but I told him I have never had that problem. He said all I have to do is strengthen the inner thigh muscles, the VMO, and it will be checked before I ship to make sure everything is kosher. I thought I was going to get disqualified and need a waiver, but I walked out of there with a HUGE smile upon my face when I heard otherwise.

It is definatley a relief. I was originally DQd on pre-val and that feeling sucks. My recruiter said they may have me talk to a shrink when I'm there but thats not a given, and that even so that will go fine.

Mike

Good luck man.

and what is BUMED

The Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (BUMED) directs the worldwide medical and dental services and facilities maintained by the Department of the Navy. The mission of BUMED within the national defense structure of the United States is to safeguard the health of Navy and Marine Corps personnel

Turns out Monday I am just going for physical, but not actually swearing in. They said the BUMED hasn't completly been approved but I have been approved to continue to physical, which is a good sign.

Mike

Cool cool... once again good luck bro hope everything works out for you!

When you get to MEPS, and someone ask you what branch your joining. Tell em your joining the Marines, and say it proud. Not even 3/4 of people there have courage to do what your doing. You will get a ton of respect there.

I will say it proud if asked. I'm just annoyed I won't be walking out of there with my red T-shirt.

Mike

I will say it proud if asked. I'm just annoyed I won't be walking out of there with my red T-shirt.
    Hey, I had to go to MEPS 6 times in less than a month because I was always a different height and would therefore be overweight by like 2 pounds. I also had to go back for an orthopaedic consult on my knee too, but I eventually made it through. Just keep your eye on the prize and stay motivated and you will get your poolee shirt, no worries :-)

6 times??? Yikes.

I just hate missing school because I get more work piled on and I have to catch up. That, and I just want to finally have a time frame.

I will never give up. So far its been about 2-3 months with stuff at BUMED.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb
    6 times??? Yikes.

I just hate missing school because I get more work piled on and I have to catch up. That, and I just want to finally have a time frame.

I will never give up. So far its been about 2-3 months with stuff at BUMED.

Mike
    Well if you want to be a Maraine Corps poolee missing some school is a sacrifice you'll have to make. I have to cancel a lot of appointments my clients make with me (I'm a self-employed IT consultant) because of having to do PT with my recruiter, or going to MEPS like I was, but being able to be a part of the Corps is my priority right now. Like you, I got rather frustrated that I had to keep going back for small stupid things and I also wanted a time frame to deal with. I signed my contract 11 October and I found out I am shipping on 13 November. Everyone else got to choose their ship date except for me. I feel concerned I won't be able to get to my IST standards at the very least (I can pass with a 77 on the crunches, but the flex arm hang and the run are my concerns), but I am still going to try like all hell to get there by the 13th anyway. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Well heres the update:

I did the physical and passed everything. The doc told me my waiver should be processed shortly and I should be back this or next week to swear in.

MEPS experience:
    It sucks. Nobody can prepare you for how bad it truely is. The docs here were literally all in there 60s or 70s and dressed like it was a mental institution, coke bottle glasses, all white clothes, etc. I accidently wrote something when I wasn't supposed to in the paperwork room and was pulled outside.
    Doc: Why were you writing?
    Me: I was answering the "Yes" questions as specified sir.
    Doc: I said not to
    Me: I am very sorry sir, I must have overlooked it
    Doc: Do you have ADD?
    Me: No Sir
    Doc: What did you get on your asvab?
    Me: 99 Sir
    Doc: I know your type, you think you're smarter than me
    Me: No Sir
    Doc: Go see the Marine liason and tell them what you did.

Marines just kicked me back to the doc, who I guess decided he'd scared me enough to learn my lesson and let me finish. This guy was a creep, the whole tone of his voice was incredibly serious/dumbfounded.

Bottom line: Meps sucks.

I still am eager to go back and swear in.

Mike

I hate going up to MEPS and you have civilians threathening your military career. I just want to punch this fat overweight guy one time. Tried to disqualify my hearing test because I coughed.

One of my 'old' MEPs doctors was a 82nd airborne surgeon back in Vietnam. I actually had a great conversation with him. I guess I lucked out.

The orthopaedic surgeon who checked out my knee to make sure it was okay ended up being from the SAME exact town of maybe 1000 people that I am from, and we were both 2 hours away from there in Brooklyn! We ended up talking about all of the orthos in the county, what we thought, and he said he trained them all! He was a pretty cool guy, retired Army Colonel. I think I lucked out there too LOL.

Thread Information