too much too soon
Create Post

too much too soon

I am afraid that this real time reporting of the war, is going to have a negative effect on the support of our troops in the field. This is not a war that is going to be won by the new technological weapons we see each day. This is gonna get down and dirty, like all wars. The grunt in the streets will win this . Close in fighting in the streets.
    WWII was reported on the radio and in the papers. All carefully edited. All time delayed. The people at home knew we were winning a war againsst the evil dictator in Europe. They were blissfully ignorant of war itself.
    In Viet Nam, the T V brought us reports nightly . These were delayed and edited for content. But, this was hard reporting, the body count, the villages distroyed, the people left homeless, the american casuallities. Even with the editing, the home front turned against the field forces.
    Now , we see everything, Each shot taken, each injury and death is reported. The public is going to take the price of victory as too high. they will demand we stop. War isn't a game. The cost is always high, Maybe too high. but it is the cost when you get into a war.
    I worry that all the enemy has to do is tune into CNN and he will find the location, strength and moral of any unit in the military. Just today they told how our front line troops were low on food and ammo. Hello! am I the only one who sees something wrong in all this. Please unjderstand, I am not against freedom of the press. But when it demoralizes the american public and endangers our troops, something must be done.
    May God bless our troops .

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Double edged sword...

We serve and defend the Constitution, which grants the freedoms we are concerned with. I'm with you on Too Much Info going out into the airwaves.

Do we trust the law makers or the enforcers, to decide when enough is enough. I think the bottom line has to be NATIONAL SECURITY, and the security of those that defend it.

If we don't protect National security, will we have a Nation to defend??

As for real time information reporting, it's a necessary trend of our society. We are not a nation of 0900 to 1700 GMT. We scan several time zones, and work 24-7. Unless someone is setting in front of the TV all day (when do they work??), I think the Media is supplying information to the masses, when the masses CAN view it.

But, this is just 2 more cents worth.

Sempers to all, and God Bless

Registered User Free Member JChristin's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The Press is irresponsible when reporting troop location, supply levels - unless reported as freshly restocked and troops are ready to continue rolling forward. Personally, I think members of the press would make the ideal "human shield."

However, once the world - every person witnesses the reality of war - the killing of our young -our children - and feels the loss deep within the human spirit, perhaps, just perhaps, the world may begin the process of preventing evil dictators from gaining power. The enslavement of people and the repression of a society will no longer be tolerated. We fought a war to settle that question ourselves. Pictures of the dying (however undignified) may serve as the catalyst for change.

Hopefully, the promotion of the freedom for the right of self-determination will prevail and the human race will benefit.

semper fi,
    jchristin

Thread Information