Son Leaving for Boot Camp on 8/27...a Mom's questions...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Son Leaving for Boot Camp on 8/27...a Mom's questions...

Hello Marines,
    My son leaves for Parris Island on 8/27. I know he can't bring a stitch of anything with him...but what kinds of items can I send him once I get his address? I was advised never to write any sentimental things on the outside of the box and never to send homemade chocolate chip cookies or stuff like that....but what can I send him? Vitamins? Deodorant? Gum? Shaving cream? Bug spray? Cortisone cream for all the sand flea bites??

Also, this might be a stupid question, but who does their laundry? Is there a laundry room where all the recruits do their own wash?

Also, is there a chance he could be injured at Boot Camp by an explosive or a weapon? Or let me phrase that another way...do they deal with live ammunition at Boot Camp or afterwards at the next phase of training?

Is Parris Island in North or South Carolina? We just drove up and down 95 from Florida back to our home in PA (for vacation) and never saw a sign for Parris Island along the way. Is this for a reason?

We thought it was so awesome though...when we were driving past the Andrews Air Force Base exit...to see right in front of us, taking off, a huge jet plane that said "United States of America" on the side with a flag. We were jazzed that it could've been the President!! I know there are probably a few huge jets that say that on the side... but we thought it was very cool.

Any last minute recommendations for my son? He has been running a few miles daily and doing his pushups and pullups...but his hair is on the long shaggy side and he has a goatee. Should he get a hair cut before he leaves? Not a buzz cut...but just a short-guy type cut. I'm not sure he should arrive at BC with his shaggy hair and goatee....I know it'll all be shaved off anyway...but will they have a more favorable impression of him if he is clean shaven when he arrives? These are things that only a Mom worries about!!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Amy

It is really best to only send your recruit letters and maybe an occasional newspaper clipping if there is something of real interest to him. Everything he needs will be provided, and anything you send will probably be thrown away, and could get him into trouble.

They will put their laundry in a big bag and it will be done and returned to them. It is all washed at once, so how clean anything gets is up for debate. It beats how we did it in San Diego in the 90's, cold water and cement tables with scrub brushes.

The recruits will go to the rifle range and shoot every day for a week. It isn't really possible to learn to shoot if you don't actually shoot. They will also do a few other things with live ammunition. There is always a chance of being injured in training, but it is small~ particularly at boot camp. Everything is closely monitored and they are well trained before any ammo is given to them. Honestly though, if we trained in such a way as to ensure that there were never injuries during training, our Marines would not be prepared when they go into harm's way.

Paris Island is in SC. I also went down 95 south into Florida and never saw an exit that mentioned PI. But then, it isn't all that close to the interstate. It is very near Beaufort, SC and Savannah, GA isn't far away.

His hair doesn't matter much. Shaving would be a good idea before he went.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Echo_Four_Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by tohegal
    Hello Marines,
    My son leaves for Parris Island on 8/27. I know he can't bring a stitch of anything with him...but what kinds of items can I send him once I get his address? I was advised never to write any sentimental things on the outside of the box and never to send homemade chocolate chip cookies or stuff like that....but what can I send him? Vitamins? Deodorant? Gum? Shaving cream? Bug spray? Cortisone cream for all the sand flea bites??

Also, this might be a stupid question, but who does their laundry? Is there a laundry room where all the recruits do their own wash?

Also, is there a chance he could be injured at Boot Camp by an explosive or a weapon? Or let me phrase that another way...do they deal with live ammunition at Boot Camp or afterwards at the next phase of training?

Is Parris Island in North or South Carolina? We just drove up and down 95 from Florida back to our home in PA (for vacation) and never saw a sign for Parris Island along the way. Is this for a reason?

We thought it was so awesome though...when we were driving past the Andrews Air Force Base exit...to see right in front of us, taking off, a huge jet plane that said "United States of America" on the side with a flag. We were jazzed that it could've been the President!! I know there are probably a few huge jets that say that on the side... but we thought it was very cool.

Any last minute recommendations for my son? He has been running a few miles daily and doing his pushups and pullups...but his hair is on the long shaggy side and he has a goatee. Should he get a hair cut before he leaves? Not a buzz cut...but just a short-guy type cut. I'm not sure he should arrive at BC with his shaggy hair and goatee....I know it'll all be shaved off anyway...but will they have a more favorable impression of him if he is clean shaven when he arrives? These are things that only a Mom worries about!!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Amy
    Very few things motivate a Recruit more than hearing their name at Mail Call. You should simply write often and inspire others to write to him, too. Remember that they do not have TV, radio, or regular access to newspapers. They would love to hear news of home and friends even if it's just idle gossip. Photographs are nice, too.

It is extremely unlikely that he will be injured by an explosive or firearm during initial training. As much as we play with very dangerous toys, we've become very good at handling them. Us older Marines are especially watchful of our younger brothers. Perhaps the most dangerous activity is hand grenade throwing. Trust me when I say that the Drill Instructor is VERY close to the recruit when a live grenade is involved. He's practically in the other guys uniform. They ensure that the weapon is handled and employed safely (for our side at least, who cares about the enemy.)

Your son will be in good hands.

Credits
    Savings
    Good to know rvillac2. I will remember that, and just write to him often. And pray for him every time I think of it! Thanks!

As far as mail is concerned you may be allowed to send him more then just letters. We were allowed to have power bars sent to us and they were kept in the DI's office until events like Physical Fitness Tests etc. It'll be a little while into boot camp before you hear from him because first phase is all about taking them out of the mindset of a civilian and he we will be put on an "island" so to speak in his mind. But yes as mentioned before letters, photos, and news of home and what's going on in the world is always good. While I was in boot at one point we all thought that we were going back into battle with North Korea and that they'd bombed somebody haha. So yeah, news is good.

Tell him good luck from myself and all the other Marines and support him with everything he does and everything will work out.

my 2 cents

I wouldn't send him any cookies or snacks or any stuff like that. Maybe power bars are okay now but he's not going down there for snack time. My DI's had fits when that stuff came in, every great once in a while they let us taste something, maybe once. But usually they made the Marine who received the package regret it was sent to him. We had this guy, Kline, his family sent him a 12 inch, solid, chocolate easter bunny. Oh boy. DI Sgt. Wallace, and DI Sgt. Baker made him open his mouth and then they forced that thing down his mouth like a tree branch into a wood chipper, in practically no time. And then a few weeks later, he was sent a can of Copenhagen. DI Sgt. Baker told him to open his canteen, he then opened the can of dip and told Kline to tilt his head back. Then he poured the whole thing, I swear on my mother, lol, he poured the whole tin in his mouth, and then he had him drink whole the canteen. Or try to. LOL. Kline puked everywhere. (Disclaimer; Kline was a 2nd phase pick up, and not what I would say a stellar achiever in boot camp) LOL

2nd disclaimer - Mamm, I had a unique experience at boot camp (everybody does,) with a crazy and unique bunch of Drill Instructors. This was back a few days ago and probably nothing like what your son will see today. So don't worry, but, don't send him any dip/tobacco or any chocolate easter bunnies, or in his case, No Halloween candy.

Tell your son to shave his face and to get his hair trimmed. He's getting close, and I think it's time for him to start focusing on what he's about to do, and try to get his head (mentally) in the game, as much as possible.

And don't you worry, Mamm, he's in good hands down there and nobody wants to hurt him. They want to make him a Marine.

first off let me mention Ma'am you wont have to worry your son will not even encounter the practice grenades at Boot Camp....that will come in the next phase of training when he goes to Jacksonville, NC to SOI .....i recently Graduated from Parris Island back in May...so any questions you may have for more recent Happenings feel free to PM me and i will be glad to talk to you about everything i experienced...as well as i just graduated from my training at SOI in jacksonville, NC only 2 weeks ago.

Oh, and Ma'am,...try sticking to strictly Letters, news paper clippings and Pictures as well.....your son can ask his Drill Instructors or they will inform them of stuff like Power bars and when they will be allowed to recieve such items from their families if at all

Amy tell his friends to write him as well. The more mail he gets the better. His life is going to hurt him for a little while. Oh dont worry we all get through it. I have to echo what everyone says about packages, DONT SEND THEM. We had a recruit that thought it would be cool if his mom sent enough CC cookies in for the platoon. Not so cool for him he was barfing cookies through his nose during PT. Do not send him bad news, do not whine or complain about things going on at home. What he will need is positive reinforcment and encouragement from his family and friends. He will have enough on his mind without having to worry about whats going on at home.

Good luck and Semper FI

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't send food items because the DIs will either make him eat it all at once, then make him work it off. Meaning they like to play games and sweat it out of you. When I was in Boot Camp a guy in my Platoon got a sheet birthday cake, what a day that was. He had to stay in the duty hut and three of us recruits would switch off through the whole Platoon and eat the cake for time. I went in the Duty Hut four or five times, until that whole cake was done. Then the Platoon had to work the cake off, we went to the pit and got bent. Also don't spray the letters to make them smell good, don't send colored envolopes or he will be bent also. Also the more letters you get the more push ups you do, also if you don't get mail you do push ups. Either way you can't win and you do push ups. You do your wash outside on the wash rack as how I did it.

Semper Fi

Don't worry

he is in good hands and he will all way remember this that he left for bc, it would be a good Ideal if he cuts his hair and shave,but the drill sgt will yell at every one any ways does not matter what they look like or what color they are so mam don't worry about the small stuff because when you go and see him at grad, you will see how pround he is juct to look at him you will be able to tell. at that time and second will last you a life time and for him he will be a Marine for ever no matter what so don't worry just be pround that you have brought up a man and a Marine. ps God bless you for giving us one more Marine in are world

I agree with my Brothers here....mail,mail and more mail. From anyone, it does wonderful things for morale.

Yo, mail and more mail, but please no lip smugges or smelling envelops. Gee, tell all the gals that. Hated that chit. lmao

Credits
    Savings
    I've heard about the "no sweets" rule....I can only imagine what hell it is when a recruit gets homemade cookies from Mom! I will not do that to the platoon..or to my son! So, the overall consensus is letters from home, from everyone....and no stinky kisses or hugs written on the outside! Are photos of our pets ok to send? The dog is really going to miss him...and vice versa. I don't want him to be punished for having a picture of the dog....so I won't send one if that is something the DI's don't like.
    I am so proud of him already...I can't even imagine what Graduation Day will be like. I'll be the one crying my eyes out and laughing with joy at the same time.
    Thanks Marines...for all of your great answers. You helped a lot!!

with all due respect Ma'am....you'll be crying along with everyone else in the stands.....

Thread Information