Bronze Star....
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bronze Star....

Bronze Star....

Someone tell me if they heard of higher enlisted Marines getting the Bronze for being pencil pushers. There was another podunk Iowan who is a 1st shirt in the guard who recieved a Bronze for pushing the pencil and correcting a few errors with his eraser, had something to do with convoys wracking up 2,000,000 miles. A former friend ( traitor fuqer) was a CSM in Iraq and got the same thing for the exact same mileage. I dont remember hearing of a Marine Co. Gunny,1st shirt or SgtMaj who were pencil pushers recieve it during my time in the Corps. The only reason I'm pizzed about this is because we have young men and women loosing arms,legs,partial skulls who get a purple hearts. . Those are the deserving star winners......................

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool Medal's Don't Feed The Bulldog!!!!

I SAW IT OFTEN,REMINGTON RAIDER'S;IN THE 'NAM ERA.THE BIG DIFFERENCE WAS THE (COMBAT DISTINGUISHING DEVICE)W/V-SPEAK'S FOR ITSELF!!! S/F

LOOK AT FATASS murtha - he got one and was ashamed of how he got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

if you ate dick,you'd be ashamed of it to..... bootlace15 out

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Mirtha,,,,,, Almost laughable, Almost.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    saw a cook get one for volunteering several times to go to the nam...like fist said though, it's the combat V that sets it apart and makes you look at the man in awe.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I once met a man who was a company clerk with an Army unit in the Nam. He wrote a very inspiring recommendation for himself, got it indorsed by his Commander, then on up the line to the Secretary of the Army. Got himself a SILVER STAR for what ever he just made up! Told me this himself, and had proof of his status, and he did! Everything was in order and no one can dispute his authorization wo wear it. He said he just wanted to prove that a clerk had enough power to get it done. But he never corrected that little experiment, still wearing it on his lapel now that he's retired. So I guess it would be a piece of cake for a well trained clerk to write up a Bronze star!

Sadly, it does happen. And, the Bronze Star can, in fact, be awarded for "Meritorous" service, not just valor in combat. Pencil pushing in a combat zone could qualify as "Meritorous" service.

This is why there is the "V" distinguishing device, denoting Valor in combat. You see someone with a Bronze Star, no "V", it's "Meritorous". In Vietnam, it was referred to by some as the "Field Grade Good Conduct Medal".

Dav, I have no doubt your story is true. Jacked the hell up, but true nonetheless.

I was told not to long ago that there were 72 guardsman recieved the bronze star in one state and they were all pencil pushers. Even if its considered a Field grade good conduct its just damn shameful that the pencil pusher/office poogee should earn it unless he picked up a weapon and popped off a few rounds at the enemy who were trying to overrun the CP !

This is from SECNAVINST 1650.1G.

Bronze Star Medal (BS)
    a. Authorization. Executive Order (E.O.) 9419 of 4
    February 1944 as modified by E.O. 11046 of 24 August 1962 and
    the Defense Authorization Act of 2001, Section 1133.
    b. Eligibility Requirements
    (1) Awarded to any person who, while serving in any
    capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States, distinguishes
    himself/herself on or after 7 December 1941 by heroic or
    meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation
    in aerial flight.
    (a) while engaged in an action against an enemy
    of the United States;
    (b) while engaged in military operations involving
    conflict with an opposing foreign force; or
    (c) while serving with friendly foreign forces
    engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in
    which the United States is not a belligerent party.
    (2) To justify this decoration, accomplishment or
    performance of duty above that normally expected, and sufficient
    to distinguish the individual among those performing comparable
    duties is required, although less than the requirements for the
    Silver Star or Legion of Merit. Minor acts of heroism in combat
    or single acts of merit or meritorious service in connection
    with military or naval operations may justify this award.
    (3) The recipient must be in receipt of Imminent
    Danger Pay during the qualifying period.
    c. Combat Distinguishing Device. The Combat Distinguishing
    Device may be authorized for valor (heroism).

So yes, someone can be awarded this Medal for being a "Pencil Pusher".
    If the facts are inflated.

"....Got himself a SILVER STAR for what ever he just made up! Told me this himself, and had proof of his status, and he did! Everything was in order and no one can dispute his authorization wo wear it. He said he just wanted to prove that a clerk had enough power to get it done. But he never corrected that little experiment, still wearing it on his lapel now that he's retired...."

Hey davblay,
    You need to let your buddy know that he is a "FAKE" and should be arrested and charged under the "Stolen Valor Act". Let alone Falsifying an Official Document.
    Make me sick to read such TRASH!!!

Thumbs down

I agree with the others,without the "V" for valor it's just a glorified typin award I heard you could get one in the Air Force for makin it through boot camp without gettin caught touchin yourself!!!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Any Marine with the V device should not pay for his first drink down at the MCL. My Sea Daddy Top Brown got his for, "Doing what every other Marine was doing as part of the job, someone just noticed when I did it."

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by a4ever
    "....Got himself a SILVER STAR for what ever he just made up! Told me this himself, and had proof of his status, and he did! Everything was in order and no one can dispute his authorization wo wear it. He said he just wanted to prove that a clerk had enough power to get it done. But he never corrected that little experiment, still wearing it on his lapel now that he's retired...."

Hey davblay,
    You need to let your buddy know that he is a "FAKE" and should be arrested and charged under the "Stolen Valor Act". Let alone Falsifying an Official Document.
    Make me sick to read such TRASH!!!
    Hey SSGT, I had a Major in the Army JAG to investigate this when I found out about it. after 9 months of "INVESTIGATING" they found "NO PROOF OF FRAUD" as it was signed by all the appropriate officers at the time, all concurring as to the facts stated on the recommendation. This was in 1985, the incident took place in Nam in 1968 (I believe). So no one was available to dispute the official recommendation, nor did the JAG seem to interested in it. I don't know if the Stolen Valor Act was in force at that timme (1985) but either way it's over and done now, and I didn't say he was my BUDDY! I said "I once met a man"!

How many that recieved it would wear it if it had the intitals "PP" (pencil pusher) on it ?? I bet they would requesrt to not recieve it or maybe take the "PP" off of it ........ Guess I shouldnt dwell on it but IT does bug me that they hand em out so freely !!!!

Thread Information