? for Ask a Marine
Create Post

? for Ask a Marine

My son will be getting out in Sept. He has tried to re-enlist, to no avail. He did get a DUI 2 years ago, after coming back from Iraq. He did everything he was supposed to do. With the Corps and State. He needs letters of recommendation to re-enlist and his Commanding Officer does not seem to want to give him the letters. He has not been in any trouble since. They have also not given his rank back yet. Any advice on this matter?

Thank You

My son is having trouble re-enlisting. He only has about 2 weeks left. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Sorry to say that The Corps is very hard on this. Perhaps your sons will be satisfied doing a tour in the National Guard? They certainly get a lot of time over there too! My Drill Instructor just extended and did 17 months in Iraq in the NG.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Did your son get his DUI on base or by civilian jurisdiction? The question is because the military is a whole different enity than civilians. There
    is no double jeopardy but there can be page 11 entries put in his Service Record Book if it was a civilian charge. That would be the reason for the letters of recommendation from his superiors. His CO maybe reluctant to give a letter because of the warnings for years "Don't Drink & Drive" and the seriousness of the charges. If it was a military charge it could have been a court martial offence. And with respect to you and your son are you getting the whole side of the story and the full picture. Most military charges after time can be waived if allowed to stay in for the duration of a career. Your son may need to request mast to speak to a Marine higher than his CO if all other superiors to that point are giving letters of recommendation and support for his service and behavior. It would be a long shot but,any shot down range may hit a piece of the target. Good luck to him.

MOM just like Blooper said there may be some thing he is not saying. Yes they are getting harder on drinking and your son may be able to go reserve for a while and then go back active. I wish him the best and just remember he will be a Marine for the rest of his life and to think before he makes decisions that can and might bite him in the backside.

You really can't blame them for the tough stance on the issue with the increase in such problems.

Thank you

Thank you for responding. I certainly don't condone what he did. He has paid for his mistake. But I know of other Marines who have not been penalized as harshly. I appreciate your input.

Thank you

Thank you SGT Tony and Blooper I really appreciate your input. I have had a hard time finding any information. So this is helpful. Starting today he is going through "TAPS" . He really did not want to request MAST. He may try to get out and then come back in. Any thoughts on this? This is really sad, this young man has always wante to be in the Corps and make a career of it.

Any way once a Marine always a Marine is true and they can't take that away from him.

Thank you again for your quick response.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I don't have any input on this subject on firsthand knowledge. But,I would suggest you put in a search for "Prior Service Recruiter". When he gets out and gets settled have him go to a recruiter and find his options. If he is going through "TAPS" they should be giving him some good scoop and packets this week. Again good luck to him.

But I know of other Marines who have not been penalized as harshly.
    I can't give an answer for this except....life isn't fair. Sometimes some get off lightly and some burn. It isn't fair but that's has been the system military and civilian for eons.

Good luck to him...As I mentioned to others persistence is the key. Camp out on the recruiters step and tap his phone line.

"TAPS" inactive reserve

Well my son started "TAPS" yesterday. He said that he could go inactive reserve and check the billets online and apply for those jobs. He said there was one in Quantico for Marksman Instructor. Which is his 2nd MOS. The difference is he is not under contract. Has anyone heard of this?? Any pointers on this subject ?

Thank you all, you all have been very supportive.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    yoyung lady ,try this,go to a liberal congressman,have him/her write the formal letters to hq -usmc,requesting a review of his record up to and after the incident,and let that individual know it cost less to keep him on active duty,than it does to train a greenhorn in his mos.therefore a more suitable response in your son's favor may occur,also ask the base chaplain send letter's.if all fails pay attention to his re-code,#4,means no re-enlistment ever,i know from exp.that code can be an unforgiving hell,,.good luck

Correct Mom. He might just find himself in a better unit and enjoying it. If he is still under contract (time remaining) then he should be able to tranistion right into the reserves or another reserve type unit right away. Have him check those options.

Also, TAPS gives tons of good info, make sure he takes advantage of everything there is to offer.

Thread Information