MCRD San Diego 11/1980-2/1981 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My name is Mike. I was in platoon 1043 in 1980. Cpl Tipton was my DI. OMG! He puts that guy in full metal jacket to shame. What a DI!!!!!

Yes, Cpl Tipton was one crazy, tough DI.. Won the Navy-Marine medal for pulling others out of a burning helicopter.. Highest non-combat award. He found a rattler during a march at pendalton and was chewing on it while we were humping the force march.

My name is Brad, I was also in 1043 in 1980, our senior was SSGT Campbell and we had Sgt Hauge & Sgt Hayhurst.. Our guide was also series guide.. I was squad leader most of the time.. But went Unk at the rifle range, I was made guide of the Unk platoon that week, and missed mess duty, darn! Meritorious PFC out of boot camp and went into Aviation Ordnance; loading bombs on planes..

ive lost my MCRD picture book from 1043, I'd love to find a replacement!

I also was in Plt 1043 in 1980 and I also recall Cpl Tipton chewing the tail off that rattlesnake and putting it in his pouch. I also recall one saturday in our barracks, wer were cleaning up...the 4 squad leaders were in the DI office getting their ass chewed. Meanwhile, we had just sprayed Pledge on the squadbay floor to wax it and next thing ya know the DI's were yelling at the recruits to get the F*** out of their office. Those 4 guys came running out, hit the pledge on the floor and they all fell down and slid across the floor.

SeattleAviator, I may have a spare yearbook from plt 1043, I will do some looking. Contact me at xantith@yahoo.com and maybe I can set you up.

Well JTipton is no longer at work he's retired but I know he's still at work somewhere. We have no way to contact him anymore and it's been 36 years since we've last seen him. Dec 19, 1980 was my first day in and when I arrived it was on a Friday, we got in around midnight and the barber shop was closed. I met so many people at the chow hall that wanted to talk to me because I had a full head of hair and I thought I had all these new friends but when Monday came and the barber shop opened I joined the ranks of the unknown boot. I tried to walk up and talk to those same guys and just got yelled at. Now today it's been 36 years, it really doesn't feel like that long ago but it was a lifetime ago.

I posted my picture again on FB and contacted my two friends from our platoon, I wish there was a way to find out from my other friends from our platoon 1126 that graduated early 1981 does anyone know?

Thread Information