Choosing MOS
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing MOS

Choosing MOS

I have been reading around and im having trouble finding a soild answer to my biggest question. When speaking to my recruiter he dosent exactly explain how and when I can choose my MOS. I have picked 2 that im definetly interested in but he told me there isnt a way to have the jobs guaranteed. My first choice was Linguist and 2nd Avionics. He told me I would have to choose "Data/Comm" and would be given one of the 8 jobs that are on the list (avionics is one of them). I want to know if its possible to get avionics guaranteed because I dont want to be stuck with a diffrent job that I am not intrested in.

Thanks
    -Mike

First, you join to be a Marine- not any one particular job.

Now, I don't see why you couldn't get a gurantee to do avionics. But, your recruiter has more up to date info than anyone else.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I joined MOS was a request. I requested 0311 or arty. what I got was 2841. Transmitter repair. You are "or should be" subject to the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    First, you join to be a Marine- not any one particular job.

Now, I don't see why you couldn't get a gurantee to do avionics. But, your recruiter has more up to date info than anyone else.
    I'd likely to respectfully disagree on this one. The uniform you wear may say "US Marines" like everyone else, but picking a job that you will be doing every day for the next 4 years of your life is a big big deal and I would want as much of a guarantee as possible to reduce the chances that you will wind up salty and bitter as many one term Marines do.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    When I joined MOS was a request. I requested 0311 or arty. what I got was 2841. Transmitter repair. You are "or should be" subject to the need.
    I'd venture to guess that you joined before we became an All Volunteer, Professional Force.

Now the power of choice is with the enlistee. As long as you have the AFQT score for the job, if you aren't guaranteed the job of your choice, you can surely not join or go look at options in the US Army.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Jcam, again, you are such a woose. It's just a job.Are you real? or a ,,,,,

Jcam, again, you are such a woose. It's just a job.Are you real? or a ,,,,,
    can you please read what I wrote?

when did I ever say "its just a job"

I said job choice is a BIG DEAL BECAUSE YOU WILL BE DOING IT FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS OF YOUR LIFE EVERY DAY.

Please quit jumping to conclusions prematurely.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You are a proofessional force? BS. I red your crap. You need to make it new, for the sake of your ego. " I am Marine, hear me roar"

You are a proofessional force? BS. I red your crap. You need to make it new, for the sake of your ego. " I am Marine, hear me roar"
    "I'm" not a professional force. The United States Military as a whole is an All Volunteer, Professional Force.

Sorry but you obviously have no clue what you're talking about, so I will explain to you what an All Volunteer, Professional Army is.

An all volunteer, professional army is a military that does not rely on conscription for manpower, but instead recruits soldiers through volunteers. An All Volunteer force can attract qualified citizens to enlist rather than join the civilian workforce through many means - including nationalism and monetary benefits.

http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_br...95/index1.html

maybe this link will help.

If the job is more important than the title, you missed something important in boot camp. Sure, we all want to do what we want to do- but life doesn't always work like that. Without getting into the whole long story, I ended up about as far away from what I enlisted to do as is possible. Yet, I managed to love putting on the uniform every day, even if I wasn't always too excited about what I was doing.

If the job is more important than the title, you missed something important in boot camp. Sure, we all want to do what we want to do- but life doesn't always work like that. Without getting into the whole long story, I ended up about as far away from what I enlisted to do as is possible. Yet, I managed to love putting on the uniform every day, even if I wasn't always too excited about what I was doing.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, the only point I tried to make was that picking the right job is very important. You want to get a job you're going to love doing for the next 4 years of your life, so it would behoove you not to screw it up lol.

Hmmmm..... The job is important to me because ill be doing it for the next 4 years. Yes I want to join to be a Marine but they do offer you a choice of which job you would like so whats wrong with picking one that intrests you?

But if you have the ability, why not love putting on a uniform everyday to do a job you are excited about doing?

The most up to date stuff from my recruiter is based off what slots they have available and what you qualify for, they can guarantee you a field, (03XX, etc) but the specific job is somewhat of a toss up. Reserves gets more specific selection but my friend told me they changed his around while keeping him in the infantry field. The new fiscal year starts in October, so they should have all slots open (unless they verbally promised them to other poolees, and they are limited in space), so if you are DEPped in and in contact with your recruiter he should be able to get you into one of those spots. You by no means have to go open contract, and I have heard it is discouraged.

Personally I would do any job just to be a Marine. Since I am given the option to more or less guarantee I get Infantry, and that is what I really want to do and think I will get the most satisfaction out of, I am going to take that option.

I'd definatly ask your recruiter and get on him harder about getting a straight answer. I am sure all recruiters are different (I have heard not great things about the one who preceded my current one), but my recruiter does all he can to make sure we get put into the best possible situation.

Mike

You don't pick your MOS, you pick the field.
    Echo_Four Bravo said that in a previous thread this year. I think it clarifies more on his orignal question...

So, if I understand the active duty process correctly:

You pick your MOS fields with your recruiter
    You go to and graduate boot camp, thus becoming a Marine (THE MOST IMPORTANT PART)
    You go to MCT and at the end of training you are assigned your job in one of your top 3 MOS field choices, IF there is an opening.

I could be compeletly wrong though.

I would believe there is a way to contract a spot in a specific job, but as is always said recruiters have the most up to date information.

I believe Accord had a recent post about the MOS job selection process at MCT that is probably 100% better then mine considering he is a Marine and just went through the process.

My recruiter had me write down what my top three career choice would be. Then he said that I was selected for Combat Support and that I can get any job in that field at the needs of the Marine Corps. The jobs in there were Field Artillary, LAAD Gunner, and AAV Crewmember so he said Ill get one of those jobs.

Thread Information